U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 04:25 PM

4,690 posts, read 7,739,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
The thing to remember about DNA testing is that nationalities don't matter. DNA testing goes back tens of thousands of years, to a time long before anything resembling nation-states existed. The best DNA testing can do is tell you what nations have populations that are similar to your genetic background.

Being of British descent, I'm not surprised your test turned out the way it did. The Brits are a mongrel people due to having experienced so many influxes of new peoples. They were originally Celts, but later had Anglo-Saxons, Romans, Normans and Scandinavians come to the island, let alone the immigration that has occurred in the last century.

For that reason, DNA testing is not really all that useful for genealogy if a person is primarily interested in family trees. But it is really fascinating if you want to see where your genes come from going back to the dawn of time.

Also, virtually all non-Africans will exhibit some Neanderthal DNA, though Europeans have the highest percentage while people from central and east Asia have less. There have been some very good documentaries on Nat Geo and Nova about the Neanderthals and how a lot of us still have their genetic material.
The British are not more "mongrel" than other European groups. In fact, their geographical location in North-West Europe helped for a relative "isolation" or "insular isolation". Celtic speakers were the people present before Roman invasion since the Bronze or Iron Age depending on recent studies. of the Romans, Jutes, Saxons, Angles, Frisians, Danes, Norse, Normans, it is the Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Frisians who had the second strongest genetic impact on the British populace. While Romans and Normans had a minimal impact though the Scandinavian/Viking one was moderate (strongest in the north and west of Scotland).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 09:38 PM

8,230 posts, read 12,836,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
It's Cornwall not Cornwell by the way!
So I presume you've never made a typo ever in your entire life?

Quote:
Cornwall is still mostly Celtic in comparison to the rest of England, but not as Celtic as Wales. The Cornish have received more Germanic admixture than the Welsh. It really depends what we mean by "Celtic" race, in Britain, Celtic was meant to call the pre - Roman people of Britain who were simple Celtic speakers. As with "Germanic" or "Slavic" races, etc...
I never said otherwise, I was just pointing out the article was not necessarily saying there is no Celtic race at all.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:30 PM

269 posts, read 428,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GINGERSNAP1963 View Post
......................Another thing that surprised me was that it showed .1% Asian - most likely from India. Then reading some other posts that would mean it possibly showed up right before my father's family left England, (this is where both the wee bit of Asian and Brit showed up which makes sense since that whole side of the family are dark haired, dark eyed and dark skinned and I don't mean just brown hair either, black hair and eyes with an olive skin tone.) Yet, my thinking had previously been that the dark coloring might possibly be African since his family had landed in the south and stayed there. But not so, it's Asian instead. ... Just weird.
Point, Dot .1 Asian (east,south, African, Jamaican)? Who cares..... That's a fart in the wind. I think your making this up. Ooops, shame on me.

Popped up in threads...making the most of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy