U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 11:49 PM

218 posts, read 315,334 times

Advertisements

Given how records weren't kept and lineages destroyed for African Americans prior to the civil war, I can only trace as far back as the mid 1800's. Same story for most African American's. But since the period before that was slavery, I can guess that my lineages on both side predate the 1800's, possibly the last 1700's if not earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 02:36 AM

261 posts, read 187,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
Overall, on one sid of the family, most of mine that I can go back on end in the 1700s to the British Isles and I'm able to verify some of that information.

I recently found that one lineage seems to go back into the 1500s from middle Germany (Hesse as in Hessian solders). This is based on other people's research and not my own. When I go back that far, I have no idea how to confirm anything before US Cenus data.

I'd like to know if anyone else here has worked with such very old genealogy information offline 1400s-1700s from Europe (or anywhere else) and how would you confirm it to be valid?

churchbooks, handwritten, which held christianings,marriages,births,deaths

one day they may all be digitalized and online (?)

Old 08-26-2014, 03:04 AM

12,840 posts, read 23,194,240 times
1700's to Scotland.
Late 1800's to Sweden.
Late 1800's to Mexico.

My wife went back into the 1400's on one of her German sides.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:46 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,657,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityScape0322 View Post
Given how records weren't kept and lineages destroyed for African Americans prior to the civil war, I can only trace as far back as the mid 1800's. Same story for most African American's. But since the period before that was slavery, I can guess that my lineages on both side predate the 1800's, possibly the last 1700's if not earlier.
This is frustrating for a genealogist and a great loss to many Americans. I have been able to get past that on some projects, but it is always the luck of the draw - "where" being the big differentiators. Some northern states began abolishing slavery in the late 1700's, and in almost every state slaves were privately freed and lived as such. But the percentage is not high considering the numbers enslaved. Several projects have ended with the 1870 census [Alabama] while others [Virginia, Pennsylvania, Louisiana] have led to more info being available. There are interesting records from which info can be drawn, such as Freedman's Bureau, records found in older Black churches, and records of people who recorded their marriages many years after the fact once they were free to do so. It is always difficult, but not always impossible. And yes, most African American families who were enslaved have been in the US since B4 1807 unless they were brought here by immigrants from places like the Caribbean or brought in illegally after the slave trade was outlawed. Best of luck.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:08 PM

1,593 posts, read 1,736,535 times
I go pretty far back.

Turns out I'm descended from two ancestors who didn't have belly buttons.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:35 PM

30,316 posts, read 31,181,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
How far back has anyone been able to trace their lineage? And at what point did you find your family migration from another country?

I started my family tree fully expecting to find my ancestors came through Ellis Island. Instead, I found my ancestors just go back before America was even a country! Seems my ancestors have always been here, in some form. I did find one branch from Scotland, that came over around 1600. The rest of my family seems to go back to the Cherokee, mixed with some Scottish. Well, guess no Ellis Island story here.

How far back have the rest of you gotten, and from where?
On my maternal grandmother's side, my ancestors have been traced back to one that came from England to Andover, Massachusetts in 1640.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:10 AM

748 posts, read 983,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
How far back has anyone been able to trace their lineage? And at what point did you find your family migration from another country?

I started my family tree fully expecting to find my ancestors came through Ellis Island. Instead, I found my ancestors just go back before America was even a country! Seems my ancestors have always been here, in some form. I did find one branch from Scotland, that came over around 1600. The rest of my family seems to go back to the Cherokee, mixed with some Scottish. Well, guess no Ellis Island story here.

How far back have the rest of you gotten, and from where?
I found my great grand parents on my fathers' fathers side by looking at records from Ellis Island. They changed the last name a little bit from how it was in their country of origin. I believe I was only able to get a few more generations on that side.

On my father's mother's side, I was able to go back over a hundred generations, with the use of some of the online sites, it was pretty easy once my grandmother sent me the work she had been doing for years, I just entered a few names and learned that side of the family is related to Kings in Scotland. Once I got to that point, it is all written in history and was easy to document.

On my mother's mother's side, I got back into the 1600's, with a journal given to me by my grandmother then help from online sources.

On my mother's father's side, being native american, could only go back to the late 1800's.

In the image I posted, it is too small to see name details, but you can see the shape at the top repeats. I thought I had made a terrible mistake. This image is a tree that I made and it contained not just direct descent, but aunts and uncles and their children. When you go back enough generations, my cousins and great aunts and so on, all had the same ancestors.

EEkk.

I am my own cousin, like 17 times removed.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:08 AM

2,468 posts, read 2,722,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgsgs View Post
churchbooks, handwritten, which held christianings,marriages,births,deaths

one day they may all be digitalized and online (?)
Thanks, gsgsgs. That's a good guess, probably church records for the manifold principalities that later became the nation of Germany. I would imagine some far back records were kept in parts of Europe while others have been simply lost to the many wars that tore through all of Europe. I hope to research more into that time frame when I am retired and have more time to commit to genealogy. More rabbit holes ...

Old 08-29-2014, 09:30 AM

8,216 posts, read 12,800,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
EEkk.

I am my own cousin, like 17 times removed.
If I'm understanding you correctly, that's called pedigree collapse, it's quite normal. If we were able to go back far enough, we would see that we all descend from a certain number of common ancestors. Without pedigree collapse, our number of ancestors from certain amount of generations ago would out number the population of their time period, which is impossible.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:48 PM

5,643 posts, read 3,192,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Same here. I assumed Ellis Island because you hear so much about it. Wrong. They came in through Boston in 1912 on one side.

They came from England, I knew that, but I connected via the internet with a distant English genealogist cousin who had traced one line back to massive landowners who built castles and their first ancestor came over in 1066. He was granted huge amounts of land after the Conquest. After about 800 years they family had become degenerate and some were even thrown into dungeons! A girl from that family married into my paternal line--I think she was one of the more decent ones.

That's only one line, the rest I haven't gotten back farther than the mid 1700s in England.

On the maternal side I was amazed to find that almost all of them were Puritans who landed in MA in the 1630s. They all stayed in New England, none went West. They were all part of a northern migration and ended up in Vermont and even Canada. Luckily mine came back down, following the work on the railroads, and ended up here. Back where they started from in the 1630s. SAME town I moved to 2 years ago and didn't know it. (where's that smack your head icon when you need it.)
If they sailed to New York before 1892, they came to Castle Garden (lower Manhattan) and not Ellis Island. While they have been putting this online recently, their records are nowhere near as complete as Ellis Island. None of my ancestors (Italian and Irish) came through Ellis Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy