U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 07:36 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,421,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GINGERSNAP1963 View Post
Thank you for you post. You know, I figured that as well, that most of the British Isles, especially folks with long ancestral ties or families that moved to America in the early part of settling, would have DNA similar to mine. It just makes sense with all the invasions of the island. I wonder if the Australian settlers have similar DNA? Would the Irish also be considered Viking/Celts or just Celts or part of the Anglo-Saxons? Do you know? Some places I read it says they are Celtic and others say Scotland and Wales are were the Celts ended up, with Scotland having the purest of Celtic DNA genes?
Ireland was full of Vikings . In fact the city of Dublin was founded by Vikings. As Scandanavians tend to have some Russian/Finnish blood. My DNA shows caucauses and FInland . Viking spent a lot of time in Russia

Last edited by JennyMominRI; 07-30-2013 at 07:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 07:56 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,274,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
Ireland was full of Vikings . In fact the city of Dublin was founded by vikings. As Scandanavians tend to have some Russian/Finnish blood. My DNA shows caucauses and FInland . Viking spent a lot of time in Russia

Oh thank you Jenny, you are so helpful.

That is probably why they said my mother's Halo-group (?) was related to Bono from U2 (who must have a lot of Viking in him as I do,) and well, Ben Franklin too but he was womanizer, (perv,) so I usually don't care to recognize him as an ancestor. har har but a great humanitarian and musician I will.

Did they indicate anyone famous in your mother's Halo-group that you're related to?

Old 07-30-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Oh thank you Jenny, you are so helpful.

That is probably why they said my mother's Halo-group (?) was related to Bono from U2 (who must have a lot of Viking in him as I do,) and well, Ben Franklin too but he was womanizer, (perv,) so I usually don't care to recognize him as an ancestor. har har but a great humanitarian and musician I will.

Did they indicated anyone famous in your mother's Halo-group that you're related to?
Famous, well I have a line to Richard Warren of the Mayflower. That same line also goes to William Brewster. However, it goes through an illegitimate child so the Mayflower society won't let me in. I looked because my mother would have loved that.
I also link to Martha Allen Carrier. She is my 7th Gr Grandmother and she was the oldest executed Salem Witch, who of course wan't really a witch at all. Her mother was Faith Ingalls and Faith is the progenetor of the Ingalls name in America. I did the math and my relation to Faith makes me a 4th of 5th cousin man times removed of Laura Ingalls Wilder.
I know that through the Richard Warren link I'm related to a ton of famous people, He died soon after arriving in Plymouth but had a whole bunch of kids
Anyone who links back to Colonial America will have lots of interesting connection. It's just simple math. There weren't that many Europeans here in the 17th Century.

I don't know my Haplogroup as the tests I took through Ancestry.com and FamilyTreeDNA didn't give them.

Last edited by JennyMominRI; 07-30-2013 at 08:28 AM..

Old 07-30-2013, 08:08 AM

Here is a little something for my Viking brothers and sisters, whether close or distant. I'll play the silly one first.

http://youtu.be/ApxnAr6pRt0

Then this version of the great Led Zepplin song is newer but pretty good. You just have to overlook the fact the lead singer in this video looks so much like the actor Kevin Bacon. But the lead singer also looks like he could be a cousin of mine. He may have Viking in him too, but that's just conjecture. However, Slash, plays the guitar on this one and it's really good.

http://youtu.be/kUdGbHb0nRA

And here is just one of the many documentary's on the Vikings.

http://youtu.be/T1yAxo94ClU

Old 07-30-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
Famous, well I have a line to Richard Warren of the Mayflower. That same line also goes to William Brewster. however it goes through an illegitimate child so the Mayflower society won't let me in. I looked because my mother would have loved that.
I also link the Martha Allen Carrier. She is my 7th Gr Grandmother and she was the oldest executed Salem Witch, who of course wan't really a witch at all. Her mother was Faith Ingalls and Faith is the progenetor of the Ingalls name in America. I did the math and my relation to Faith makes me a 4th of 5th cousing man times removed of Laura Ingalls Wilder.
I know that through the Richard Warren link I'm related to a ton of famous people, He died soon after arriving in Plymouth but had a whole bunch of kids
Anyone who links back to Colonial America will have lots of interesting connection. It's just simple math. There weren't that many Europeans here in the 17th Century.

I don't know my Haplogroup as the tests I took through Ancestry.com and FamilyTreeDNA didn't give them.
Wow that's so cool. I'm sorry about your relative Martha Carrier. That was an awful time in our history.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:12 AM

8,906 posts, read 13,655,028 times
Quote:
Thank you for you post. You know, I figured that as well, that most of the British Isles, especially folks with long ancestral ties or families that moved to America in the early part of settling, would have DNA similar to mine. It just makes sense with all the invasions of the island. I wonder if the Australian settlers have similar DNA? Would the Irish also be considered Viking/Celts or just Celts or part of the Anglo-Saxons? Do you know? Some places I read it says they are Celtic and others say Scotland and Wales are were the Celts ended up, with Scotland having the purest of Celtic DNA genes?

Sorry I just have so many questions.
You might find answers in the book "Saxons, Vikings, and Celts: The Genetic Roots of Britain and Ireland" by Bryan Sykes

Old 07-30-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
You might find answers in the book "Saxons, Vikings, and Celts: The Genetic Roots of Britain and Ireland" by Bryan Sykes
Thank you.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Thank you.
There have also been genetic studies done recently that show that the Celts actually came from Spain

Ancient Britons come mainly from Spain - News - London Evening Standard

Old 07-30-2013, 10:51 AM

1,661 posts, read 1,994,279 times
I didn't really have any surprises other than less German/French than I expected. It only came out to 13% with 44% British/Irish. There is about 35% non specific Northern European though. My paternal haplogroup is also Celtic L21.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:52 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,728,729 times
Celtic 'culture' may have been brought to Britain via Spain, but the genes of Spaniards and Britons were present in their respective regions for some 35,000 years; tens of thousands of years before 'Celts' even existed.

I am not sure what is implied by 'Celtic genes', but the term is analogous to 'American genes'. Assuming that populations rarely engaged in short-term mass-migration, you would think that the closest thing to a possibility of Celtic genes would encompass what are today German, Italian, and Slavic speaking areas in central and southern Europe.

Any clarification on what these genetic testing orgs mean by 'Celtic genes'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy