U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2015, 01:15 AM

618 posts, read 2,485,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post

They look more like Dominicans and some of the blacker Puerto Ricans than anything else, but some of them do have a Melungeon look too (who are, also, mulattoes).
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 06:49 PM
AFP

6,058 posts, read 3,622,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
So based on this, if you had to guess an African country for that part of me, what would it be? He was the one to predict 3% Western African for my mother. Does Senegal seem right?

What is interesting to me is that when we compare parents' results to their children, it is often NOT split halfway down the middle unlike what we think. I think you can inherit more of one grandparent than another, even if you get 50/50 from both parents.

That is correct I have tested my two daughters, my self, and both of my parents. The daughters don't share equal amounts of autosomal DNA with each grandparent due to the recombination of the DNA. With each generation the DNA that is passed on is even more mixed due to recombination I suspect one could inherit dramatically different amounts from each great grand parent.

From the paternal side 50% of their DNA

Daughter A inherited 58% from her paternal grandfather and 42% from paternal grandmother.

Daughter B inherited 44% from her paternal grandfather and 56% from paternal grandmother.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
[/b]

That is correct I have tested my two daughters, my self, and both of my parents. The daughters don't share equal amounts of autosomal DNA with each grandparent due to the recombination of the DNA. With each generation the DNA that is passed on is even more mixed due to recombination I suspect one could inherit dramatically different amounts from each great grand parent.

From the paternal side 50% of their DNA

Daughter A inherited 58% from her paternal grandfather and 42% from paternal grandmother.

Daughter B inherited 44% from her paternal grandfather and 56% from paternal grandmother.

I know I inherited less than 25% of my maternal grandmother, and come up disproportionately Slavic like my grandfather. I have less than half of the African genes as my mother, and definitely shift northeast.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:14 AM

858 posts, read 747,628 times
Just to add to keep in context, it's good to remember that the DNA markers that they look at for ethnicity and even matching only makeup a small portion of our overall DNA, all humans share something like 99.9 percent of our DNA and the "100%" we all reference in these tests are just the 0.01% that is different. In fact it's probably a lot less considering the DNA tested and reported on are only the markers we know and identify... Not to suggest that it's more useful to think of 100% in the context of just the different DNA, but with all the talks of percentage of inherited DNA etc it's important to remember this context.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:27 AM
AFP

Quote:
This is what he gave me, I'll just show you this.

Most likely fit is 98.1% (+- 0.6%) Europe (all Southern Europe)
and 1.9% (+- 0.6%) Africa (various subcontinents)

The following are possible population sets and their fractions,
most likely at the top
Italian= 0.984 Mandenka= 0.016
Italian= 0.984 Yoruba= 0.016
Italian= 0.984 Bantu Ke= 0.016
Italian= 0.985 Bantu So= 0.015
Italian= 0.976 Ethiopia= 0.024
Italian= 0.970 Ethiopia= 0.030
Italian= 0.971 Ethiopia= 0.029
Italian= 0.981 Maasai= 0.019
Italian= 0.987 Biaka Py= 0.013
Italian= 0.990 Mbuti Py= 0.010

I found an interesting link it looks like the first large scale importation of slaves into Portugal were from Nigeria and exclusively female the trade was done with the Kingdom of Benin from the Yoruba tribe however they weren't trading slaves from their own tribe with the Portuguese but rather captives from the neighboring tribes such as the Igbo's, Ijaw, Sobo, etc. tribes. It appears that during the period that the Kingdom of Benin began trading slaves with Europeans from it's own tribe they were doing so with the Netherlands and Britain not Portugal.

Benin and the Slave Trade | Dmitri Bondarenko - Academia.edu

Regarding DNA one of my daughter's myOrigns results is 0% for sub-Saharan African the other is 1%. However daughter A at 0% whom I just recently received myorigns results on and recently uploaded her results to Gedmatch.com I have noticed that the sub-Sahran African consistently shows up on all the calculators. The two African populations that consistently come up Yoruba and Mandenka she also consistently matches Yoruba more closely. However I am now think that the Yoruba weren't the the likely source rather it is the best fit for her DNA as no Igbo or Ijaw sample populations are included for comparison.

Last edited by AFP; 09-24-2015 at 11:03 AM..

Old 09-30-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I found an interesting link it looks like the first large scale importation of slaves into Portugal were from Nigeria and exclusively female the trade was done with the Kingdom of Benin from the Yoruba tribe however they weren't trading slaves from their own tribe with the Portuguese but rather captives from the neighboring tribes such as the Igbo's, Ijaw, Sobo, etc. tribes. It appears that during the period that the Kingdom of Benin began trading slaves with Europeans from it's own tribe they were doing so with the Netherlands and Britain not Portugal.

Benin and the Slave Trade | Dmitri Bondarenko - Academia.edu

Regarding DNA one of my daughter's myOrigns results is 0% for sub-Saharan African the other is 1%. However daughter A at 0% whom I just recently received myorigns results on and recently uploaded her results to Gedmatch.com I have noticed that the sub-Sahran African consistently shows up on all the calculators. The two African populations that consistently come up Yoruba and Mandenka she also consistently matches Yoruba more closely. However I am now think that the Yoruba weren't the the likely source rather it is the best fit for her DNA as no Igbo or Ijaw sample populations are included for comparison.

So you think my African ancestor(s) may have been Nigerian or Beninese, rather than Senegambian? What we are often told is most African ancestry in Portuguese islanders (Azores, Madeira, and Cape Verde especially) is Senegambian though that may not be entirely true.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:34 PM
AFP

Quote:
So you think my African ancestor(s) may have been Nigerian or Beninese, rather than Senegambian? What we are often told is most African ancestry in Portuguese islanders (Azores, Madeira, and Cape Verde especially) is Senegambian though that may not be entirely true.

I think it is likely the African DNA you inherited is from various source populations although some were definitely Senegambian there are a few records in the Azores indicating the origins of some slaves as Guinea-Bissau and Cape Verde in the 1500's-1600's. As I have mentioned one of my genetic cousins her maternal lineage is L2 she is 3% sub saharan African and we share over 100CM of autsomal DNA all of her matches are in the Senegambian region with a cluster of 8 in Mali. There is also another person whose maternal lineage traces to the same town in the Azores that is an L2 she is 2% sub-Saharan African and her results only differs my cousins by two mutations.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
I think it is likely the African DNA you inherited is from various source populations although some were definitely Senegambian there are a few records in the Azores indicating the origins of some slaves as Guinea-Bissau and Cape Verde in the 1500's-1600's. As I have mentioned one of my genetic cousins her maternal lineage is L2 she is 3% sub saharan African and we share over 100CM of autsomal DNA all of her matches are in the Senegambian region with a cluster of 8 in Mali. There is also another person whose maternal lineage traces to the same town in the Azores that is an L2 she is 2% sub-Saharan African and her results only differs my cousins by two mutations.
And these cousins of yours are fully Azorean, right? I definitely think most of the African in Cape Verde, Azores and Madeira is Senegambian and I always took that for granted. I just always questioned it because GEDmatch calculators always also give my mom a Central or Southern African element (whichever calculator element represents such a thing).

Old 09-30-2015, 08:52 PM
AFP

Quote:
And these cousins of yours are fully Azorean, right? I definitely think most of the African in Cape Verde, Azores and Madeira is Senegambian and I always took that for granted. I just always questioned it because GEDmatch calculators always also give my mom a Central or Southern African element (whichever calculator element represents such a thing).
Yes they have genealogical records going back to the early 1700's.

The upper Guinea slaves(Senegambia) were mostly exported from Cape Verde(specifically Santiago island) whereas the gulf of Guinea slaves(between Ghana and Gabon) were exported from Sao Tome island.

The slaves from the Senegambia region would have been sent to Cape Verde directly from the port of Bissau apparently that is the only Port the Portuguese had access to in the region prior to the scramble for Africa.

The Atlantic islands were all linked through trade Azores, Madeira, Cape Verde, Sao Tome.

Last edited by AFP; 09-30-2015 at 09:18 PM..

Old 10-01-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Yes they have genealogical records going back to the early 1700's.

The upper Guinea slaves(Senegambia) were mostly exported from Cape Verde(specifically Santiago island) whereas the gulf of Guinea slaves(between Ghana and Gabon) were exported from Sao Tome island.

The slaves from the Senegambia region would have been sent to Cape Verde directly from the port of Bissau apparently that is the only Port the Portuguese had access to in the region prior to the scramble for Africa.

The Atlantic islands were all linked through trade Azores, Madeira, Cape Verde, Sao Tome.
Santiago is the most "African" island in Cape Verde and was the last to develop a Portuguese-based Creole culture, and they also have the least Portuguese ancestry (and almost no non-Portuguese European ancestry). For a long time, Santiago was basically an island populated by unmixed Africans, who had resisted Latinization. On the other hand, Fogo and Brava became more Portuguese early on, both in terms of demographics, culture, and admixture.

As to your latter point, the trade between these islands also involved people. I know at least between Madeira and Cape Verde, there were population movements in both directions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy