U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 07:22 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,020,411 times

Advertisements

How far back has anyone been able to trace their lineage? And at what point did you find your family migration from another country?

I started my family tree fully expecting to find my ancestors came through Ellis Island. Instead, I found my ancestors just go back before America was even a country! Seems my ancestors have always been here, in some form. I did find one branch from Scotland, that came over around 1600. The rest of my family seems to go back to the Cherokee, mixed with some Scottish. Well, guess no Ellis Island story here.

How far back have the rest of you gotten, and from where?

Last edited by MaryleeII; 07-07-2013 at 08:43 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 08:34 PM

17,994 posts, read 17,150,498 times
Same here. I assumed Ellis Island because you hear so much about it. Wrong. They came in through Boston in 1912 on one side.

They came from England, I knew that, but I connected via the internet with a distant English genealogist cousin who had traced one line back to massive landowners who built castles and their first ancestor came over in 1066. He was granted huge amounts of land after the Conquest. After about 800 years they family had become degenerate and some were even thrown into dungeons! A girl from that family married into my paternal line--I think she was one of the more decent ones.

That's only one line, the rest I haven't gotten back farther than the mid 1700s in England.

On the maternal side I was amazed to find that almost all of them were Puritans who landed in MA in the 1630s. They all stayed in New England, none went West. They were all part of a northern migration and ended up in Vermont and even Canada. Luckily mine came back down, following the work on the railroads, and ended up here. Back where they started from in the 1630s. SAME town I moved to 2 years ago and didn't know it. (where's that smack your head icon when you need it.)

Old 07-07-2013, 09:31 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,262,662 times
On my father's side I have an ancestor who came from Ireland around 1660 something to Newbury, Massachusetts, as an indentured servant.

On my mother's side, I don't have as much info. What I have indicates another Irish immigrant in the late 1600's but it's sketchy at this point.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:11 PM
bjh

26,094 posts, read 22,785,932 times
My earliest immigrants are the 1620s Massachusetts Puritans. Thanks to the excellent New England Historic Genealogy Society's careful research and publishing, some of our old Mass. families have been traced to the 1400s in England. My genealogy DNA haplogroups go back about 50,000 years.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:38 AM

8,220 posts, read 12,809,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
How far back has anyone been able to trace their lineage? And at what point did you find your family migration from another country?
Well, all different branches immigrated at all different times. The most recent immigrant was in 1914, the earliest was 1639.

The earliest birth I've been able to confirm is 1625 (same person who immigrated in 1639) - this person's father (who also immigrated at the same time) was born sometime around 1600 but there's debate about whether it was 1603 or 1595. So you could say the farthest I've gotten back to is circa 1600.

But of course, I have other branches which I can't even get past the mid 19th century.

Quote:
I started my family tree fully expecting to find my ancestors came through Ellis Island.
It's a common misconception - but Ellis Island didn't always exist and there were other ports of entry too.

Quote:
How far back have the rest of you gotten, and from where?
Like most Americans, I am a mix. The more recent immigrants in the 20th century were Italian. The colonial immigrants were either Swiss/German who settled in PA (and some of them later moved to Ohio) or English and Scots-Irish who settled in Virginia. This is all very typical of colonial immigration - I posted some demographics about colonial immigration on my blog: Genealogical Musings: Colonial Facts and Stats: Immigration and Settlement (I think it's okay to post this, I'm not selling anything, it's relevant to the conversation, and I'm an active member of the forum community so it's not spam!)

But I've also got a load of mid-19th century immigrants: Norwegians who settled in Wisconsin, an Irish branch that settled in Pittsburgh, another German branch in PA, and an English branch in PA. I've also got a few I don't know the origins of.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:42 AM

183,875 posts, read 74,980,809 times
I haven't done it but was informed by a cousin who went way back that I'm eligble to joint the "Royal Order of Bastards". Gee I thought the filter would block that but that is the official name of the organization. Seems a king did some fooling around.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 5 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,686,996 times
My mom's dad's family has been traced back to 1400, living in a village as skilled workers, then labor then eventually thieves as London sucked up the villages around it and they were part of the East End. I'm sure as only two of them were caught and sent here as convicts that in the East End I still have direct relatives. That would be neat to find out.

My dad's family has a lot of people who came in the early 1600's. The most interesting is a family who ended up first very early on, during the rebellions in Scotland, in Canada. Prisoners of war were sent to that area so I assume that's how they got there. The son returned, going to Ulster where he would have arrived as it was a normal shipping point. He met an expatriot young woman who was also scots and they came to the colonies in the mid 1600's. Since they wouldn't have had anything I assume they came under and indenture. Then there is the family with an American sailer from Maine. Her family was also in Canada, and he appears to have stayed there after his arrival. Pre revolution so I imagine it was for other than political reasons. They married, went to Ireland and them to the Colonies also in the 1600's. My dad's family history was researched a while ago and much has been posted and it appears I have a LOT of Scots in my from both sides of the family.

The arrivals here from Ulster (with Scot's names) on mom's side all came when you just got off the boat and went your way, and shipping lists were often lost. This was pre-famine so they simply decided they wanted something better I would guess. This was by the time that the 'promise' of resettlement had faded. This was later, late 1700's and early 1800's.

No wonder people tell me I *look* Scots, and not English or Irish. Got the temperment too.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:10 AM

24,757 posts, read 32,902,513 times
Being African American and Caribbean, I can't trace about 3/4 of my ancestors at all. I know my grandfather came here from Cuba and that he was African, French, Canary Islander, and Chinese. The rest of my non-African roots are Ashkenazic and Sephardic Jewish, British Isles, Palatine German and Alsatian. I have DNA relatives everywhere from Finland to Serbia to Portugal to Israel to Kurdistan.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:09 PM

834 posts, read 887,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Being African American and Caribbean, I can't trace about 3/4 of my ancestors at all. I know my grandfather came here from Cuba and that he was African, French, Canary Islander, and Chinese. The rest of my non-African roots are Ashkenazic and Sephardic Jewish, British Isles, Palatine German and Alsatian. I have DNA relatives everywhere from Finland to Serbia to Portugal to Israel to Kurdistan.
I compliment you of having a very healthy gene pool! My forefathers in Germany were so inbred in one farming village that everybody had the same last name. There were a high number of birth defects and debilities till the 1950's. Emigration was badly needed.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:21 PM

24,757 posts, read 32,902,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
I compliment you of having a very healthy gene pool! My forefathers in Germany were so inbred in one farming village that everybody had the same last name. There were a high number of birth defects and debilities till the 1950's. Emigration was badly needed.
Thanks. Not my doing, unfortunately.

I also didn't benefit appearance-wise from my gene pool, but my kids did.

I did inherit the constitution and physique of a draft horse or a mastiff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy