Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 05:10 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,719,775 times

Advertisements

The only brick walls my family seems to have come across so far is my mother's family out west. We don't know if or how much Native American is in our blood because records are very unclear. We do know, however, that we're related to the Outlaw Jesse James. Everything else we have figured out though (like where our Scottish ancestors came to America from and when and what other clans we're related to).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 11:22 AM

3 posts, read 7,070 times
Default Using WW II Draft REGISTRATIONS to locate relatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by aomething View Post
I've been the family genealogist since I was twelve and have since written 2 books for families, manage 2 websites and a genealogy business.

What has been your brick wall to hit and can't get through?

I have found out that I have a half uncle and half aunt from Grandfather's first marriage, but they would be almost 88 years old now and dont' even know if they are still alive. Dont have a clue where to look for them, as they are no where to be found after 1930 census. Can't look up 1940 census for a few more years! Brick wall!!!
Look at WW II DRAFT REGISTRATIONS to locate in 1942!

Old 06-22-2009, 11:37 AM

3 posts, read 7,070 times
Default Albert James Collins Married SARAH MAE HUNT

The Census has wife of Albert James as Sarah Collins(Sarah Hunt) and she is not a child of Eliphalet. The other Sarah is the child of Eliphalet and Mary Jones Evans COLLINS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djf863000 View Post
Yes this is what I have for the most part, though always wonder about the Sarah Collins born 1860, that would make her mom 53 when she gave birth to her.

Mary Jones was previously married too.

In the 1830 census it shows Eliphalet head with one wife and one boy. Sadly it doesn't name them, but it made me think Eliphalet had another wife before Mary. (so a total of 3 marriages)

I had hope it would tell me exactly where in NY and VT they were all born, so I could order their birth/baptism certificate.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:41 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
I haven't visited this thread for a while, my brick walls remaine the same but on a good note I met a distant relative here who is also looking for the same brick wall!

Old 07-03-2009, 10:24 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
I havent read all of the posts through but, I wanted to respond to the DNA thing and it may have already been answered.

My brother took the DNA test on Family Tree for the Davis project and it was reasonabily priced. We then transferred the same data to the YSearch, that goes across several databases and then for $15.00 the info was transferred to the NGeo Project. The Nat Geo project is not for identifying ancestors as we are interested in. It is underwritten by IBM and is trying to determine global immigrations patterns.

Quote:
I'll save you all a lot of money and frustration. We did the PBS/National Gepgraphic DNA test 3 years ago. We sent the test to a Texas PO Box, and they in turn sent it to the Arizona State University that does their testing. A few weeks later you get a map and a disc showing your start in Africa to someplace your ancestors ended up in Europe.
All of the tests come back basically the same
I have a brick wall on the paternal side. Where did Henry Davis(b approx mid to late 1700's) of Wilkinson Co, GA, originate from other than a statement of born iin NC. Also his wife, Nancy Potts. Henry married her in Kentucky, according to family history. Their oldest known child born around 1800.

Then Henry and Nancy had a son Henry who married Mary Ann Boon in wilkinson co, GA. Mary Ann was the daughter of Raliffe and Satsy Boon. Those Boons came through SC from NC and the Isle of Wight. But which Boons in SC did they originate from ?

Henry and Mary Ann had a son Henry who married Malisa Paulk. Her family was Micajah and Mary Ducker. Which Ducker line did Mary descend from ?

Get with a group of good researchers and learn from them as to correct research. Dont just take what someone has posted on line with no sources. That can be used as a tool for research just dont just accept as "gospel". Unfortunately, most really well researched trees arent public or are well guarded.

Do not forget the DAR as a resource. Their library in Washington is fabulous.

Aint it fun ! Great thread. Back to reading. And....I love Rootweb, the granddaddy of sites and so much is there.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:58 AM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,745,253 times
I have been working on my tree since 2001...mine is a bit more confusing since My family goes Back to Spain & France.

But I have been able to trace back on the maternal and paternal side all the way to the early 1700's.

I am still working very avidly in my Geneology tree.

This website My be of help to someone here tracing their ancestors:

Ellis Island - www.ellisisland.org ellisisland (http://www.joeant.com/DIR/info/get/10180/16135/ - broken link)

Old 10-06-2009, 08:56 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Are there any other new genealogy threads ?

Old 11-03-2009, 05:04 PM

4 posts, read 11,665 times
good afternoon.i am still trying to locate how adam and william heath and their families obtained their slaves in surry and charles county,virginia ?thomas heath in 1772 according to his probate records is in halifax,north carolina with his family and slaves. on the 1807 probate records of warren county,georgia abraham heath list his slaves and in 1838 in monroe county,georgia benjamin heath list his slaves and on the 1870 census of davis [cass ] county texas on pages 23,or 24, and 63 and 64 verifies my family as the former slaves of the heath's and next door to my family is william heath as well as in 1880 in cass county,texas.i am trying to do like alex haley and trace my family back to africa.thank you.dawah_ma_90221@yahoo.com-sheikhm...oo.com-p.o.box 338-compton,ca.90223

Old 11-06-2009, 02:49 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
For us it's my father's grandfather. We know where and when he died, but there is no record of where he was buried.

I checked cemeteries and records around the area and then my brother reminded me he died in February, in Iowa. They could have put is frozen body in the back of a wagon and carried him??? Frustrating.

Or the records from my fathers adoption. Can't get them. Don't know who I am. Frustrating.
Go to the Town Clerk of where the man died. We found many times mid 1800s deaths were not even reported nor the poerson buried until the winter broke and snows melted (plays havoc with cemeteries). However, the death had to be reported. We got a Dec. 1847 death in an 1848 Clerk's registar.... it was Feb. before he was moved to the cemetery.

If you are lucky, they will have records. If not, go to the Town Historian. Go to the County clerk.... If records were kept, you wil find it.

My brick wall is a birth in NY in 1793.... if the family had been in MA a few months longer, no problem. In NY, no records.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:17 AM

793 posts, read 2,212,939 times
I wondering if you still do requests?

It is more about helping me figuring out something and where to find answers.

I have William Hunt born in 1805 in Vermont living in Huron/Erie county, Ohio in 1830. married Abigail McNutt that year.

Anyway I was looking to see if there were more Hunt families living in the area at that time, and maybe giving me clues who would be William's parents.

I found a certain Hiel Hunt, which I thought was a good candidate for being William's father. He lived in the same area (Huron county) at the same time and had children born as early as 1806 in Vermont State. He marred Anna Blanchard in 1805 in Vermont too.

The problem is in the family history, it does not talk about a son William born in 1805. It list all their children and where they were born. They had a William but born much later.

So they can't be his parents, even though they would be almost like a perfect match as I read somewhere that they lived in the same township as William as a while.

My only thoughts at the time, they have to be related somehow, but how?

I am a member at ancestry, so I can look up some records and family tree that people posted online.

I feel I am so close of finding who was William's father, but still not there yet. And I don't where to turn.

I need a push in the right direction. You can PM me if you prefer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy