U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2013, 01:00 PM

178 posts, read 331,603 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking to see if anyone knows or has a link to any studies on when the Irish began arriving at the Islands, and their history their. I know most of the known studies about Irish immigration to the Caribbean have mostly been focused on places like the Barbados and Montserrat.

So any knowledge solely on Trinidad and Tobago would be very appreciated. Thanks, in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 09:39 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,657,871 times
I'll jump in, but with no expertize. Trinidad is one of the more diverse of the islands, and it has gone through many hands. It came late to the English. My personal experience only -- Irish families I have traced to Trinidad have come through other islands. Many originating in Barbados, then down the line of the Grenadines to T & T. Some early opted to give Guyana a try - a hard way to go back then - and preferred to opt out and wound up back in Trini. Unlike the English islands, there were no mass early indentures etc to non-English Trinidad.

Any particular surnames you are looking at?

Old 07-17-2013, 10:20 PM
bjh

26,058 posts, read 22,775,493 times
Irish diaspora to the Americas, includes some Caribbean destinations: Irish diaspora - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-17-2013, 11:51 PM

2,746 posts, read 3,914,197 times
TriniGenWeb - Home Page
"TriniGenWeb is a Country Web Site in the CaribbeanGenWeb Region of the WorldGenWeb Project. This collection of sites is run by volunteers. TriniGenweb's purpose is to provide a resource for sharing information related to Trinidad and Tobago genealogical research. "

This article may be of some interest:
Irish set up T&T's convents, colleges | Trinidad Express Newspaper | News
"The exact date of arrival of Irish immigrants to Trinidad is not known.
According to Fr Anthony de Verteuil, "Even before 1800, the Irish community formed a definite entity in Trinidad." The first known group came under the terms of the 1783 Cedula of Population and settled in Chacachacare and moved later to other parts of Trinidad"

Old 05-18-2018, 11:00 AM

6,754 posts, read 3,354,490 times
I know this thread is super old, but I wanted to add something to it.

I was searching my own family tree and I know on my Dad's maternal side they can trace their roots back to Ireland ( among many other places) back to an Irish Man that was involved in the slave trade. However, just because they came back and forth to the island does not mean that at least the men stayed. Often men had children with women but never stayed. So they left their genetics ... but not much else. I have no idea if this was the case in my family lineage.

Also I know at least in the 1950s there were Catholic Nun's and priests from Ireland on the Island. My mother went to a Catholic Private School in Port of Spain and had nothing nice to stay about those nuns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy