Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 10:25 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,935 times

Advertisements

Not 100% sure if this is the proper forum. If not, can a mod please move?

Anywho, I'm Arab so I'm not some angry racist.

When I fill out applications, I have to list myself as white. I don't "feel" white. None of my friends consider me white either.

I'm Arab with some Turkish (which most people think is Arab anyways). To most people, I don't look Arab. I have a Christian first name and my last name looks more Italian than Arab. When I went to Europe, when I was in Spain, France, Italy, and Greece random people came up to me in the native tongue. So I'm not a super Arab guy but it kind of gets to me cause I know if I ask my white friends they'll say, "you ain't white."

I know it has to do with the skull shape and language but I don't think its fair. I feel like a minority but I get treated like I'm part of the majority when I'm really not.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:37 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
Politics, nothing more or less.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:38 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,936,361 times
You can list yourself as mixed race. I think the overwhelming majority of Americans would say if you "look" Italian or French or Spanish ... you are "white." After all, those countries are in Europe. But if you're Egyptian you are African and therefore not white in most people's perceptions. Most Arabs - especially Syrians, Lebanese, Saudis, Iraqis are actually "Asian." Why not list yourself as "Asian?"

Old 07-19-2013, 10:39 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,747 times
They're not.

Not sure where this is coming from but I've never heard anyone refer to Arabs as white.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
You can list yourself as mixed race. I think the overwhelming majority of Americans would say if you "look" Italian or French or Spanish ... you are "white." After all, those countries are in Europe. But if you're Egyptian you are African and therefore not white in most people's perceptions. Most Arabs - especially Syrians, Lebanese, Saudis, Iraqis are actually "Asian." Why not list yourself as "Asian?"

I'm Syrian/Lebanese and I would never list myself as Asian. That's like asking a Russian to list themselves as Asian. In the US, that's Chinese and in the UK, thats Indian. I don't relate at all to those groups.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:12 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I'm Syrian/Lebanese and I would never list myself as Asian. That's like asking a Russian to list themselves as Asian. In the US, that's Chinese and in the UK, thats Indian. I don't relate at all to those groups.
I think the census needs some have sort of Middle Eastern category that separates them from Europeans and Africans. If Pacific Islanders can be considered a distinct race group then why not people in Western Asia?

Old 07-19-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I think the census needs some have sort of Middle Eastern category that separates them from Europeans and Africans. If Pacific Islanders can be considered a distinct race group then why not people in Western Asia?
I was gonna mention that. On applications white is - of European, N. African, or Middle East descent. That's three different continents.

I mean, I can pass for white much more than 95% of Arabs. However, my sister not so much and most of family on both sides wouldn't be either.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:10 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,889,092 times
I've wondered about this myself, but I think these are just artificial constructs used our overly-race-focused country.

I know a family that is from Egypt. Technically they're "African American" since they came from the continent of Africa and they're now Americans. But they say they never know how to answer the "race" question when there are limited categories.

What about a white person from South Africa coming to the US? Are they African-American?

Technically a person from Russia is Asian, since Russia is in Asia. But they would be given a hard time if they checked the Asian box.

Iran is in Asia, but a person of Iranian descent would not identify as "Asian."

I think it's all so ridiculous. It's only the people who want racial division for their own personal or political gains who want this stuff in place. I'm basically color-blind until I have race shoved in my face. But then again, I just heard a race-baiter say that "color blind" is a "code word" for "racist," so you can't win.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:11 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I was gonna mention that. On applications white is - of European, N. African, or Middle East descent. That's three different continents.

I mean, I can pass for white much more than 95% of Arabs. However, my sister not so much and most of family on both sides wouldn't be either.
Remember, on job applications answering that question is optional. So you can choose to not answer.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Remember, on job applications answering that question is optional. So you can choose to not answer.
You'd be surprised how often the system doesn't let you online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy