U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2015, 06:49 PM
AFP

6,063 posts, read 3,626,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
Santiago is the most "African" island in Cape Verde and was the last to develop a Portuguese-based Creole culture, and they also have the least Portuguese ancestry (and almost no non-Portuguese European ancestry). For a long time, Santiago was basically an island populated by unmixed Africans, who had resisted Latinization. On the other hand, Fogo and Brava became more Portuguese early on, both in terms of demographics, culture, and admixture.

As to your latter point, the trade between these islands also involved people. I know at least between Madeira and Cape Verde, there were population movements in both directions.
There was some movement but very limited between the Azores and Cape Verde mostly the purchase of slaves from Cape Verde it is well recorded that slaves were imported to the Azores from the Cape Verdean island of Santo Antao in 1548. The movement between Madeira and Azores was pretty much in one direction settlers from Madeira to the Azores.

I contacted my matches with sub-Saharan African maternal lineages they both responded to my questions both of their maternal lineages trace to my island of origin in the Azores. FTDNA at some point updated the match list and some people that previously showed as matches dropped off.

1. Hoplogroup L2a1c uncommon in West Africa her only match with Africa is from Mali at the HVR1 level meaning the common maternal ancestor has a 50% chance of being within the last 1,500 years. It is also possible her match has only tested at the HVR1 level. I match 36CM of autosomal DNA with this match.

Someone created an interesting video on the distribution of mtDNA L2a1c in Africa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtGRivhDRr8

2. Haplogroup L0a1 she has matches with individuals whose origins are from African countries. I match 197CM of autosomal DNA with this person.

West Africa
Guinea-Bissau 2(1) from the Beafada tribe which is estimated between 45,000-55,000 members.
https://joshuaproject.net/assets/med...tos/p10824.jpg

Ghana 1 from the Fante tribe

The following matches are either found along the Sahel trade route or near which runs across Africa from Senegal to Eritrea just south of the Saharan desert.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sahel

Ethiopia 4, Sudan 1, Chad 1,

These matches are found in Southern Africa

South Africa 1, Zimbabwe 1.

I bolded the match which indicates the region I think most plausible based on the known trade between the Azores, Cape Verde and Guinea-Bissau.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biafada_people

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biafada_language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 09:46 PM
AFP

@virulentpeach

I found a link that discusses the slave population on the island of Terceira in the Azores mid 1550's the records indicate that 51.55% were classified as Black, 11.34% as Moriscos(Moroccan Berbers), and 35% Mulatto believed to be a mix of Black, Morisco and a significant input from White men.

The paper is in Portuguese I don't know if you can read the language I apologize there are no English language sources for this type of information, it also states that most of the black Africans were from Guinea but some were also from the island of Sao Tome.

https://repositorio.uac.pt/bitstream...RDGregorio.pdf

Old 10-06-2015, 06:49 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
There was some movement but very limited between the Azores and Cape Verde mostly the purchase of slaves from Cape Verde it is well recorded that slaves were imported to the Azores from the Cape Verdean island of Santo Antao in 1548. The movement between Madeira and Azores was pretty much in one direction settlers from Madeira to the Azores.

I contacted my matches with sub-Saharan African maternal lineages they both responded to my questions both of their maternal lineages trace to my island of origin in the Azores. FTDNA at some point updated the match list and some people that previously showed as matches dropped off.

1. Hoplogroup L2a1c uncommon in West Africa her only match with Africa is from Mali at the HVR1 level meaning the common maternal ancestor has a 50% chance of being within the last 1,500 years. It is also possible her match has only tested at the HVR1 level. I match 36CM of autosomal DNA with this match.

Someone created an interesting video on the distribution of mtDNA L2a1c in Africa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtGRivhDRr8

2. Haplogroup L0a1 she has matches with individuals whose origins are from African countries. I match 197CM of autosomal DNA with this person.

West Africa
Guinea-Bissau 2(1) from the Beafada tribe which is estimated between 45,000-55,000 members.
https://joshuaproject.net/assets/med...tos/p10824.jpg

Ghana 1 from the Fante tribe

The following matches are either found along the Sahel trade route or near which runs across Africa from Senegal to Eritrea just south of the Saharan desert.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sahel

Ethiopia 4, Sudan 1, Chad 1,

These matches are found in Southern Africa

South Africa 1, Zimbabwe 1.

I bolded the match which indicates the region I think most plausible based on the known trade between the Azores, Cape Verde and Guinea-Bissau.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biafada_people

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biafada_language
I should have stated that #2 also has matches at the HVR1 level in various European countries, native Europeans not African immigrants which I found interesting.

UK 2
Denmark 1
Italy 10(2) Sicily
Spain 2
Portugal 2(2) Azores

Old 10-06-2015, 09:35 PM

9,489 posts, read 3,780,232 times
The "100%" refers to ancestry, doesn't it? ...as in 100% of your ancestors at a certain time in the past likely lived in Europe, or Africa, or Japan...

People like to point out that all humans share >99% of our DNA, as if that proves we are really all the same, forgetting that we also share >98% with orangutans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
Just to add to keep in context, it's good to remember that the DNA markers that they look at for ethnicity and even matching only makeup a small portion of our overall DNA, all humans share something like 99.9 percent of our DNA and the "100%" we all reference in these tests are just the 0.01% that is different. In fact it's probably a lot less considering the DNA tested and reported on are only the markers we know and identify... Not to suggest that it's more useful to think of 100% in the context of just the different DNA, but with all the talks of percentage of inherited DNA etc it's important to remember this context.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:51 PM

618 posts, read 2,486,122 times
Thank you for sharing those links -- very informative! I definitely think the African ancestry in Azores and Madeira is mostly shared with Cape Verde.

Have you tried the website DNA.Land?

Old 10-12-2015, 10:25 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
Thank you for sharing those links -- very informative! I definitely think the African ancestry in Azores and Madeira is mostly shared with Cape Verde.

Have you tried the website DNA.Land?
No I have never heard of them sounds really interesting are you participating?

Old 10-13-2015, 06:36 PM

881 posts, read 461,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The "100%" refers to ancestry, doesn't it? ...as in 100% of your ancestors at a certain time in the past likely lived in Europe, or Africa, or Japan...

People like to point out that all humans share >99% of our DNA, as if that proves we are really all the same, forgetting that we also share >98% with orangutans.
Yep. Even critters like spiders and praying mantises have 70-ish% of our DNA, and they're not even mammals. That DNA chain is looooong. More importantly it is highly redundant. What makes us unique are the incredibly subtle nuances.

To say that an Italian and an Irishman are genetically similar seems absurd to me. Sure they're probably 99.98% the same, but it's that 0.02% that truly matters.

So if a Celt and a Lombard are genetically distinct, how much more so are, say, a Pole and a Laotian? A Finn and a Somali? A Korean and a Guarani?

Old 10-14-2015, 11:43 AM

858 posts, read 748,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post

Actually the 100% doesn't quite refer to what you mention. Since autosomal DNA is inherited randomly it will not represent an even picture of your ancestry. Some DNA from certain ancestors beyond about 5 generations will not be represented at all.

The 100% is the very small percentage of autosomal DNA that you have that can in fact be different between people and inside of that they are the markers that research has identified as likely representative of a certain ethnic regional group.

The fact that we share so much with orangutans is not surprising at all, they are a very close evolutionary sibling. Though you are correct in that we share much DNA with most life on this planet (not surprising since we all evolved here together). The thing to remember is DNA is *huge*... it's 2.9 billion base pairs. 1% of that is still 20 million base pairs.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:17 PM

8,093 posts, read 4,448,863 times
see I have no african in mine.

Africa 0%

• Other Regions Tested
  • Cameroon/Congo 0%
  • Mali 0%
  • Nigeria 0%
  • Senegal 0%
  • Africa Southeastern Bantu 0%
  • Africa South-Central Hunter-Gatherers 0%
  • Africa North 0%
  • Ivory Coast/Ghana 0%
  • Benin/Togo 0%

America 0%

• Other Regions Tested
  • Native American 0%

Asia 0%

• Other Regions Tested
  • Asia Central 0%
  • Asia East 0%
  • Asia South 0%

Europe 98%

• Great Britain 68%
  • Ireland 16%
  • Scandinavia 8%
  • Trace Regions
    6%
  • Europe West 4%
  • Italy/Greece 1%
  • Finland/Northwest Russia 1%
  • Other Regions Tested
  • European Jewish 0%
  • Iberian Peninsula 0%
  • Europe East 0%

Pacific Islander 0%

• Other Regions Tested
  • Melanesia 0%
  • Polynesia 0%

West Asia 2%

• Trace Regions
    2%
  • Caucasus 1%
  • Middle East < 1%

Old 10-15-2015, 08:35 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
see I have no african in mine.

Africa 0%

• Other Regions Tested
  • Cameroon/Congo 0%
  • Mali 0%
  • Nigeria 0%
  • Senegal 0%
  • Africa Southeastern Bantu 0%
  • Africa South-Central Hunter-Gatherers 0%
  • Africa North 0%
  • Ivory Coast/Ghana 0%
  • Benin/Togo 0%

America 0%

• Other Regions Tested
  • Native American 0%

Asia 0%

• Other Regions Tested
  • Asia Central 0%
  • Asia East 0%
  • Asia South 0%

Europe 98%

• Great Britain 68%
  • Ireland 16%
  • Scandinavia 8%
  • Trace Regions
    6%
  • Europe West 4%
  • Italy/Greece 1%
  • Finland/Northwest Russia 1%
  • Other Regions Tested
  • European Jewish 0%
  • Iberian Peninsula 0%
  • Europe East 0%

Pacific Islander 0%

• Other Regions Tested
  • Melanesia 0%
  • Polynesia 0%

West Asia 2%

• Trace Regions
    2%
  • Caucasus 1%
  • Middle East < 1%
Are these results from ancestry.com? My results from FTDNA show 0% sub-Saharan African they surpress percentages less than 1%, FTDNA also surpesses the Ashkenazi diaspora for percentages less than 2%.

Have you downloaded your raw data to Gedmatch.com? Those calculators can pick up minor admixture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy