U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 06:57 AM

4,585 posts, read 10,478,742 times

Advertisements

Gardener: "You have to know the region in quebec they are from" ...I'm not even sure they were in Quebec, The earliest I find them is in an OHIO census and all it sez is they were born in Canada in 1822. So I've been trying to read about Canada in 1822 to get a sense of the history at that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 07:42 AM

5,640 posts, read 16,929,451 times
There were lots of english settlers there too don't forget. So Norris may be correct and of english descent. If they were from quebec, chances are in the census, they will be listed as being born in french canada, or as speaking french.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:48 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm really lucky with my family that there is a geneology society dedicated to my father's family. When he started getting into geneology, all he did was write to them, pay a little fee, and they sent him the family tree as far back as they had researched! It's amazing and I love looking over it to see how so many names I would consider somewhat "modern" were used as far back as the 1600s!
My Hungarian side is that way---------I am first generation US born American and my father is an immigrant from Hungary. Paper trail (literally) back hundreds of years.

Quote:
There are a lot of road blocks in my family tree:

1. Quite a bit of my family history is just not there. My grandmother has never revealed to my dad who his father is. I keep bugging him to prod her for the information (if she even knows... there is no name on the birth certificate) before she dies as her health is poor, but he won't do it- and I'm not close enough to her to be in the position to ask. Also, she herself was illigitimate and does not know who her father was. So essentially, my father only has information about the family history of his maternal grandmother.
No disrespect intended here; it may be your father was the product of rape or incest.

Quote:
2. My maternal grandfather's father immigrated to the country illegally fleeing the Red Army in Russia. My grandfather was basically an anchor baby and then my great grandfather passed away. My grandpa is actively researching and plans on sending me and a few cousins to Ukraine to research (a la Everything is Illuminated), but we don't know how much we will find.

3. There weren't exactly records in the shtetls of Ukraine around the turn of the century so it's hard to trace back before then. My mother's maternal relatives had their last name changed, but we're not sure what it was from (became Marcus and Brown). My mother's paternal side are the only Pevna in the country- but Pevna is generally a Czech name and the name of a Polish town, so we're not entirely sure how they ended up in Kiev.
Substitute Orange, Va for Ukraine here...........I am not 100% sure who my maternal grandfather was and also unknown who was the father of my maternal grandmother.

As I have opined on the past: I am 99.9% sure that I have either Black or American Indian heritage on my mother's side---------never mind that both of us are as 'white' as they come in appearance.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:52 PM

469 posts, read 2,518,947 times
The 'mystery daddy' problem might be solved with a Y chromosome test. I, too, was born out of wedlock but was lucky enough that my mother confessed who was my real father was! A couple of my ancestors were illegitimate, but named their fathers in documents. Rape or incest is, unfortunately, entirely possible, and would've been a major reason for the mother to keep quiet.

African ancestors are more common than people think, at least if you're a white Southerner. The history of race in this country is very complex, and there were times and places where the races mixed freely and even intermarried. Some of my ancestors were FPOC, Free People of Color, African or African/Native or African/White mixed. They married whites and within a couple of generations their descendants were all thought of us white. Some of my ancestors were slaves and some were slaveowners.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:33 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
The 'mystery daddy' problem might be solved with a Y chromosome test. I, too, was born out of wedlock but was lucky enough that my mother confessed who was my real father was! A couple of my ancestors were illegitimate, but named their fathers in documents. Rape or incest is, unfortunately, entirely possible, and would've been a major reason for the mother to keep quiet.
The Y chromosome test would not apply of you are a female.

Quote:
African ancestors are more common than people think, at least if you're a white Southerner. The history of race in this country is very complex, and there were times and places where the races mixed freely and even intermarried. Some of my ancestors were FPOC, Free People of Color, African or African/Native or African/White mixed. They married whites and within a couple of generations their descendants were all thought of us white. Some of my ancestors were slaves and some were slaveowners.
Very much so------in my particular case; the Orange, Va. branch of my family tree had Blacks (Negroes) and Whites as well as Mulattoes living in the same Census tracts according to Ancestry.com ca. 1910.

Side note: if/when DNA testing becomes widespread; it will be very interesting what will become of Affirmative Action vs. the old 'One Drop Rule' in states live Virginia. Can someone say many people; both Black and White, will be squirming uncomfortably?

Old 12-03-2007, 07:50 AM

9,483 posts, read 10,720,384 times
My father spends a lot of time searching our family history that it has surpassed a hobby and turned into a book. It was important to him, because he was adopted. He uses the Ellis Island website to search for family members that immigrated to the US. the website is Ellis Island - FREE Port of New York Passenger Records Search you just go there and register, and start your search.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:28 AM

5,640 posts, read 16,929,451 times
Ellis island is for researchers whose ancestors came over after 1895 I think... prior to that it was castle garden, and that has a website also, but not as extensive. Best to start with the census if you are able.
Or the familysearch.org lds website - which has some census records.
And things that people thought were "scandalous" 75 years ago are no big deal today. Many a mother raised her daughter's illegitimate child, telling everyone it was her own, rather than risk the family scandal.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:01 PM

4 posts, read 6,312 times
Smile "Hitting Brick Walls"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aomething View Post
Has anyone hit the brick wall when it comes to the maternal sides? I am actually lucky that my mother knew her grandmother and the maternal side while growing up. That is the family that I wrote about. My brick wall is the paternal side. I can't get past Grandfather in Orkney, Scotland.

We would also have to advertise in Scotland for information. Not sure what else to do. It's harder to research over seas. Much easier with internet but harder all the same.

How about success stories when you have been able to break through a wall??!!
Like you it is also my Paternal side also that I am having problems with. You are correct when saying it is easy when you have a parent or grand parent that is willing talk. Although my grandparents were getting on when I was little as I was an after thought. but I have a great interest in history and people so I suppose you can say i'm nosey...... Not really I just listened. You are right to say that it's made easier now with the internet but harder all the same as like you I have had to search abroad by that I mean that not living in the US I have had to use great friends= and the internet a lot I also used contacts again to search in both Canada, England, Oz, France and the UK. I can say now that I have and it's taken me years to do so got my mothers family back to the mid 1500's but I still have more to add. I have found and gained lost cousins, made many friends. I have shared many joy and sadness. I found that on many a time on paths very nearly crossed. That we have lived without knowing within streets of each other and on one occasion I could look across a golf-links, at a house that unknown to me was the home of my sister-in-laws niece. I now know that a cousin in Oz, her sister in Sussex England who used to visit my maternal grandmother who lived two doors away when I was small but we never meet. What secrets are kept and why? We will never know???

Now I look for my granddad - Dads dad who was a sailor. The first he heard of him was a letter from Bay Shore Hospital asking asking him for payment for a hospital bill of $29.75c in Feb 1930. I'm now trying to find his resting place and family that dad tried so desperately to find. Alas he is no longer here to see our treasured findings that would have made him so happy but I'm sure he would say in him quite way and say with "someting in his eye". ""Sham your all marvels"". One day I will and I hope to make that trip across the pond to say Hello!.
Cáit

Old 12-06-2007, 07:14 PM

Default Frustrating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
For us it's my father's grandfather. We know where and when he died, but there is no record of where he was buried.

I checked cemeteries and records around the area and then my brother reminded me he died in February, in Iowa. They could have put is frozen body in the back of a wagon and carried him??? Frustrating.

Or the records from my fathers adoption. Can't get them. Don't know who I am. Frustrating.

I know how you feel I have just found a letter asking my father who was them 15 years old for payment of $29.75c. re the hospital bill for his father's stay in Bay Shore Hospital. He had no idea where he was as he was left by his mother to be brought up by her sister, who became his mother and therefore my beloved Nana. His father was a sailor and he always wanted to find his resting place but now he will never be able to do so. My hope is that one day I might be able to as I know that he must be somewhere in NY.

As for the other records there must be some way to get your fathers adoption papers now as the statute has expired

Cáit

Old 12-06-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I've gotten as far as my great grandfather, a Union soldier in the Civil War who fought in many of the bloody battles in Virginia after him I hit a brick wall because it would mean researching in Ireland. Back then many records were kept through the churches...to big a maze for me

Do up know the county that your g-greatgrandfather came from? I know it's amaze I live here.

Cáit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy