U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2013, 08:34 PM

49 posts, read 54,169 times

Advertisements

I want to look up my father's side of my family and was interested in looking into Ancestry.com but sites like these seem so complicated in part because when I search my surname, Morina rarely comes up and Morena, or Moreno populates the results page.

Does anyone have any better suggestions than sites like these?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 10:07 PM

952 posts, read 1,862,940 times
It's VERY important to remember spelling variations. Many times a name was spelled by a clerk or other person they way it sounded to them, not by the person with that last name. Morina can be spelled many ways: Morina, Marina, Murina, Moreena, etc. If you only look at record with the name "Morina" and no other spelling, you will miss a lot. USGenweb Free Genealogy and Family History Online - The USGenWeb Project is a pretty good site, but not all county sites are the same. Some have a lot of information, and some have very little. You just have to check it out. Find a Grave Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records can be very helpful also.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:57 AM

217 posts, read 302,440 times
Depending on what city you're in, your local library might have a subscription to the LDS Family History Library Family Search, GALE, or Heritage Quest . (Your library has to pay for subscriptions, so they may or may not have these resources). I started my search with these databases...I was able to log on and search online, through my local library's website with my library card.

But eventually it got convoluted, and I ended up purchasing the Ancestry.com membership anyway,. The thing is, the places where the records are held (Family History Library, US Census website) do not have very good search engines. You have to know exactly what you're looking for when you dive into those databases. That's really what Ancestry charges for: the proprietary search engines. Ancestry is really user friendly when you're just starting out- maybe think about giving Ancestry another shot.

Lots of time gets devoted to analyzing whatever documents you turn up, from wherever you get them. Like Cindiana said, you may have many family documents that are under slightly different spellings, or other documents with similar family names that are not your family. GenWeb and Find A Grave are great resources, too, but you can sometimes find inaccuracies.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:32 AM

8,216 posts, read 12,805,062 times
Yes, as Cindiana points out, spelling is very fluid in history and in genealogy. Particularly on census records, these were/are taken for demographic purposes so name spelling was never of top priority.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:15 AM

9,209 posts, read 18,043,938 times
I just did a quickie search on Morina on ancestry.com, and got tons of hits. If you want to let me know any first names, approximate dates, and the cities/states they were in, I can let you know what comes up. Then you can decide if it's worth pulling the trigger and paying for membership. You can private-message me if you don't want to post the info publicly. I only have the USA membership, so can't get into foreign records.

Also, did you try Familysearch.org? They are free and I get lots of Morina hits there as well.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:09 PM
bjh

26,058 posts, read 22,780,245 times
www.familysearch.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or