Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 03:27 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times

Advertisements

I've been wandering around in Gedmatch and got intrigued by the possibility of being partly Native American. Like many people, I have the family story and, like many people, I still can't come up with a definite yes or no answer. I'd love to settle this once and for all, if possible.

On an Ancestry message board someone else was asking the same questions--if it shows up a little bit using Eurogenes on Gedmatch, what else can you do to find out more definitely?

A reply that sounded knowledgeable was to click on the pie charts for Oracle 4 and see if it shows up. Also, it should show up on the Eurogenes K36 pie chart.

For Eurogens K15 pie chart--nothing. I do get .95 Siberian and I don't know whether that's referring to those who came over the land bridge ages ago or if it just means they lived in Siberia. Maybe no ones knows these things.

For Eurogenes K13 pie chart--Amerindian 0.10. Siberian--1.39.

I guess my question is What do they mean by the Eurogenics K36 pie chart? I can't find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 03:49 PM

Never mind. I just found something that says K36 has been deleted but there are other (tests?) now that apparently do the same thing. So that didn't solve anything.

I'm looking at my archaic matches now.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:09 PM

10,210 posts, read 17,862,571 times
Eurogenes K36 is still available and the pie chart is just the chart that shows up on the right side of every gedmatch admixture results. It’s just a chart showing the percentages listed on the left hand side. I do not know what they mean by pie charts for Oracle - there are no pie charts for Oracle. K36 doesn't have Oracle available, but it wasn't deleted, it was just never available. The creator says this is due to the Calculator Effect: http://bga101.blogspot.com/2012/05/b...or-effect.html

I really wouldn’t put much stock in any gedmatch calculator- like any ethnicity report, they are only estimates and small percentages can just be noise.

My husband is British (born and raised), and has no Native American ancestry (his ancestry is entirely British Isles), yet he gets 0.65% Amerindian on Eurogenes K15. It doesn't mean anything.

The creator of Eurogenes also talks about not taking K36 (or any calculator, really), too literally: http://bga101.blogspot.com/2013/03/e...-gedmatch.html

Last edited by PA2UK; 10-23-2018 at 04:31 PM..

Old 10-23-2018, 04:24 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Never mind. I just found something that says K36 has been deleted but there are other (tests?) now that apparently do the same thing. So that didn't solve anything.

I'm looking at my archaic matches now.
K36 is still around. There is no Oracle on the Gedmatch site, but this works much like an Oracle for the test.

Taux de Similitude

Old 10-23-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Eurogenes K36 is still available and the pie chart is just the chart that shows up on the right side of every gedmatch admixture results. It’s just a chart showing the percentages listed on the left hand side. I do not know what they mean by pie charts for Oracle - there are no pie charts for Oracle. K36 doesn't have Oracle available, but it wasn't deleted, it was just never available. The creator says this is due to the Calculator Effect: Eurogenes Genetic Ancestry Project: Beware the "calculator effect"

I really wouldn’t put much stock in any gedmatch calculator- like any ethnicity report, they are only estimates and small percentages can just be noise.

My husband is British (born and raised), and has no Native American ancestry (his ancestry is entirely British Isles), yet he gets 0.65% Amerindian on Eurogenes K15. It doesn't mean anything.

The creator of Eurogenes also talks about not taking K36 (or any calculator, really), too literally: Eurogenes Genetic Ancestry Project: Eurogenes K36 now at GEDmatch

Thanks, I couldn't find it but maybe I won't bother anyway. I was reading about the British people who come up Amerindian. Maybe a common ancestor from around 40K years ago in Siberia? Or maybe nothing at all.

Gedmatch is fun to play around with anyway. If I had found a really high match, it could have been even more fun. After I started looking at the Archaic matches, I found another interesting article. I don't know how knowledgeable these people are who write these things, but this person says to try using the archaic match and set it at no less than 2 cm-4 cm. That way you are more likely to show an actual ancestor rather than just some odd co-incidence/noise.

It's fun too! After you find your ancient "matches" you can take their kit numbers and compare it to your own to see if you share DNA with an ancient person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
K36 is still around. There is no Oracle on the Gedmatch site, but this works much like an Oracle for the test.

Taux de Similitude
Thank you.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:14 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,302,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I've been wandering around in Gedmatch and got intrigued by the possibility of being partly Native American. Like many people, I have the family story and, like many people, I still can't come up with a definite yes or no answer. I'd love to settle this once and for all, if possible.

On an Ancestry message board someone else was asking the same questions--if it shows up a little bit using Eurogenes on Gedmatch, what else can you do to find out more definitely?

A reply that sounded knowledgeable was to click on the pie charts for Oracle 4 and see if it shows up. Also, it should show up on the Eurogenes K36 pie chart.

For Eurogens K15 pie chart--nothing. I do get .95 Siberian and I don't know whether that's referring to those who came over the land bridge ages ago or if it just means they lived in Siberia. Maybe no ones knows these things.

For Eurogenes K13 pie chart--Amerindian 0.10. Siberian--1.39.

I guess my question is What do they mean by the Eurogenics K36 pie chart? I can't find it.
I'd recommending painting your chromosomes via admixture using Eurogenes K15. Look for any large continuous segments, there are online calculators where you can put in the rough build positions from there and it will tell you how much cM it is. At that point I'd treat it like a cousin match, ideally finding something 10 cM or larger is likely legitimate (possibly smaller segments too, though if your looking for higher confidence then look to see if you have any larger segments).

Old 10-23-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
I'd recommending painting your chromosomes via admixture using Eurogenes K15. Look for any large continuous segments, there are online calculators where you can put in the rough build positions from there and it will tell you how much cM it is. At that point I'd treat it like a cousin match, ideally finding something 10 cM or larger is likely legitimate (possibly smaller segments too, though if your looking for higher confidence then look to see if you have any larger segments).
Thank you. That sounds good. I wish I could do it right now, but time doesn't permit. I can hardly wait to give it a try though!

Old 10-23-2018, 06:28 PM

661 posts, read 879,614 times
They still have the Eurogenes K36
Here is my results:

Population
Amerindian 24.81
Arabian 0.76
Armenian 2.83
Basque 3.52
Central_African 1.01
Central_Euro 1.38
East_African -
East_Asian -
East_Balkan 0.77
East_Central_Asian 0.34
East_Central_Euro 3.44
East_Med 0.70
Eastern_Euro 1.30
Fennoscandian 0.97
French 1.69
Iberian 12.76
Indo-Chinese -
Italian 11.29
Malayan -
Near_Eastern 4.55
North_African 4.26
North_Atlantic 5.29
North_Caucasian -
North_Sea 3.45
Northeast_African -
Oceanian -
Omotic 0.48
Pygmy -
Siberian 2.19
South_Asian -
South_Central_Asian -
South_Chinese -
Volga-Ural 0.33
West_African 7.53
West_Caucasian -
West_Med 4.36

Old 10-23-2018, 07:40 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,891,093 times
I utilized the K15 calculator and did find an interesting small Amerindian Segment but this segment is basically Heinz 57 there is also a Siberian component which is found in Amerinidan ancestry, as well as Southeast Asian, South Asian(India), Oceanian, Sub-Saharan African, North East African, and mixed with some other components typically found in Iberians.
Attached Thumbnails
Gedmatch Pie Chart Amerindian (Native American)-k15-1.png   Gedmatch Pie Chart Amerindian (Native American)-k15-2.png  

Old 10-23-2018, 09:19 PM

661 posts, read 879,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I utilized the K15 calculator and did find an interesting small Amerindian Segment but this segment is basically Heinz 57 there is also a Siberian component which is found in Amerinidan ancestry, as well as Southeast Asian, South Asian(India), Oceanian, Sub-Saharan African, North East African, and mixed with some other components typically found in Iberians.
Here is my K15:
Population
North_Sea 7.79
Atlantic 17.47
Baltic 5.95
Eastern_Euro 2.50
West_Med 13.59
West_Asian 2.39
East_Med 8.62
Red_Sea 3.15
South_Asian -
Southeast_Asian -
Siberian 1.60
Amerindian 26.67
Oceanian -
Northeast_African 1.24
Sub-Saharan 9.03
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy