U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 01:11 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,268,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Celtic 'culture' may have been brought to Britain via Spain, but the genes of Spaniards and Britons were present in their respective regions for some 35,000 years; tens of thousands of years before 'Celts' even existed.

I am not sure what is implied by 'Celtic genes', but the term is analogous to 'American genes'. Assuming that populations rarely engaged in short-term mass-migration, you would think that the closest thing to a possibility of Celtic genes would encompass what are today German, Italian, and Slavic speaking areas in central and southern Europe.

Any clarification on what these genetic testing orgs mean by 'Celtic genes'?
Hi, thank you so much for the post. Can you link us to your information on this please or cite your references. I'm trying to hunt down all avenues or even dark alleys on this.

It baffled me that the Celtic culture, as you state, would be the first ones to inhabit the island. I knew there had to be humans there previous to that. Yet, I have not read where the original tribesman were called Bretons. From pre-Ice Age to the Bronze Age, it seems they could have been anyone and from anywhere so far. Furthermore, due to weather they left and came back or they left completely and maybe others came for their first time. You are so welcome to correct me on this.

From what I've read, and what I've read could be wrong, the Celts were the first humans, with a language, to be found on the British Isles during the Bronze Age. And though the Celts did invade or travel into Spain and even further down, they were not originally from there, though I know you did not propose that. Some rumors have stated that an old language found in Spain, or Portuguese, was similar to the Celtic language but that has been academically discarded. Now I have read one report that declared the Germanic tribes were there first but most of the scholars have thrown that out as mere rubbish due to no actual archeological or linguistic findings. Have they not checked the DNA from any of the old bones from Archaeologically digs to that of the Germanic tribes or was there too much time elapsed to link them to any more modern ethnicity? If they seem certain that some of them were Neanderthal, than who are the descendants of the Neanderthal? Most of modern Europe?

See what I mean though, so many scholars and just too many theories. As far as Celtic genes I suspect they are referring to the area in middle Europe above Germany and onto the east since that was the map they sent me. Which is why I was confused to why they are separating them from Brits, Slavs and Germans??? That was part of my question too, are the Brit genes in me of the later Germanic tribes that swept in and took over or are they linked/matched to some of earliest findings of humans there, which included Neanderthals as well. Hum, so interesting.

Having a lot of Celt in me, along with the Scandinavian, and it being distinquished apart from the DNA of Brit,(maybe Germanic,) in me than...WHAT THE HEAVENS AM I? I think I'm going to go with Slavic. It's just the most rational as far as any map shows. Which is why I called myself a Norsepolean in my first post.

In truth, I think we are in the infant stage, or maybe toddler stage, of archaeology and with further DNA improvements mixed with more digging it will yield more accurate information. I sure hope so because I am getting very confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 01:51 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,984,299 times
This is a good discussion on the topic:
Are Celts and Germanics the same people?

Old 07-30-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
This is a good discussion on the topic:
Are Celts and Germanics the same people?
Thank you waviking, I'll read it.

I was just watching a show called Ancient Celts. It shows where modern archeologists have uncovered what, as we already figured, is proof that the Romans accounting of the Celts was mostly false, (as in stupid barbarians,) and just propaganda. But since the Celts did not leave written accounts, that we know of yet, we only had the Roman's side of the story to go on for centuries, better yet, 2 millennium.

In the show it claims the Roman's were not trying to defend themselves against an angry, drunken mob of barbarians, as Caesar would have us believe, but rather they wanted what the Celts had, which was major wealth, gold, silver, iron, etc. and technology much further along than the Romans. Oh, I'm so rapt in the show so I'll read your link a little later.

Last edited by GINGERSNAP1963; 07-30-2013 at 03:00 PM..

Old 07-30-2013, 03:01 PM

13,140 posts, read 36,663,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GINGERSNAP1963 View Post
A question as well, if the Celts came from the area above Germany, wouldn't that make them the original Poles? Does anyone know? If that's the case than I am a Norsepolean. He he, say it fast and it sounds like Northpolean.

Also it's weird for me to know that I am more Neanderthal than Asian. Just weird.
Gingersnap,

Actually the ''Celts'' arose in what is now southern Germany and Austria with very little archaeological evidence for Poland being a source (Poles are high in R1a Corded Ware Cultured peoples). The Celts who are a ''cultured'' and not a ''race'' first appeared in the Hallstatt and La Tene cultured peoples back some 1200 b.c. -800 b.c. to which they slowly morphed westward/northwestward and are ubiquitous with the paternal R1b Haplogroupings highest in all of western Europe today.

For some fun here as i'm guessing that you are paternally (y-DNA) either I2 or R1b haplogroup's and maternally (mt-DNA) either H or U haplogroup's.

Lastly read up on not just the Vikings but of the Nordic Bronze culture peoples 1500 B.C. - 500 B.C. as they had a fascinating and highly advanced Scandinavian culture back then long before the advent of the Vikings .

Old 07-30-2013, 05:42 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,469,879 times
Quote:
Thank you waviking, I'll read it.

I was just watching a show called Ancient Celts. It shows where modern archeologists have uncovered what, as we already figured, is proof that the Romans accounting of the Celts was mostly false, (as in stupid barbarians,) and just propaganda. But since the Celts did not leave written accounts, that we know of yet, we only had the Roman's side of the story to go on for centuries, better yet, 2 millennium.

In the show it claims the Roman's were not trying to defend themselves against an angry, drunken mob of barbarians, as Caesar would have us believe, but rather they wanted what the Celts had, which was major wealth, gold, silver, iron, etc. and technology much further along than the Romans. Oh, I'm so rapt in the show so I'll read your link a little later.
Sounds really interesting. Where can one find it?

I remember a while ago in a documentary about how as the current 'good' weather epoch was beginning there were many fluxautions in temperature in the north and regions like the British Isles were settled and depopulated by ice several times over.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Foot Three View Post
Gingersnap,

Actually the ''Celts'' arose in what is now southern Germany and Austria with very little archaeological evidence for Poland being a source (Poles are high in R1a Corded Ware Cultured peoples). The Celts who are a ''cultured'' and not a ''race'' first appeared in the Hallstatt and La Tene cultured peoples back some 1200 b.c. -800 b.c. to which they slowly morphed westward/northwestward and are ubiquitous with the paternal R1b Haplogroupings highest in all of western Europe today.

For some fun here as i'm guessing that you are paternally (y-DNA) either I2 or R1b haplogroup's and maternally (mt-DNA) either H or U haplogroup's.

Lastly read up on not just the Vikings but of the Nordic Bronze culture peoples 1500 B.C. - 500 B.C. as they had a fascinating and highly advanced Scandinavian culture back then long before the advent of the Vikings .
Oh thank you six foot three, I'm not the brightest human on the planet and if there are no country names printed on a map just a colored area as they sent me from 23andm3.com for my Celtic DNA match I kind of am just guessing. It looked north of Germany but gracious, I'm not sure if I could locate Germany on a map without names or country outlines. I know that sounds really stupid but it's the truth.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Sounds really interesting. Where can one find it?

I remember a while ago in a documentary about how as the current 'good' weather epoch was beginning there were many fluxautions in temperature in the north and regions like the British Isles were settled and depopulated by ice several times over.
Yes nightbird I've read something similar. I just looked up Celts on You Tube, I know so scientific of me-right, but the one I was watching was called Ancient Celts and it has 4 parts to it. I really, really enjoyed it. I hope you do too.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:50 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,416,821 times
JFTR, None of my dna test said "Celts" one them. It said things like Orcadian, Fennoscandian etc. Never saw celtic

Old 07-31-2013, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
JFTR, None of my dna test said "Celts" one them. It said things like Orcadian, Fennoscandian etc. Never saw celtic
Oh Jenny, I am so sorry about my comment on Celts being possibly from Spain. I had no idea you had posted a link with the information on it.

I just wanted to say that in one of my previous posts I wasn't trying to slam your reference material, heck, I had not even read it or knew what it was about yet. I was planning on reading it later because I needed to get back to work. I'm so sorry if it appeared that way. I was citing something all together different from an article I had read on the internet and, you know, everything you read on the internet is true har har. None of my references can even be remotely compared to your college education on the subject. I highly respect your opinion and will read the link today when I'm not busy.

I'll admit all day long to being a dingbat, but a meanie I am not.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:29 AM

13,140 posts, read 36,663,566 times
Quote:
Oh thank you six foot three, I'm not the brightest human on the planet and if there are no country names printed on a map just a colored area as they sent me from 23andm3.com for my Celtic DNA match I kind of am just guessing. It looked north of Germany but gracious, I'm not sure if I could locate Germany on a map without names or country outlines. I know that sounds really stupid but it's the truth.
Lol, nothing to sweat about. Yeap it's all kinda cool to research about our Haplogroups and as to where they/we originated from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy