U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 03:12 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,248,249 times

Advertisements

I did my genealogy and my husbands a few years ago. I did maternal and fraternal on EVERYONE! Omygosh. It is addicting but fun. I shared it w/ my family on Christmas and they were shocked to say the least. The remarriages can be a pain. Then if a child dies and they have another they will name the new baby the SAME NAME! I've been able to get every side back to the 1600's on mine and hubbies. There are several instances were one of MY families and one of HIS families lived one county over from each other. Like in the late 1600's-early 1700's his surname direct kin and my mothers maiden name direct kin were BOTH in S.C. and lived in neighboring counties. Now how populated was S.C. back then and did they know each other. Then his side of that family moved to Alabama and mine to Mississippi. I had ANOTHER family line that moved to Alabama not far from his. Then somehow they all ended up in Texas. Found tons of Civil War soildiers, Spanish-American War vets and Revolutionary War in both families. One of my lines came from the Mayflower. One of his lines was some of the first founders in Virginia and appointed to the Continental Congress. What I found totally just awesome was how after ALL of this time thru the years that each one of our parents, grandparents, g-grandparents and so on thru marriages NEVER married someone whose family was not already in the "New World" by 1700.

Now my brickwall has been a great grandmother. Her dad I have TONS of info on. Nada on her mother. Her mother passed away when she was very young. She knows she was born in Kansas and I found some of that info but nothing on her mother. She always said her mother was buried in Kansas but one of her sons recently told me she was buried in Texas. I've looked in every county in Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, Missouri and the parts around Texas she could have been in and found nothing. Don't even know her maiden name. No one does.

Finding some of the skeletons has been fun for all of us. I have to say that has been kind of entertaining and no one has gotten mad or upset about it. I guess we are all more lighthearted and just love the research part of it. I've found plenty of skeletons too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 10:15 PM

469 posts, read 2,518,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Mississippienne,

Hmm interesting....so if say both me & my brother took a dna test would this give us somewhat a total picture??
I'm assuming you're female and that you and your brother are full siblings (sharing both parents). You and your brother will have the same mtDNA. Your brother will have your father's Y chromosome. You will not, because you're female and females do not inherit Y chromosomes.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:17 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
use dna
gtldna.com
174 bucks will do ya.
i found out. i did not come over on mayflower no no no

Old 11-10-2007, 07:59 AM

34,553 posts, read 42,724,437 times
On my husband's side, I get to the late 1700s in PA and MA, but cannot get the previous generation because of the way the census' were written (no names, only ages and genders of members of households.)
On my side, I get to Norway, Sweden and England and its a dead end, due to language and lack of info.
I look forward to the 1940 census coming out when I can fill in more recent relatives info.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:39 AM

18,696 posts, read 35,420,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJones View Post
Wow, jgussler - what a shock for your friend! Hw did he take it?
He simply said they are my mom and dad, I don't care what the papers say.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:43 PM

1,354 posts, read 5,627,670 times
I have hit a few brick walls. I was amazed at what I was able to find. The information available online and people willing to do looks ups in their areas really made the difference in putting my family tree together. I am still working on those lines, but nothing new has popped up.

But I do have a great story. My grandpa kept bugging me in 2000. He lives in a different state, but kept emailing about computer help questions. I finally asked what he needed and did the research myself, lol. It was alot easier that way. He was looking for his grandfathers family. My gg grandfather gave up my g grandfather and the rest of his kids around 1910 and then totally disappeared. My g grandfather was able to reunite with his birth mother before her death, but never found his father. My g grandfather knew the area he came from and knew he had alot of cousins. I was able to track down some of those cousins and my grandfather was able to meet them. He is contact with many of them and is very happy we were able to find them. Those cousins were able to fill in what we had been missing on that side's genealogy. That started my genealogy interest and now I have TONS of info on my family and my hubbies family.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:07 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Note to ProLogic:

Received my two DNA kits (one for each of my bio parents) from the National Geographic yesterday and already did the first samples. Have to wait at least 8 hours then the second pair of cheek swabs will be done (tomorrow morning). So; they will be sent off in the morning

Old 11-11-2007, 05:10 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Yes, no one ever knew until I found out. Hard to believe that. Warning though, when you get into it, you may also dig up a few skeletons. Murders, scandals, etc.
I am looking forward to rattlin' some old bones!

Old 11-11-2007, 06:12 PM

18,696 posts, read 35,420,950 times
My brother and I hit a curve ball. My dad was born in 1912. His birth Certificate was issued from a different town in 1942. It appears that he didn't have a birth cert and had to get one so he could go in the Army.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:32 PM

768 posts, read 1,889,848 times
I too enjoy researching genealogy. It is so addicting, and fascinating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy