U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 03:42 PM

2,776 posts, read 6,964,466 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately certain Federal forms cannot be submitted without checking a specific race. You know, those hot button issues---medical/financial assistance and firearm registration. It's important to know how many minorities have guns, dontcha know.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:16 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,133,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
They're not.

Not sure where this is coming from but I've never heard anyone refer to Arabs as white.
A lot of those Bedouins have very white skin and blue eyes. What would you call them if they are not white which they surely are.

The Iranians are not Arabs I know but Persians. You know Hitler's imaginary race the Aryans? Do you see any similarities between those two terms? Well the Persians are the original Aryans. I'll bet you think they aren't white either. LOL

Old 07-20-2013, 08:34 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,635,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I'm Syrian/Lebanese and I would never list myself as Asian. That's like asking a Russian to list themselves as Asian. In the US, that's Chinese and in the UK, thats Indian. I don't relate at all to those groups.
The majority of Russia is in Asia isn't it?

Old 07-20-2013, 08:44 PM

12,623 posts, read 12,065,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I guess the amount of people in the USA of Arab origin isn't large enough for them to have actually created a separate category racially for that group of people.
Neither are Pacific islanders, but yet they have a classification for them.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:50 PM

12,623 posts, read 12,065,272 times
When the US gov thinks making another classification based on ethnicity will be politically advantageous, they will do it, just as they did with Hispanics. But given the political climate, everyone would be afraid of losing something, so they will not address it even if it came up.

Making blocs of voters is great because it allows the politicians to pander easier, and many people feel this need to go with the flow of their described group; you get this with the liberal versus conservative argument all of the time. Also, many people play into the stereotype of the group, which makes it even better for politicians.

So until the majority of politicians feel Arabs need to be segregated from everyone in order to manipulate for political reasons, there will not be category for them.

But this then turns into; how many different ethnic groups should be counted? There are dozens, hundreds of ethnic groups in the US, even Hispanics are not one group, they are many unique groups lumped together for absurd reasons.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:15 PM

24,757 posts, read 32,891,787 times
I know several Egyptians and Moroccans who are black and identify as such. And one black Egyptian American sued the Government a few years ago because they said he was not eligible for Small Business Association minority status because Egyptians were considered white. Arabs are like Latinos/Hispanics in that they are not a racial but an ethnic/linguistic/cultural group. Some Arabs are clearly white, others are clearly nonwhite and even black.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:45 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,016,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Not 100% sure if this is the proper forum. If not, can a mod please move?

Anywho, I'm Arab so I'm not some angry racist.

When I fill out applications, I have to list myself as white. I don't "feel" white. None of my friends consider me white either.

I'm Arab with some Turkish (which most people think is Arab anyways). To most people, I don't look Arab. I have a Christian first name and my last name looks more Italian than Arab. When I went to Europe, when I was in Spain, France, Italy, and Greece random people came up to me in the native tongue. So I'm not a super Arab guy but it kind of gets to me cause I know if I ask my white friends they'll say, "you ain't white."

I know it has to do with the skull shape and language but I don't think its fair. I feel like a minority but I get treated like I'm part of the majority when I'm really not.
"skull shape"? Explain.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:24 AM

394 posts, read 1,295,818 times
I come from very mixed ethnicities. I either mark "all of the above" or "other". I don't like the term "race". We're different ethnicities, not different races.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:14 AM

2,858 posts, read 6,200,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
"skull shape"? Explain.
Someone already mentioned it. The Negorid, Mongoloid, and Caucasoid races.

Mongoloid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just read the first paragraph.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:05 PM

9,064 posts, read 9,217,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
The majority of Russia is in Asia isn't it?
The majority of Russian people live in Europe. Prior to 1533 the Russian tsardom existed entirely in Europe, and it was a process of colonization that lead them to conquer the territory in Asia. As such, the country is normally considered a European nation.

As I understand it, the census form is about self-identification. You answer the questions as you see fit. It fits with the scientific understanding of race prior to WWII, and tries to meet with widely held social conventions.

If you want to say it is arbitrary, and scientifically inaccurate, then you would be 100% correct. Arabs lobbied the federal government prior to WWII to be considered White, largely to maximize their social standing. In the present day, they are completely free to check OTHER, and many groups (particularly Iranians) widely support checking "other" and writing in "Iranian" on the form. They believe that an accurate census count will increase their political standing.

As scientifically outmoded as the color coded racial system invented in the 18th century (White, Black, Yellow, Red, and Brown) is considered today, it's social hold is still strong. But scientists talk in terms of haplogroups, and not races.

The biggest group of people that check "other" on the racial question of the US census is Latinos. The phrase "morenos" (brown people) or "mestizo" (mixed people) are very common in Mexico, but are not historically significant in much of the USA prior to WWII.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or