U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 04:57 PM

866 posts, read 459,902 times
The furthest I back I can trace any one line is to a Prince Bryan of Denmark. I think he may have been a Viking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 05:32 PM

199 posts, read 167,240 times
On my mom's side, the furthest branch reaches back to 1282, while on my dad's side, one single connection takes me back to 740. One of the minor benefits of being a lesser noble lineages (where lineage is so important), is that you at least are more likely to have left your name on a scrap for a historian or a descendent to trace.

Most of my lines I've traced to the 1500s or early 1600s. But it's the more recent obscurities that drive me insane. I've yet to discover the name of the father of a great grandfather. Another left a meticulous record in the United States, except I cannot discover the ship the family came over on, and no reference to what region of the old country they emigrated from. These mean significantly more to me than the distant relative in the 1300s whose family were merchants and left better records. Their [the nearer relatives] children and grandchildren were known to my eldest relatives, the connection is stronger, the influence greater.

So while the furthest back you can trace is a very intriguing date - I think a more emotionally important date is when does your nearest lineage fall apart?

Old 08-09-2013, 04:00 AM

866 posts, read 459,902 times
Yes the annoying ones for me are my ancestors who were in America in the early 1800s but are so spotty and moved from place to place. Particularly my surname line which is the one I'm most interested.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:12 AM

327 posts, read 252,676 times
I'm still starting all this. My dad's relatives in Nuremberg keep the family history book,but may need to write to cousins in Garmisch to find out who has it. I never thought to ask my dad how far back the family goes. Probably back to the Middle ages or earlier. Some cousins of my grandmother according to german records fought in the crusades, and go back in the records of the City of Riga to the 13th or 14th century.Some members belonged to an order of knights, most likely the Livonian Knights of the Sword.My dad said they weren't Teutonic knights,but wasn't sure of the order's name.Through a little research I found the Livonian Knights in Riga.Many years later they were absorbed into the Teutonic Knights.
In the family coat of arms a cousin sent me a copy of from Siebmacher's Brugerlich Wappenbuch, I noticed there was a fleur de lile in the coat of arms.This is interesting because the family is german.However, it's possible that some of the relatives who lived in the Black Forest could have moved to Alsace and France,as our family name is also found in France. What's also interesting is our family owns the firm of August and Jean Hilpert in Nuremberg.Their engineers.The firm was founded in the 1800s and I assume Jean was August's brother maybe.In any case,Jean is French for John.
Wonder if their mother was french, as most of the men in the family named John used Johann.
Haven't tried mom's side in Hungary yet. Both families are ancient, but when they first came to public notice so to speak don't know.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:53 AM

186 posts, read 46,867 times
I'm looking for death-counts by month of death and month of birth
(and cause, if available)
especially for the 1918 pandemic

Old 08-25-2014, 07:04 AM

1,638 posts, read 646,261 times
Im adopted, so I have no idea how far back "I" go, however I did trace my adoptive fathers family back to ~1700 here in the US and lost traceability at the gentlemen's voyage over from England. Before "John" I couldn't find direct links, however my name is a particularly unique one and theres a parish in England with that name. The name is in the doomsday book so I know at least its a really old surname.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:09 AM

20,147 posts, read 12,575,301 times
Early 1400's Northern Spain/Basque on fathers side.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:14 AM

7,529 posts, read 5,275,842 times
Of the two lines that are most important to me, one has been stuck around 1776 for a long time. The parish register in England is illegible for this person. I contacted a professional researcher and they couldn't find anything at all. It's depressing.

On that same lineage, most of the lines are back to the 17th C but one cousin sent me the most horribly long line going back to 1066, a knight of William the Conquerer who was given huge tracts of land and accumulated great wealth. For that reason the family history was recorded, unlike most. I sort of hate it because it's so out of synch with the rest and there are so many names and dates. I've tried typing it into Ancestry but there is always some error because it's so complicated. But that wins the prize for farthest back for me.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:40 PM

1,097 posts, read 701,542 times
Overall, on one sid of the family, most of mine that I can go back on end in the 1700s to the British Isles and I'm able to verify some of that information.

I recently found that one lineage seems to go back into the 1500s from middle Germany (Hesse as in Hessian solders). This is based on other people's research and not my own. When I go back that far, I have no idea how to confirm anything before US Cenus data.

I'd like to know if anyone else here has worked with such very old genealogy information offline 1400s-1700s from Europe (or anywhere else) and how would you confirm it to be valid?

Old 08-25-2014, 08:57 PM

1,097 posts, read 851,779 times
My direct lines vary greatly on what I can document -- of the German lines the one from the Rhineland-Pfaltz was well documented in church records & had a great core group of people who were/are researching them, both here & in Germany. But even with that - late 1600's is about the outer limit. The other Germans dribble out much sooner depending on where they were and if it was Germany at one time or another.

My father's family spent a few hundred years on Barbados[& occasional other islands]. Caribbean research suffers from a lot of missing, damaged & inaccessible, or destroyed records, and a certain lack of interest by genealogy in general. I have to say that it was a perfect training ground for a very "holistic" kind of genealogy that I will be eternally grateful for. Every source is valuable - deeds, wills, church records, newspapers, old books, maps, tombstones, slave returns, relatives who don't think they remember anything, state papers, walking around and talking to strangers -- . But - as deeply immersed as I am, some things just won't come. My G G grandmother's family is documented to Scotland in 1680 and shows up in the 1715 census in Barbados -- her husband's origins, tho from all evidence of long-standing on the island, show up in no paperwork. His birth in 1757 confirmed only by his death record. I and not a few descendants have be stuck on him for 20yrs. There are 2 - or maybe just 1 - educated guesses, but but unless some missing records magically turn up we frustratingly have to accept that the paper trail ended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy