U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 06:50 PM

18,006 posts, read 17,159,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I did get a couple responses from Rootschat.com but nothing significant to help me.
Actually one member criticized me for not entering a date in the correct manner ! Nuts to them...
Well, I ought to try Rootschat anyway--and I will make sure I enter the date correctly!!!!!!!!

That above site does not have Yorkshire and I need Yorkshire, Halifax area. I'm at a dead end and have even paid a little bit to the Borthwick Institute in York but to no avail. Isn't it frustrating when you know the information MUST be somewhere--but where?

Old 09-16-2014, 10:13 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,442,905 times
What does this show me?
https://www.familytreedna.com/family...r-compare.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 11:45 AM

8,223 posts, read 12,814,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
You'd be better off starting a new topic for this since it has nothing to do with the original subject. But regardless, that is an autosomal DNA test. It will give you estimated ethnicity percentages and a list of people who you share autosomal DNA with. Autosomal DNA includes data from all your chromosomes but it can't tell you which segments come from which side of your family or which ancestors.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:28 PM

2,603 posts, read 3,774,225 times
Quote:
I'm getting this done but I've had myself and 3 other family members done on 23andme. Apparently 23andme shows more recent ancestry within the last 500 years and FTdna within 1000 years. I think 23andMe is a bit more specific in their results.

FTdna are very good for ydna. They are the leaders are far as mtdna and ydna. The family finder is for autosomal dna only.

I would suggest you go with 23andMe first because as well at autosomal they will give you an idea of your mtdna and ydna as well. Then you can go on from there if you wish to do further testing.

Having my mother test at 23andMe refined my results ever further.

Good luck with what you decide.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:08 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,442,905 times
I just want to find out my %'s clearly like Irish, Scottish, English.

I've been looking at the 23 results and they don't even do that and also it shows unspecified european which wouldn't be too good..

Last edited by Summerwhale; 09-17-2014 at 04:21 AM..

Old 09-17-2014, 11:21 AM

2,603 posts, read 3,774,225 times
Quote:

I've been looking at the 23 results and they don't even do that and also it shows unspecified european which wouldn't be too good..
I don't think that is possible as yet. It is very difficult to separate those countries. In my 23andMe I don't get unspecified European.

Anyway if you get your dna done you can download it to another site like GEDMatch which is free. There are some really good calculators on there which can show you what populations you are closest to.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I would suggest you go with 23andMe first because as well at autosomal they will give you an idea of your mtdna and ydna as well. Then you can go on from there if you wish to do further testing.
If you're a woman, I don't think 23andMe's haplogroup results are beneficial. You don't get a Y haplogroup and the mt haplogroup doesn't really tell you anything that will help you connect with DNA matches. I don't know how beneficial the Y haplogroup is.

If you're only going to test once and you want to do DNA genealogy research, I would recommend FTDNA. They have the best tools for viewing match DNA data and getting in touch with your matches. They have a chromosomal browser that you don't need to get permission from each match to view their genomes like on 23andMe, and they have an "in common with" tool that allows you to see groups of people who all match each other, helping you to determine how you might all be related (which 23andMe does not have). They also seem to have more people who upload gedcoms than those at 23andMe.

I think because 23andMe used to provide health reports, it was used more for that than ancestry and genealogy. FTDNA is solely used for genealogy purposes.

The only thing 23andMe has over FTDNA is a break down of which segments of your chromosomes they have classed as coming from which regions - theoretically this helps determine your shared regional ancestry with someone (if they are a match on chromo A segment x-y and that segment is defined as Southern European, you know your ancestry is probably from a Southern European branch of your tree). But just like the ethnicity percentages, they are estimates based on the company's particular sample groups, which will be different with different companies. I still use it for potentially getting an idea of a shared regional ancestry though but it's not resulted in anything conclusive and it's not enough for me to recommend 23andMe over FTDNA.

However, if you think you might test with more than one company, I recommend testing with 23andMe and then transferring your data over to FTDNA for $69, getting the best of both for $170 instead of $200. Whoever you test with, I recommend also uploading your data to GEDmatch - it's free so nothing to lose and you can connect with people from all the autosomal DNA companies who have uploaded there.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:

23andMe is just more honest about the fact that sometimes it's not possible to determine where certain portions of your DNA come from. DNA is not defined by political borders and some regions have such a mixing of DNA that it can be impossible to distinguish them apart.

There is no Scottish category with any DNA company because the Scottish are genetically not distinct enough from the English to tell them apart (sorry, Scots - even if you vote in favor for your independence tomorrow you are still genetically the same as the English). FTDNA and 23andMe have no category for Irish either, they both only have a category for the British Isles, including Ireland. AncestryDNA does have a category for Irish - but they are just using this as a "Celtic" category, meaning that their British category is more "Anglo-Saxon". In contrary, FTDNA say their British Isles category is especially typical of Ireland - so their British Isles category is more "Celtic".

And as such that means the British category is difficult to tell apart from the French/German category, because after all, the Angles and Saxons were Germanic. Equally, British is sometimes genetically too similar to Scandinavian to tell apart, thanks to the Viking raids on England. This is the problem with my DNA. AncestryDNA put my British heritage at about 55%, with small percentages for German and Scandinavian, meanwhile, FTDNA says I have ZERO British ancestry with higher percentages of German and Scandinavian. Neither are "wrong", my family tree has all three in it, it just means my British DNA is a strong mix of Anglo-Saxon and Viking and therefore is very similar to German and Scandinavian DNA. Remember, FTDNA's British Isles category is "Celtic" and AncestryDNA's Irish category (which I had no results in either) is "Celtic" - so in actuality FTDNA and AncestryDNA are in agreement: I'm not Celtic.

23andMe simply don't attempt to define something which is undefinable. They tell me I'm 24.3% Broadly Northern European because they know there's a large chunk of my DNA which is not distinguishable between British, German, and Scandinavian. That's not their fault, it's just the nature of the science. If you're not happy with that, DNA testing is not for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or