U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 11:11 AM

18,434 posts, read 28,545,142 times

Advertisements

..for the most part.

I am still waiting for a few little things. As I am a female, I can only get my maternal side. It does tell me that I can get my fathers sample, etc, but that is not possible, as my father has passed. The next male relative from my father would be my brother, but he passed a year or so after my father.

Next down the line, there are 3 nephews who are my brothers children.

That is the closest male relative there is to my father, his grandsons.

Would that help me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 01:51 PM

21,526 posts, read 26,146,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
..for the most part.

I am still waiting for a few little things. As I am a female, I can only get my maternal side. It does tell me that I can get my fathers sample, etc, but that is not possible, as my father has passed. The next male relative from my father would be my brother, but he passed a year or so after my father.

Would that help me?
Yes, but the sample needs to be sent to a company that does Y DNA testing. The technique is different from the one 23AndMe uses. I used Family Tree DNA for my brother's sample. I now plan to ask him to do 23AndMe, too.

Family Tree DNA - Genetic Genealogy Starts Here

With 23AndMe you are not just getting information on your maternal side. You will find matches from all your lines, not just mother, mother's mother, her mother, and on back. For every generation you go back, you double the number of lines in your tree. Each of those lines also has a deep genetic ancestor, you know.

Also, with 23AndMe, the more family members who test, the more you can fine tune the results. Even having your mother test, if she is available, will help.

For example, if your mother tests, you will be able to see just which of your DNA sequences came from her. By exclusion, you will know what came from your father. If a third party matches one of the bits that came from your dad, you know to look at your dad's tree for common ancestors. If a third party matches one of the bits from your mother, you know to look at her tree.

Have you researched your family tree?

Old 07-05-2013, 03:45 PM

Both of my parents are deceased. I have done minimal research on my family tree.

It is a bit difficult, especially on my fathers side, because none of his family were remaining when I was born. I really do not know much about them at all....

Old 07-05-2013, 05:28 PM

21,526 posts, read 26,146,877 times
Without knowing some of the people in your family tree, the information you get from 23AndMe, apart from the medical stuff, is going to be pretty limited.

I can empathize with the feeling you get when everyone is gone and there is no one to talk to. I never knew three of my grandparents. They all died young.

You might be amazed at what you can find from the paper trail, though, if you look. I started my research a few years ago and now can take most lines back to 1800 with confidence and many even further. I am fortunate that most of my ancestors came to Georgia and stayed put. That makes it easier. My husband's family is more difficult. I was able to find out a lot on his mother's side fairly easily, as they mainly immigrated to the US in the fairly recent past. I am going to have to look at original records to get further on his dad's side.

If you have the time, you might want to try the two week free trial at Ancestry.com and see what pops up.

How many matches do you have with others on 23AndMe?

Old 07-05-2013, 07:49 PM

560 posts, read 1,069,024 times
Be sure to check out the chromosome view in 23andme, half of the 46 chromosomes are from your dad (there's a drop down box on the map view page). If you have some family history about your mom's side, then it might be possible to tell which chromosomes are from your dad. To me the chromosome view is more interesting, I would make it the default if I was in charge.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:26 AM
bjh

26,174 posts, read 22,803,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
..for the most part.

Would that help me?
Any male relative who shares a person's paternal lineage will do.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:28 AM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky★ View Post
Be sure to check out the chromosome view in 23andme, half of the 46 chromosomes are from your dad (there's a drop down box on the map view page). If you have some family history about your mom's side, then it might be possible to tell which chromosomes are from your dad. To me the chromosome view is more interesting, I would make it the default if I was in charge.
But that split is only available for people who've had at least one parent tested also.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:45 PM

560 posts, read 1,069,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
But that split is only available for people who've had at least one parent tested also.

You can see the chromosome view on your own results. Both my parents have passed too.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:06 PM
bjh

Okay I think I know the view you're talking about. Some views can be split by side of the family, but only if a parent's genome is linked to yours. Am not sure if both parents have to be tested. It seems like, by a process of elimination one would do, but I could be wrong, especially if one's parents are related.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:26 PM

From my maternal line only:
99.9%
European

Northern European
29.3%
Scandinavian
21.0%
British and Irish
12.4%
French and German
0.0%
Finnish
36.6%
Nonspecific Northern European

Southern European
0.0%
Sardinian
0.0%
Italian
0.0%
Iberian
0.0%
Balkan
< 0.1%
Nonspecific Southern European
0.0%
Eastern European
0.0%
Ashkenazi
0.6%
Nonspecific European
0.1%
East Asian & Native American
0.1%
Native American
0.0%
East Asian
< 0.1%
Nonspecific East Asian & Native American

I sure would like to be able to access my paternal line. I am thinking I may ask my nephew if he has done it or not...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy