U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 02:14 AM

1 posts, read 835 times

Advertisements

I too am related to Bono and Ben Franklin. My haplogroup is W3a, if that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 04:50 PM

1,519 posts, read 883,660 times
Yes almost thirty percent west african 26.9 percent! I am from South Africa so that is suprising.
But it's due to slavery and tribes coming from west Africa.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:06 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,045,229 times
Sometimes the testing has errors. I'm not sure what the error rate is for the most popular DNA ancestry services... but they do happen.

My father had results one way with National Geographic's geographic project... said he was 70% Dutch, which was a huge surprise to all of us. Further testing with Family Tree DNA showed zero Dutch ancestry. The results were more in line with what we expected. Go figure.

If results seem way off, it's worth double checking.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:18 PM

My admixture results are almost the same across companies,so I think it can be accurate.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:11 PM

8,940 posts, read 5,081,575 times
celts are not people or race, but a way of life, style

Old 04-10-2016, 12:13 PM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,232,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
Yes almost thirty percent west african 26.9 percent! I am from South Africa so that is suprising.
But it's due to slavery and tribes coming from west Africa.
How did you determine that?

Old 04-10-2016, 02:14 PM

Well im from the mpondo tribe they came from the great lakes but I was only 0.6 percent eastern african where the Great Lakes are so all this west african had to come from slavery.

It's common if you're a mixed South african to have slave ancestry.

I dreamt of the Igbo tribe one night who I hadn't heard of,and apparently they were a massive source of slaves to the Americas and elsewhere and they are from west Africa,so im guessing some of my slave ancestry is from them.

In african culture we believe ancestors communicate through dreams and that has always been the case for me I've gotten alot of genealogical info from dreams.

Im also from the Damara tribe in Namibia who they say came from west Africa which would also explain it.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:32 PM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,232,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
Well im from the mpondo tribe they came from the great lakes but I was only 0.6 percent eastern african where the Great Lakes are so all this west african had to come from slavery.

It's common if you're a mixed South african to have slave ancestry.

I dreamt of the Igbo tribe one night who I hadn't heard of,and apparently they were a massive source of slaves to the Americas and elsewhere and they are from west Africa,so im guessing some of my slave ancestry is from them.

In african culture we believe ancestors communicate through dreams and that has always been the case for me I've gotten alot of genealogical info from dreams.

Im also from the Damara tribe in Namibia who they say came from west Africa which would also explain it.
Read page 138.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...and_Demography

Old 04-12-2016, 07:32 AM

1,068 posts, read 735,866 times
To say Brits are not Celtic but the Welsh, Scots are, I am confused like saying Chief Sitting Bull is not American. I guess she meant the English

Old 04-12-2016, 08:45 AM
TKO

2,939 posts, read 3,098,858 times
I always thought I was a quarter each of Dutch, English, German and Ashkenazi. Recently found it was half Ashkenazi and the other half was French/English/Irish with little Dutch even though my mom has a Dutch maiden name.

Makes no difference to me, but my dad was surprised to find out his dad had been lying about being German - grandpa, who died when I was young, had an involved story about relatives in the Kaiser's army and connections to the Catholic church in southern Germany. Come to find out (through newspaper records and immigration documents) he was somewhat of a con-man on the Mississippi river who ventured as far as South America as a young man, although he apparently gave it up when he got married to my grandmother and managed factories from then on. He was a commie too! Family history is the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy