U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 12:03 PM
bjh

30,249 posts, read 23,697,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
This is another source for finding free information in Scotland, though it contains mostly sensationalist news, like today's cheap tabloids. It goes back to the early 1800s and covers mostly poems, bawdy songs, who wrote them, murders, prisoners and other lawless types -- anything fantastic. The broadsides are here: The Word on the Street - Broadsides at the National Library of Scotland
Cool. I'll check that out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 05:01 AM

2,646 posts, read 4,040,603 times
For anyone with family in Ireland here is a link to the Irish census for 1901 and 1911.

National Archives: Census of Ireland 1901/1911

Old 08-16-2014, 07:38 PM

4,534 posts, read 7,293,257 times
here's the National Records of Scotland site Home | National Records of Scotland I am Brit, live in the US, have an Irish and a Scots branch of my family and subscribe to FindMyPast which has good UK resources and all UK census to 1911. I think that overall, Ancestry is probably better, but I have been able to find things on FMP that I couldn't find on ancestry.

Also this Genealogy Scottish family birth records census ancestry Scotland uk - ScotlandsPeople

What irritates me is that the US releases their census data much earlier than the UK which is each 100 yrs. The most recent available for the UK is 1911. It's of course every 10 yrs., and been so since 1841. I think the most recent US one is 1940? I read that the 1931 UK census was mostly destroyed by water, and then fire. Here's some info at the National Archives Census records | The National Archives And, the 1921 census was not done in Ireland due to the "Troubles", but was done in 1926 and will be released in a year or two. (This is missing puzzle piece for my family).
The UK 1941 census wasn't taken due to WWII. 1951 was the next one. Access the 1921 UK Census Now? 30 Arguments For and Against

Hope this helps!

Old 08-16-2014, 09:27 PM

2,967 posts, read 4,164,019 times
Thank you, thank you! Adding these sites to my bookmarks.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:54 AM

8,814 posts, read 13,573,729 times
The best free resource I found for UK records is the UK Online Parish Clerks for many counties: Online Parish Clerks Links UKBMD - Births, Marriages, Deaths Indexes & Census Transcriptions Online for UK Family History and Genealogy

Old 08-18-2014, 07:21 AM

12,568 posts, read 13,980,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Thanks anything to help is good!! I am researching Irish relatives, which is proving very difficult because of the clan names there are many with the same names that are completely unrelated. At least I know a county. And I think some of the census records burned at one point or something.
Most Irish census records and much Irish historical material was senselessly destroyed when the two sides in the Irish Civil War decided that it was worth destroying them in a stupid and senseless battle in Dublin which involved the building in which they had been collected for "safe keeping".

I have Irish Catholic families in the area of the present Rep. of Ire., and others who lived in the present No. Ire. I found quite a few Presbyterian Church records that really clarified and expanded the tiny family history I had. North Ireland genealogical sites seem quite thorough, and people very helpful.

In the RoI, I have run into a mixed bag. Some Irish Catholic clergy are terrified that anything genealogical is going to fall into the hand of the Mormons, and the Mormon church baptizes the dead. Some of the nuttier Catholic clergy actually seem to think that Mormon custom could have some effect on the souls of their Catholic departed. Sheeeeeeeeeeesh, talk about voodoo.

I had given copies of letters from the early1880's (now destroyed) to a priest in the parish where my grt. grand parents came from. He was delighted as he intended to have a small museum in the school. The incumbent is (from the report of locals) a benighted grump, and he has refused the answer me when I enquired about those copies - now destroyed in the U.S. He is grudging about parish records and research as well.

Farther to the south, where my other grtgrtgrandparents lived the parish records for the entire diocese are online! There is a thriving local interest in genealogy...and the whole picture is quite the opposite. I learned an enormous amount about these people from local records and local historical interest.

It is hard shovelling to get farther back than the 1830's. But it can be done in some areas.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:57 AM

21,866 posts, read 21,987,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Some Irish Catholic clergy are terrified that anything genealogical is going to fall into the hand of the Mormons, and the Mormon church baptizes the dead. Some of the nuttier Catholic clergy actually seem to think that Mormon custom could have some effect on the souls of their Catholic departed. Sheeeeeeeeeeesh, talk about voodoo.
I never cease to be amazed at the stupidity of some people.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:18 PM

9,186 posts, read 4,234,955 times
I'm wondering if you have records on one side of your family going back to the Son & Daughters of the American Revolution, if it makes it easier to figure out the other side with a service like this or Ancestry?

Old 08-28-2014, 01:47 PM

5,192 posts, read 8,314,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I'm wondering if you have records on one side of your family going back to the Son & Daughters of the American Revolution, if it makes it easier to figure out the other side with a service like this or Ancestry?
Not likely. But perhaps, if there was a lot of "in-breeding"; ie, cousins marrying cousins.

Especially not in a case like mine, where father's line came to the colonies in 1630 from England; and my mother herself came from Italy in 1927.

Old 08-29-2014, 04:10 PM

6,098 posts, read 9,016,816 times
I did get a couple responses from Rootschat.com but nothing significant to help me.
Actually one member criticized me for not entering a date in the correct manner ! Nuts to them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or