Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 09:49 AM

1,635 posts, read 3,638,803 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am not the one who started this thread but I thought I'd give it a try. I am quite rusty at this having not worked on it much in the last few years and am no longer on the same computer that had all my bookmarks so I am afraid I might not be much help to you, anyway. In fact, I went ahead and did a few searches and I'm guessing that everything I came up with was something that YOU have put out there! LOL!

Since you have access to ancestry.com right now and have checked the censuses, I am not sure where to go from there. If it was me, I would make sure I'd played around with other last names that "Hunt" might have derived from, such as "Huntress" or that sort of thing including misspellings such as "Hant". In my defense on that last one, stranger things have happened! LOL! Of course, I'd check every census in the surrounding areas, too.

Also, have you checked findagrave.com or other such sites for a "Hunt" that might have died about that time? Have you looked for/found Abigail's family in that area around that time?

Be sure to check surrounding counties and even states. For instance, Huron, OH isn't that far from Michigan...or for that matter, Indiana or Pennsylvania.

I ran a quick search of "1805 vermont history" and came up with this page: Vermont History Timeline, Images, Windsor, Samuel de Champlain that has some interesting ideas for what might have happened to William's father (War of 1812) or why William or the family might have left (hard times came to Vermont after the war)...etc.

Several years ago, I found a ton of history on one of my family lines through a simple Google search so never underestimate the power of a little thing like that. Don't forget to put a space in the middle of Mc Nutt sometimes, too. Of course, I'm probably telling you things you already know again. Just know that my heart is in the right place. Haha! Misspellings were rife in the censuses in years past so it's always good to play around with spellings as you search...and don't forget to try other forms of the names such as William being "Bill". Oh...and don't forget to use only lower case letters in your searches!

In looking for William's father, search for someone with a first name that matches one of his children's, i.e. "Andrew" is his first born and as you know, it is still a common practice to name your firstborn after a parent, sibling or ancestor. That could even help in confirming a mother or grandmother for him or Abigail. In fact, you might want to check to see if Heil Hunt's family has any other names in common with William's family.

Anyway, here are a couple of links to what are probably your pages:

William Hunt (1805 - 1870) - Ancestry.com

Collins and Hunt - Freeborn - Family History & Genealogy Message Board - Ancestry.com

HUNT, VT>OH>MN

I no longer have access to ancestry.com but I'm assuming you've looked up other generic searches in their Obituaries for the various states you are aware of and other states nearby?

Oh...and don't forget to search for genealogical societies in the areas your family lived. They may be able to do a quick search through their books or even have a member with that name in their family line.

Well, I hope I've at least given you some ideas that might "push you in the right direction" somehow.

Happy hunting!

MrsG

P.S. Once you get a little more info and are ready to have some help from someone in the area, you might try seeing if there's anyone signed up to help at raogk.org (Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness) in that particular area. I couldn't get their website to load just now but they are listed in a Family Tree Magazine article on 101 Best Websites 2010 for genealogy: 101 Best Websites 2010: Best Big Genealogy Sites - Family Tree Magazine. It looks like a great list for us all!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djf863000 View Post
I wondering if you still do requests?

It is more about helping me figuring out something and where to find answers.

I have William Hunt born in 1805 in Vermont living in Huron/Erie county, Ohio in 1830. married Abigail McNutt that year.

Anyway I was looking to see if there were more Hunt families living in the area at that time, and maybe giving me clues who would be William's parents.

I found a certain Hiel Hunt, which I thought was a good candidate for being William's father. He lived in the same area (Huron county) at the same time and had children born as early as 1806 in Vermont State. He marred Anna Blanchard in 1805 in Vermont too.

The problem is in the family history, it does not talk about a son William born in 1805. It list all their children and where they were born. They had a William but born much later.

So they can't be his parents, even though they would be almost like a perfect match as I read somewhere that they lived in the same township as William as a while.

My only thoughts at the time, they have to be related somehow, but how?

I am a member at ancestry, so I can look up some records and family tree that people posted online.

I feel I am so close of finding who was William's father, but still not there yet. And I don't where to turn.

I need a push in the right direction. You can PM me if you prefer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy