U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 02:34 PM

3,295 posts, read 4,626,715 times

Advertisements

Surnames derived from the word for "blacksmith" include
Smith - English
Schmidt - German
Smit, Smid, Smed, DeSmedt - Dutch
Schmieder - Yiddish
McGowan, MacGowan - Irish, Scottish
Lefebvre, Lefebre - French
Fabbri, Ferraro, Ferraro - Italian
Ferrer - Catalan
Kowalski, Kowalska - Polish
Kovacs - Hungarian
Kuznets, Kovalev - Russian
Kovac - Czech
Kovacic - Serbian/Croatian
Kovenko, Kovenchuch - Ukrainian
Herrera - Spanish
Ferreira - Portuguese
Haddad - Arabic / Lebanese

Last edited by slowlane3; 08-03-2013 at 02:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 19 days ago)

14,432 posts, read 16,743,296 times
My grandfather's name is described as anglo-scandanivan and yet I couldn't find anything which told how. I decided to start searching and came upon this site. It gave me the whole story, the likely dane personal name combined with a saxon 'of' and the first occurance of the name, its mutations and the first offical recordings of it.

It gave me a place to start looking up more. They sell coat of arms, but the write ups on the surname data base are good. Apparently several of the family surnames are either anglo scandinavian or scots scandinavian, and with the name references and lists referenced, I am looking further.

Surname Database: Last Name Origins

Old 08-08-2013, 09:08 AM

51,544 posts, read 50,770,194 times
My own last name, which is relatively common and which you've all heard before, was an English occupational name in the days of castles and manors, but probably originally a Norman-French word. It is amusing because the occupation is related to what I do for a living.

Some occupational names are obvious, like Butcher or Taylor (Tailor).

Other occupational names that people might not recognize as such are Walker, Fuller, and Mercer, all jobs having to do with the English wool industry. Fletcher was a guy who made arrows. Cooper made barrels.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:25 PM

2,470 posts, read 2,739,690 times
Great thread. Thanks for sharing some interesting links on family names.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:30 AM

697 posts, read 864,015 times
Many English surnames are derived from either a place where someone was from or lived (like London or Irish), an occupation (like Fuller), a descriptor of how one was related to another (like Johnson--John's son), and sometimes a personal attribute someone had (either by personality or even a physical trait, like Swift or Armstrong).
On occasion that descriptor was of a derogatory nature, like my own surname of Ballard---it dates to at least the 12th century and means "bald headed man".

Old 11-11-2014, 04:00 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 19 days ago)

14,432 posts, read 16,743,296 times
Any name with a traditional spelling ending in eon means 'of' the first part, which is either an saxon name or in my grandfather's case, scandinavian. Spurg is a personal danish name. This dane lived in the danelaw. He normally would have named his son or dauther Spurgs dottor/son. But Old English and the language spoken by the Danish settlers were so close they could understand each other. He chose to name his child 'of spurg' instead. Or Spurgeon. Some names you have to go back to more origional spellings. Spurgin is a more common spelling but of the same origion. Anything anglo scandinavian dates back to the seven to eight hundreds and may well have begun in scotland or the area which was part of the Danelaw.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:31 PM

18,138 posts, read 17,270,572 times
And many names are of French origin from the Norman invasion. For instance, Black may really derive from Blanc, meaning white.

I have a funny surname in my tree, going waaaay back from a woman who married my gt gt grandfather. Her surname was Murgatroyd, as in Heavens to Murgatroyd. But the name was de Morgateroyde, meaning of Moor Gate Royde or the area leading to the moor. "A clearing in the forest on the road to the moor"--according to Wikipedia. Royd is Norse for a clearing and Gate means street in Norse. That's what it meant in Yorkshire. Seems like a mix of Norse and French. He married de Lacy and that named morphed into Lacy. A long time ago, not that long after the Norman invasion.

You get a lot of Viking derived surnames in Yorkshire.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:31 PM

8,220 posts, read 4,499,592 times
my name is not common as in many people but a common word, well I did my dna and had thousand of hits, many exact with another name in scotland. so when my family came to united states in 1600"s they drop the family name and took a new name

Last edited by brownbagg; 11-17-2014 at 07:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy