U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 05:06 AM

2,473 posts, read 2,740,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
When you were in school, did you ever play the "gossip game" where the teacher would whisper a sentence in one kid's ear, and he/she had to whisper it the next kid who then had to whisper it to somebody else until it went all through the class? Inevitably, by the time the "gossip" got through 20 or 25 kids, it was totally different.

That's how oral history works. It's family "gossip" that gets mangled as it's passed down. Somebody tells his/her kids about something that he/she took part in or witnessed, and the kids change the story a bit when they tell their kids because maybe they forgot a key part or they confused a name ... and by the time it gets to the great-grands, it's very different.
Good point to be made. I think this explains a lot of it here. I remember the gossip game example in 5th grade you describe above.

Unfortunately, I only knew one of my blood-related grandparents, the rest had died much earlier. While my grandfather told the same stories over and over, I wished now I had written them down. Some of his own family stories were quite colorful but not quite as eventful as what some others describe here in this thread.

One small example was my grandfather around age 10 in the late 1920s had to go out and kill a chicken by wringing its neck at his grandmother's. He would then defeather it, so they would cook it for dinner. Along the same lines, I believe he said his own grandfather would drink raw eggs for breakfast after breaking the contents of the shell into a glass.

Now some of these stories and familial details are forgotten with the passage of time. Some of us "think" we will remember things, but like the waves of time splashing at the beach, and generations, much of the information does get lost or muddied or comes out inaccurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 12:48 PM

31 posts, read 42,293 times
Not as major as your discovery, but I have an aunt who swears part of our German lineage hails from Stuttgart. I've never been able to confirm this by documents...however I found "Berlin" attached instead!

Old 12-31-2013, 03:12 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 20 days ago)

14,433 posts, read 16,748,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
When you were in school, did you ever play the "gossip game" where the teacher would whisper a sentence in one kid's ear, and he/she had to whisper it the next kid who then had to whisper it to somebody else until it went all through the class? Inevitably, by the time the "gossip" got through 20 or 25 kids, it was totally different.

That's how oral history works. It's family "gossip" that gets mangled as it's passed down. Somebody tells his/her kids about something that he/she took part in or witnessed, and the kids change the story a bit when they tell their kids because maybe they forgot a key part or they confused a name ... and by the time it gets to the great-grands, it's very different.
I've found Mom's stories are pretty nearly right,at least in terms of what. Supposedly my great grand mother's family was burned out during the Civil War. It's still possible since I've been able to find so little about her younger years. Her parents were from Tennessee, but she was born a few years before the war in Illinious, so they left for some reason. I'll have to do some research to see how things were like there in the years before.

But my great grand father's family WAS burned out and evicted right after the war started and Order 11 went into effect in Missouri. He was a baby then, but they too went to Illinious, then back to Missouri then Iowa. She ended up in Iowa and did marry at fourteen like mom said.

I wouldn't dismiss family stories entirely, but don't be surprised if it the details are altered.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:44 PM

2,473 posts, read 2,740,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yochanan77 View Post
Not as major as your discovery, but I have an aunt who swears part of our German lineage hails from Stuttgart. I've never been able to confirm this by documents...however I found "Berlin" attached instead!
And the thing is, if your familial records go back to before 1871, then those would have been different principalities within the greater German Empire, so geographically, Stuttgart and Berlin were "small countries" apart in the 19th century! I bet there would be great variation in records from that era as well, though I do not know about German ancestry research first hand to give an experienced opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy