U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 01:34 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,677,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
Thanks, gsgsgs. That's a good guess, probably church records for the manifold principalities that later became the nation of Germany. I would imagine some far back records were kept in parts of Europe while others have been simply lost to the many wars that tore through all of Europe. I hope to research more into that time frame when I am retired and have more time to commit to genealogy. More rabbit holes ...
I found records of tax, births/christings and deaths in one branch back to 1400. They were church records. As they were some version of pesant deprending on the time, this is lucky. But they lived in an area which as London grew bigger and bigger became East London. The church Parish records were stored and there is a still ongoing project to digitize all these records.

If your ancestors lived in the middle of nowhere which remained most that, then the parish records may be gone.

Before 1400 no accounting of names and records was done, but as land owners became taxed, records of who lived where began to be kept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 07:46 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,010,253 times
I've gone back to Mary Queen of Scots-----maybe that's why I have problems with my neck

Old 09-01-2014, 07:49 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,010,253 times
I always assumed my ancestors somehow came over through Ellis Island, was I wrong!

My ancestors came from Scotland, Ireland, Germany, but waaaaay back. I've found German ancestors from 1600's, Scots from 1500's, Irish from 1700's, some English scattered in around. The biggest mystery for me is my m-grandfather, he just seems to fade back into the mountains of Virginia, like he was always there.....

Old 09-02-2014, 01:35 AM

261 posts, read 187,797 times
in my region (NW-Germany) most records were lost in the 30-year war 1618-1648
the worst German war ever, much worse than WW1 or WW2. So most of the
church-records go back to that time. You can call the church, schedule a date
and then look at the handwritten books and filter what you need, but it's tedious.
Some churches have gone to digitalize the records, some authors have published
excerts in "Heimat"-books.
German soldiers (i.e. from Hessen) faught in the US-independence war and then stayed in USA.
A big wave of emigration to USA was in the 2nd halft of the 19th century.
One of my anchesters emigrated to NE-Kansas in ~1870, there are thousands of descendents now,
my mother once visited some of them and they exchanged pictures,lists and regular letters.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:31 AM

2,468 posts, read 2,722,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgsgs View Post
in my region (NW-Germany) most records were lost in the 30-year war 1618-1648
the worst German war ever, much worse than WW1 or WW2. So most of the
church-records go back to that time. You can call the church, schedule a date
and then look at the handwritten books and filter what you need, but it's tedious.
Some churches have gone to digitalize the records, some authors have published
excerts in "Heimat"-books.
German soldiers (i.e. from Hessen) faught in the US-independence war and then stayed in USA.
A big wave of emigration to USA was in the 2nd halft of the 19th century.
One of my anchesters emigrated to NE-Kansas in ~1870, there are thousands of descendents now,
my mother once visited some of them and they exchanged pictures,lists and regular letters.
Thanks for sharing this info, gsgsgs, to making a note about how devastating the 30 Years' War was to your region. I know I had studied that particular war some in history classes some years ago and unfortunately many of the details are forgotten until I revisit that chapter of European history sometime soon.

I sure hope the churches in Europe and elsewhere can get their old records saved in digitalized format to preserve the remaining data for current and future generations. I don't know if I will make it to Germany anytime soon to do a genealogy-related trip, but knowing how to read some handwritten Fraktur script will help me some to read first-hand accounts.

That is wonderful your mother visited some of your relatives in Kansas to share family history.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:53 AM

261 posts, read 187,797 times
also, in Nazi-Germany, many people researched and documented their anchestry
so to prove that there were no Jews in it. That's how I got my 16 greatgreatgrandparents
documented in "Ahnenbuechlein" or how it was called.
And then I have a distant relative who researched the history of his farm, published a booklet
and typed it all into genbas, so you can find it with google. He sent me a copy
centered at me with 170 of my direct anchesters, including stories that he found
in archives,newspapers,...

Old 09-02-2014, 08:57 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,154,809 times
My goal is to trace all lines back to the arrival in North America.

My dad's family is Cajun; I've documented the vast majority of the line to their journey from France to what is now Canada in the early-to-mid 17th century. These people ended up in Spanish Louisiana in the mid-18th century and married Germans who had been there from at least the 1720s (need more work on this line). Then, surprise!, we became Americans by default when the US bought Louisiana. Took another 140 years before they stopped speaking French as a first language.

My mom's side is more of a scattered mess. I know for a fact that the most recent immigrants arrived from Germany and Switzerland 1850-1870. I believe other lines go back to at least the early 18th century, but I haven't verified for myself.
And two different families just appear out of nowhere in 1850.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:03 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,144,730 times
paternal grandfather's: 1700
paternal grandmother: late 1600s, but given the name probably can be traced to the 1300s or 1400s

maternal grandfather: mid-1800s
maternal grandmother: 1500s

Old 09-12-2014, 05:43 PM

21,259 posts, read 20,859,174 times
I can verify definitively that I am William the Conqueror's 30th great granddaughter (through my maternal grandfather). I always figured that if you could establish a definite line back that far, you could go back much, much further without any difficulty. Wrong. I'm definitely not proficient at this genealogy business, but once I go back about five generations before William the Conqueror, it gets really messy. Every source seems to contradict every other source. It's frustrating because you really don't know which sources you can count on and which ones you can't. When there's a 150-year gap between a father and his son or when they were supposedly born the same year, you've got to wonder how much stock some people put into maintaining accuracy of any kind.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:07 PM

3,926 posts, read 4,392,839 times
My wife was able to trace back to a Phillips that had Land Grant No 1 at Jamestown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy