U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 06:19 AM

2,776 posts, read 6,965,362 times

Advertisements

Actually, you are BOTH correct. Russia is in Europe AND Asia.

What Continent is Russia in? – Siberian Light

Old 07-20-2013, 06:28 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,235,952 times
Race means a lot of things in the West. It's a broad concept that covers cultural background, a physical phenotype, geographic origin, and there's perhaps a scientific(and pseudo-scientific) component to it well. The concept developed largely due to the political, cultural, and later on pseudo-scientific and scientific considerations. In the US, being "White" meant that you were a member(in full standing) of American society and enjoyed all of rights and privileges that went along with it(in theory, it didn't always work that way). However, since race is such a vague concept(even though to the average person who's been culturally conditioned to think within it's constructs, it's fairly obvious), there was always a problem of definition and establishing objective parameters.

The reason why people from the Middle East are considered "White/Caucasian" in the US is because of political considerations( Middle-Eastern Christians and Jews lobbied for Middle Easterners to be "White" to enjoy the full benefits of America) and the fact that there was no scientific basis(if there is one for race in the context of race in American culture) to not classify people from the Middle East as Caucasians. Hence, while you might not consider yourself to be White and/or considered to be White in the American social context, you are legally White/Caucasian.

Personally, I don't believe you should let yourself be bothered by it. It's just a box that the government wants you to check and doesn't dictate who you are as an individual. Chromatic identities are rather silly.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 07-20-2013 at 06:44 AM..

Old 07-20-2013, 06:29 AM

17,570 posts, read 21,748,544 times
First of all, race is a social construct, as another poster pointed out. But it exists.

"Arabs" include people from and Syria and Lebanon. They are "white". So are those from Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan and Iran, etc.

Israelis are from the same general area, and are also "white", but are not "Arab".

Old 07-20-2013, 08:39 AM

8,385 posts, read 9,947,952 times
When you think about it, the white European population in this country is a lot smaller than people think. It sure isn't 65% of the population.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:03 AM

7,099 posts, read 23,889,158 times
Reminds me of a true story.

I worked in the admitting office of a southern hospital. The form had a box for RACE. You used W for white, C for Colored and O for other. At some point. someone decided that C wasn't right. We should used B for black.

Force of habit caused a lot of mistakes. One day, someone called me from the floor and blessed me out for letting my clerks use C. (Yep, force of habit mistake.) She intended to report me...blah, blah, blah! So I told her that she had it all wrong. C stood for Caucasian, and W meant Whatever else. Then I hung up. Don't know what she thought, but I never heard anymore about it.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:15 AM

5,165 posts, read 10,475,839 times
This is how I (I am a light-brownface) *solved* the problem.
Anytime I fill in some form, I enter *human* for *race*.

Only once were there questions ...
I asked the person in charge what I should enter.
She asked me where I was born and then she took a long look at me, and kept the entry I used ...

Another true story.
HR person comes by.
Asks me what race I am.
I ask *why do you need to know* ?
Answer: We need to fill our quota for minorities.
I ask *what are you short off, fill in that answer yourself* ?
Answer: I can not do that, that is not honest.
I answer with: *You really think they are double checking* ?
She left, and I never heard of her anymore about this item ...

Old 07-20-2013, 01:14 PM

72,674 posts, read 64,140,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Not 100% sure if this is the proper forum. If not, can a mod please move?

Anywho, I'm Arab so I'm not some angry racist.

When I fill out applications, I have to list myself as white. I don't "feel" white. None of my friends consider me white either.

I'm Arab with some Turkish (which most people think is Arab anyways). To most people, I don't look Arab. I have a Christian first name and my last name looks more Italian than Arab. When I went to Europe, when I was in Spain, France, Italy, and Greece random people came up to me in the native tongue. So I'm not a super Arab guy but it kind of gets to me cause I know if I ask my white friends they'll say, "you ain't white."

I know it has to do with the skull shape and language but I don't think its fair. I feel like a minority but I get treated like I'm part of the majority when I'm really not.
Jews are considered White. Therefore, all Semitic peoples fall into the same category. What else would Arabs be, if not White? What category would you propose? Unless a new category is created, the only other option would be "Asian". The term "Oriental" is no longer used to indicate ethnicity.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:17 PM

72,674 posts, read 64,140,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
The term "Oriental" use to mean Middle Eastern about 700 years ago before trade routes with China really started.

The term "white" is so damn relative and racist really. When the Irsh came to America, they weren't really considered white. Same thing with the Italians. It took a new, more different looking ethnicity for those groups to become considered "white".
If there had been a national census at the time, they would have been.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:36 PM

30,325 posts, read 31,191,100 times
I guess the amount of people in the USA of Arab origin isn't large enough for them to have actually created a separate category racially for that group of people.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:11 PM

4,827 posts, read 6,929,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I think the census needs some have sort of Middle Eastern category that separates them from Europeans and Africans. If Pacific Islanders can be considered a distinct race group then why not people in Western Asia?
If "Middle Eastern" is listed on any category, you can best believe people are going to complain and say it's a way to "spy" on Middle Easterners or accuse them of being terrorists.

I never answer those race/ethnicity questions on any applications. There's no need for anyone to know that and if it's for a job, they'll find out when they call me in for an interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or