Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 09:59 AM

37,104 posts, read 41,226,282 times

Advertisements

Tallysmom said she thought she and her hubby were "distantly related." Depending on the distance, they may not share DNA at any of the loci currently tested, even if there is a genetic connection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 10:17 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
By the way, does anyone think it's hilarious that the mods changed the title of my thread? I had originally said that sometimes parents are "full of sh*t" about family history. It's so funny that some people get away with saying really egregious things on this site, but my little use of an altered s-word gets changed as if people will be harmed by it.

The change to "are not knowledgeable" really takes the bite out of my original intention of my post. Couldn't you at least make it "full of crap about family history"?

Old 08-02-2013, 11:36 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
By the way, does anyone think it's hilarious that the mods changed the title of my thread? I had originally said that sometimes parents are "full of sh*t" about family history. It's so funny that some people get away with saying really egregious things on this site, but my little use of an altered s-word gets changed as if people will be harmed by it.

The change to "are not knowledgeable" really takes the bite out of my original intention of my post. Couldn't you at least make it "full of crap about family history"?
Generally discussion of moderation is off-limits at City-Data. I don't think it is "hilarious" (despite the seeming acceptance of such words in TV programming and our culture at large) to bypass City-Data's word filters, clearly they are in place for a reason. There still should be some tact used in titling a thread.

In the smaller/non-volatile forum areas the moderators may not be so heavy-handed with thread titles and posts, in "Politics and Other Controversies" section a similar thread title would have been renamed quickly or the topic closed/deleted, your latest post deleted, and probably with a ten-day timeout for your account...

Old 08-02-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Generally discussion of moderation is off-limits at City-Data. I don't think it is "hilarious" (despite the seeming acceptance of such words in TV programming and our culture at large) to bypass City-Data's word filters, clearly they are in place for a reason. There still should be some tact used in titling a thread.

In the smaller/non-volatile forum areas the moderators may not be so heavy-handed with thread titles and posts, in "Politics and Other Controversies" section a similar thread title would have been renamed quickly or the topic closed/deleted, your latest post deleted, and probably with a ten-day timeout for your account...
Yeesh, had no idea we couldn't talk about the mods! And I've been here for years. Still, I hardly think anyone would be offended by seeing the word "sh*t" or even "crap."

I also had no idea that "Genealogy" was not a "smaller or non-volatile" forum. I just think someone had a very touchy day and complained to a mod about my use of "sh*t." But it was sincerely used for rhetorical purposes. I consider my words carefully before using them
Yes, I do find it outrageously funny that someone was offended by "sh*t"--it's not like I used the actual word.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:36 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Yeesh, had no idea we couldn't talk about the mods! And I've been here for years. Still, I hardly think anyone would be offended by seeing the word "sh*t" or even "crap."

I also had no idea that "Genealogy" was not a "smaller or non-volatile" forum. I just think someone had a very touchy day and complained to a mod about my use of "sh*t." But it was sincerely used for rhetorical purposes. I consider my words carefully before using them
Yes, I do find it outrageously funny that someone was offended by "sh*t"--it's not like I used the actual word.
It may have just been moderator action on their own, without any complaint. As I said, C-D feels it necessary to have filters for certain words in place. If someone is able to bypass the filters (using asterisks or other means), and the connotation is the same, isn't that just like saying the filtered word anyway?

The City-Data ToS (with all of the warts to how it is unequally applied anyway) should be the same for all forum sections and members. That's all I am going to say here, in an effort to remain "on-topic" (and avoid talk of "moderation"). There is an "About the Forum" section that you can raise these sorts of questions (at your peril).

Old 08-02-2013, 02:22 PM

ZZZiipppppp

Old 08-02-2013, 02:41 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Our German is a small percentage. I really like sauerkraut though.
Our German is a decent chunk, but I have no affinity for anything "German" -- the food, music, history, nope.... not really. The more I think of it though, the more I realize how my Grandmother's speech was peppered with German words and phrases and this is something I don't think SHE even realized she was doing, and something that didn't even click with me as German stuff until recently, looking back.

I feel more of a "connection", for lack of a better term, with my Scottish ancestry, oddly enough.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:44 PM

Sally, I just noticed that you're the one who started that other thread about mothers who change their version of reality. Now I'm putting it al together. Our moms have a lot in common.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:39 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
I am convinced that family is some of the worst resources to use when discovering family history. lol.

My grandmother SWORE that BOTH of her grandmothers were Cherokee Indian. I bought the 23andMe DNA test for his recently and he results showed that she was 100% European. Not a drop of Cherokee blood in her. lol.

And another hilarious story! My mother asked me (I am the true expert on family history in our family) the question "Hey, we are part Dutch, right?". I told her "no mom, we have no Dutch in our history". She then replied with "Yes we do! That is where my great-grandfather was from, right!?"

My mother's great grandfather immigrated to America in the year 1886 from AUSTRIA!

I reminded my mother that he was Austrian and you know what her reply was? "Isn't Austrian the same thing as Dutch?"

Hahaha! Just a typical American with no clue about her ancestry.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post

Hahaha! Just a typical American with no clue about her ancestry.

Or she's a typical mother like mine who just makes up her own facts. Austrian is the same as Dutch. Joseph was Otto and died in the flu pandemic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy