U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2015, 06:40 PM
AFP

6,063 posts, read 3,622,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicturtle View Post
ancestry tells you, based on your DNA where people with that heliotype have typically lived. Having something in Africa doesn't necessarily mean you have black ancestors, your people might have been colonizers or slave traders

This information is incorrect DNA with origins in Europe is not used in the Sub-Saharan cluster for comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 07:30 PM

393 posts, read 238,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
This information is incorrect DNA with origins in Europe is not used in the Sub-Saharan cluster for comparison.
Thank you for the correction.
If the site says you have 3% but Typical Native has 92% what exactly does that mean?

Old 11-28-2015, 07:43 PM
AFP

Quote:
Thank you for the correction.
If the site says you have 3% but Typical Native has 92% what exactly does that mean?
DNA with origins in West Africa is easy to distinguish from DNA from Europe what is more difficult is to distinguish from which part of Sub Saharan-Africa and which part of Europe to attribute the DNA to there is quite a bit of overlap within each continent. For example there are regions have a significant amount of genetic overlap such as Europe and some parts of the Middle East making it much more difficult hence the various companies will attribute different percentages.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
DNA with origins in West Africa is easy to distinguish from DNA from Europe what is more difficult is to distinguish from which part of Sub Saharan-Africa and which part of Europe to attribute the DNA to there is quite a bit of overlap within each continent. For example there are regions have a significant amount of genetic overlap such as Europe and some parts of the Middle East making it much more difficult hence the various companies will attribute different percentages.
It is very interesting to see how Gedmatch.com sorts the different admixtures too. I've come up as Mediterranean in large percentage and North Africa which doesn't surprise me, due to the historically Jewish surname on my mothers' side, I knew someone was running around what is now the middle east.

I am actually surprised if anyone doesn't have Africa in their DNA given the history of the world.

East_European 9.96%
West_European 38.75%
Mediterranean 19.58%
Neo_African 12.60%
West_Asian 6.98%
South_Asian 0.95%
Northeast_Asian 0.11%
Southeast_Asian 0.38%
East_African 1.68%
Southwest_Asian 1.63%
Northwest_African 1.08%
Palaeo_African 6.31%
Oracle
Oracle-4

Old 12-01-2015, 05:33 PM
AFP

Quote:
It is very interesting to see how Gedmatch.com sorts the different admixtures too. I've come up as Mediterranean in large percentage and North Africa which doesn't surprise me, due to the historically Jewish surname on my mothers' side, I knew someone was running around what is now the middle east.

I am actually surprised if anyone doesn't have Africa in their DNA given the history of the world.

East_European 9.96%
West_European 38.75%
Mediterranean 19.58%
Neo_African 12.60%
West_Asian 6.98%
South_Asian 0.95%
Northeast_Asian 0.11%
Southeast_Asian 0.38%
East_African 1.68%
Southwest_Asian 1.63%
Northwest_African 1.08%
Palaeo_African 6.31%
Oracle
Oracle-4
What company did you test with? I tested with FTDNA the family finder test didn't pick up Ashkenazi for me however they will be including a Sephardic diaspora reference population within a few months I was told by the company owner.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
What company did you test with? I tested with FTDNA the family finder test didn't pick up Ashkenazi for me however they will be including a Sephardic diaspora reference population within a few months I was told by the company owner.
this one is from ancestry.com and then I ran the admixture from Gedmatch. I did an mtDNA from family tree dna but can't figure it out for the life of me.

Old 12-05-2015, 04:43 AM
AFP

Quote:
this one is from ancestry.com and then I ran the admixture from Gedmatch. I did an mtDNA from family tree dna but can't figure it out for the life of me.
what is your mtDNA haplogroup? At what level did you test HVR1 or HVR1+HVR2 and did you test mtFull Sequence?

Old 12-09-2015, 09:28 PM

618 posts, read 2,485,178 times
There are new GEDmatch calculators out in case anyone wanted to know

Old 12-13-2015, 01:47 PM

4,690 posts, read 7,701,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Gulia View Post
Add me to the group of white Americans with hidden African ancestry. I am a pale, fair-skinned, green-eyed redhead, and never knew I had African ancestry. Although I had always thought it was a possibility as my family had been in the U.S. since colonial times during the entire slave trade. But I recently took the Ancestry.com DNA test and it showed I had 2% African ancestry, specifically Cameroon/Congo. I don't think it is noise as I got basically the same results of Sub-Saharan African ancestry within the 2% range on GedMatch. Plus, my aunt took the same Ancestry DNA test and she also had around the same amount of African Cameroon/Congo and also 1% Ivory Coast/Ghana. Like I said before, I had always suspected it, but the DNA tests confirmed it for me.
Your Sub-Saharan ancestry is only 2% is not significant at all and actually negligible. You are predominantly White/European.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
what is your mtDNA haplogroup? At what level did you test HVR1 or HVR1+HVR2 and did you test mtFull Sequence?
L3e2a1b
Wiki says East Africa and then across red sea to Arabia

I think I did do full sequence. I have a bunch of other numbers too but FT DNA doesn't go into a lot of detail and I have no idea how or if I can put it into GEDMATCH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy