Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 07:30 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
I have a document stating that my ancestor WILHELM KLEBSATTEL was born in 1613 in Sulzfeld, Karisruhe, Baden-Wuerttenberg, "Germany". Could any of you tell me the actual location of that area?
It's Karlsruhe - with an L -- in SW Germany - - on the eastern shore of the Rhine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 10:23 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,526,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
I have a document stating that my ancestor WILHELM KLEBSATTEL was born in 1613 in Sulzfeld, Karisruhe, Baden-Wuerttenberg, "Germany". Could any of you tell me the actual location of that area?
I wonder if Karisruhe is a typo for Karlsruhe: Karlsruhe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The city was only founded in 1715 but Baden-Wuerttenberg didn't exist until recently either. My guess is that Sulzfeld existed in the in the region of Karlsruhe in 1613.

Edited to add: I just searched Google Maps. Sulzfeld still exists. It's located NE of Karlsruhe.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:02 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Baden and Wuerttemberg were merged into one state following WW2.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:03 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,973,115 times
one side of my family came from Bavaria and I don't know where the others came from

Old 10-09-2013, 12:41 AM

17 posts, read 28,678 times
My German ancestors came over in the late 1880s and 1890s to Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

They came from Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Schleswig-Holstein and Hannover on my father's side and from Ostfriesland on my mother's side. My maternal great-grandparents came from Norway in the early 1900s so I'm a bit mixed on my mother's side.

I've always associated the Palatinate and Bavarian immigration to be of a much earlier (1700s) variety and the upper midwest Germans to very different than the ones that came 100 years or so earlier.

I grew up in an area that was still accepting immigrants from northern Europe well into the 1950s and 60s. Most likely due to the fact that they had relatives already here.

They all seemed to have settled among their own distinct German ethnic or cultural group.

My ancestors in WI settled in areas with a large number of Mecklenburgers and Pomeranians. The majority became farmers...like in the old country

My ancestors from Ostfriesland and Hannover settled in north/central Iowa in an area with a heavy Lower Saxon or Ostfriesian presence. This is evidenced by the large number of Lutheran and Reformed churches in the area and East Frisian surnames are very prevalent here. (Butler County) The majority became farmers..much like they did before leaving their homeland.

My Norwegian grandparents settled in far northern Iowa where there was a large Norwegian settlement. All one has to do is look at the phone books of towns across North Iowa like Lake Mills, Forest City, Northwood, St Ansgar, to get an idea of this.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:23 AM

62 posts, read 84,633 times
My German Ancestors came over in the 1700's and landed in Pennsylvania. They changed their last name several times.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:25 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,415,966 times
My father and his parents came to the United States through Ellis Island and ended up in Texas in 1928 from Hagen, Germany. They arrived on April 23, 1928 on a ship named the "New York". They boarded ship in Hamburg, Germany. There are ancestors that came over before the Civil War and ended up in the states of New York and Massachusetts. One ended up as head of the German Dept. at Wellsely College in Boston and a few others served in the Union army during the Civil War. On many census records that I have found their first and last names were misspelled by the census taker. Which makes it hard to research.

Hagen is the 39th-largest city in Germany, located in the federal state of North Rhine-Westphalia. It is located on the eastern edge of the Ruhr area, 15 km south of Dortmund, where the rivers Lenne, Volme and Ennepe meet the river Ruhr.

My grandparents are buried in La Grange, Texas. My parents are buried in Houston, Texas. My oldest son is buried in Corpus Christi, Texas.

I'm not buried yet.

Hagen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellesley_College

Last edited by slingshot; 10-17-2013 at 07:19 AM..

Old 10-17-2013, 10:31 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,533,757 times
I have two sets of German ancestors that came to the US. My mothers German ancestors came over before the revolution from whatever the Baden area was back then and settled in Virginia and finally Florida. My dad's German ancestors came over in the early 1800's from the Rhineland-palatinate region and settled in Tennessee and eventually made their way to Missouri.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:58 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
At least one of my branches was from Baden and they came over to America in the early 1850s follwing the 1848 revolution in Germany. Sure enough, they fit right in with where most Germans were coming from at the time according to this map. Baden is in southwest Germany.

http://beaumontfamilyhistory.org/IMA...ion%20dots.jpg

18th Century Germans were probably from more northern states though, as the north of Germany is more Protestant and only protestants were legally able to immigrate to America prior to the American Revolution.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:51 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,533,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
At least one of my branches was from Baden and they came over to America in the early 1850s follwing the 1848 revolution in Germany. Sure enough, they fit right in with where most Germans were coming from at the time according to this map. Baden is in southwest Germany.

http://beaumontfamilyhistory.org/IMA...ion%20dots.jpg

18th Century Germans were probably from more northern states though, as the north of Germany is more Protestant and only protestants were legally able to immigrate to America prior to the American Revolution.
You're right! I just checked again and one of the lines that came over before the revolution came from northern Germany. The other that came over in the 1730's was from Baden though and sailed out of Holland. Also, both originally landed in Pennsylvania before heading south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy