U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2015, 09:36 AM

777 posts, read 792,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossover View Post
me thinks the op's grandpa was lying about being 'native' since sometimes people who were part black would lie about being 'native'
Yeah. That happened a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 01:12 AM

618 posts, read 2,485,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I have seen at least 50 peoples results on Gedmatch.com of people of 100% Portuguese ancestry from Continental Portugal, the Azores Islands and Madeira island and they all have some North African their Myorigins results for the North African component typically range from 4%-7%. Some have also tested with 23 & Me and across the board that company underestimates non-European admixture what I have noticed is that they underestimate the sub-Saharan African and North African by as much as 90% compared to Family Tree Dna and much less than what the various Gedmatch calculators show. Btw My mother has the 2% East African but is significantly lighter complected than my father and my daughter with her 1% West African admixture is green eyed with straight dark blonde hair and is light complected you can't see small percentages of sub-Saharan African admixture or North African. Myorigins doesn't pick up sub-Saharan African for my father and I but after uploading our raw DNA files to Gedmatch I was able to see that it was indeed present however at smaller percentages. Also I was able to very that the 2% East African attributed to my mother wasn't all East African much of it was West African however more was East. Autosomal DNA test results vary from company to company due in part to there being overlap in shared DNA between populations and each company delineates the populations using a different process.
My mother is half Polish and half Portuguese from Madeira, but her great-grandmother was Cape Verdean. She scores 0.5% West African on 23andme, 1% West African on FTDNA, anywhere from 1.8 to 4% combined Sub-Saharan African (i.e. a mixture of mostly West but also some Southern African) on various GEDmatch calculators, and DNA experts and geneticists have analyzed her 23andme raw data and agreed on an estimate of 3% West African DNA. The best match in modern Africa for this DNA is Senegal.

Even without Cape Verdean ancestry she'd probably still score some African, since of all the Madeiran results I have seen on 23andme, they do not go below 0.5% West African and some go as high as 5%. The island imported a number of slaves from the Senegambia region and eventually Bantu slaves from Angola and Mozambique, all of which assimilated into the predominantly European population starting in 1775 when the slave trade was abolished there.

I am sure some African does exist in the Azores also, though probably not as much. I'd be curious for you to tell me the high, low, and average for Sub-Saharan scores for Madeirans and which region in Africa it is associated with, since I know someone who refuses to accept that such ancestry exists and denies all of the evidence.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:06 AM

137 posts, read 89,151 times
Europeans are just a group of Albino Africans. Read the forbidden story removed from the bible of a man by the name of Yakub (Jacob) who invented White people.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:18 AM

3,055 posts, read 4,350,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viceversa View Post
Europeans are just a group of Albino Africans. Read the forbidden story removed from the bible of a man by the name of Yakub (Jacob) who invented White people.
That's the most ridiculous thing I've read in these forums in a long time. You obviously don't know anything about albinism or anthropology. As for you Nation of Islam racist fairy tale - lol.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:24 AM

36 posts, read 24,556 times
The Bible of Yakuv The Great sayth.

Beware of Balfegor Rozssenberg Aryianist that cast spells of those that she/it (as it might be an entity) consider not aapt for the universe of Krishna's Aryan Haplotype turning them into albinos.

She/it/he can adopt serveral personalities and is always luring in some international forums. According to its preach, those that are not Balfegorians Aryianist and do not follow the book The Bible of Yakiv won't live in paradise after the destruction of material esferatum.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:36 AM
AFP

6,063 posts, read 3,622,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
My mother is half Polish and half Portuguese from Madeira, but her great-grandmother was Cape Verdean. She scores 0.5% West African on 23andme, 1% West African on FTDNA, anywhere from 1.8 to 4% combined Sub-Saharan African (i.e. a mixture of mostly West but also some Southern African) on various GEDmatch calculators, and DNA experts and geneticists have analyzed her 23andme raw data and agreed on an estimate of 3% West African DNA. The best match in modern Africa for this DNA is Senegal.

Even without Cape Verdean ancestry she'd probably still score some African, since of all the Madeiran results I have seen on 23andme, they do not go below 0.5% West African and some go as high as 5%. The island imported a number of slaves from the Senegambia region and eventually Bantu slaves from Angola and Mozambique, all of which assimilated into the predominantly European population starting in 1775 when the slave trade was abolished there.

I am sure some African does exist in the Azores also, though probably not as much. I'd be curious for you to tell me the high, low, and average for Sub-Saharan scores for Madeirans and which region in Africa it is associated with, since I know someone who refuses to accept that such ancestry exists and denies all of the evidence.
I'm not familiar with the a(DNA) percentages for Madeirans that population has been studied much less than the Azoreans all I can tell you regarding Madeira is that the mtDNA average percentage per one academic study was I believe 13% which is much higher than the Azores average of 3.2% with variations the autosomal percentages will be much lower. The sub-Saharan African admixture is almost entirely exclusive coming from the maternal side on 3 samples of paternal lineages from sub-Saharan African origin has been confirmed out of thousands tested for Portugal. I did take a look at my Family Tree Dna myOrigins(Shared Origns) matches these being my strongest matches I think they are all 100% Portuguese with origins in the Azores this is what I found 43% at 0%(I believe the cutoff is 0.5%), 7% at 1%, 43% at 2% and 7% at 3% there weren't any higher than 3% with the average being slightly over 1%.

Regarding the source of slavery to Cape Verde, Sao Tome and Principe, the Azores and Madeira in general I think the Mandinka, Yoruba, tribes were significant sources not so much the Bantu tribes from Angola and Mozambique.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the a(DNA) percentages for Madeirans that population has been studied much less than the Azoreans all I can tell you regarding Madeira is that the mtDNA average percentage per one academic study was I believe 13% which is much higher than the Azores average of 3.2% with variations the autosomal percentages will be much lower. The sub-Saharan African admixture is almost entirely exclusive coming from the maternal side on 3 samples of paternal lineages from sub-Saharan African origin has been confirmed out of thousands tested for Portugal. I did take a look at my Family Tree Dna myOrigins(Shared Origns) matches these being my strongest matches I think they are all 100% Portuguese with origins in the Azores this is what I found 43% at 0%(I believe the cutoff is 0.5%), 7% at 1%, 43% at 2% and 7% at 3% there weren't any higher than 3% with the average being slightly over 1%.

Regarding the source of slavery to Cape Verde, Sao Tome and Principe, the Azores and Madeira in general I think the Mandinka, Yoruba, tribes were significant sources not so much the Bantu tribes from Angola and Mozambique.
Mainland Portuguese also do not have autosomal Sub-Saharan ancestry except in rare circumstances, so in our case our African ancestry does seem to be more recent than most. So it is most likely then that my African ancestor(s) came from Senegal, Gambia, Guinea etc. and not so much from anywhere south or east of Nigeria?

FTDNA I think rounds up and down, so anything from 0-0.5% will not show, 0.5-1% goes up to 1%, 1-1.5% also is at 1% etc.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:21 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,729,508 times
All im getting out of this thread is that white people obesses over being just a little bit not white (white meaning western and northern european only). Are you really that obsessed because there is no diversity in europe or are you racist and believe that being a little bit of another race means you aren't a pure breed?

Old 09-12-2015, 05:28 PM
AFP

6,063 posts, read 3,622,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
Mainland Portuguese also do not have autosomal Sub-Saharan ancestry except in rare circumstances, so in our case our African ancestry does seem to be more recent than most. So it is most likely then that my African ancestor(s) came from Senegal, Gambia, Guinea etc. and not so much from anywhere south or east of Nigeria?

FTDNA I think rounds up and down, so anything from 0-0.5% will not show, 0.5-1% goes up to 1%, 1-1.5% also is at 1% etc.
The majority of the African admixture is likely from West Africa and was absorbed into the population after the 15th century, however I am also finding that in some individuals there is a greater percentage of East African I think most was absorbed at an earlier period Portugal did absorb some DNA from the Berbers, Arabs, and Sephardic Jews(all European and Middle Eastern Jewish populations carry between 3%-5% sub-Saharan African DNA estimated to have been absorbed approx. 2,000 years ago mostly East African). When the rare SNP utility was up and running on Gedmatch.com over a year ago the African populations that I personally shared rare SNP's with were Eritirea and Cameroon. I had no matches with Senegambia however one of my matches whose mtDNA is L2 did have mtDNA matches in West Africa particularly Mali where the Mandinka orignially hail from and all of her matches were found in West African countries where members of that tribe are currently found. I show as 0% sub-Saharan African on myOrigins my percentage is less than 0.5%. I believe the Fula tribe was also a source of slavery for Cape Verde.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
The majority of the African admixture is likely from West Africa and was absorbed into the population after the 15th century, however I am also finding that in some individuals there is a greater percentage of East African I think most was absorbed at an earlier period Portugal did absorb some DNA from the Berbers, Arabs, and Sephardic Jews(all European and Middle Eastern Jewish populations carry between 3%-5% sub-Saharan African DNA estimated to have been absorbed approx. 2,000 years ago mostly East African). When the rare SNP utility was up and running on Gedmatch.com over a year ago the African populations that I personally shared rare SNP's with were Eritirea and Cameroon. I had no matches with Senegambia however one of my matches whose mtDNA is L2 did have mtDNA matches in West Africa particularly Mali where the Mandinka orignially hail from and all of her matches were found in West African countries where members of that tribe are currently found. I show as 0% sub-Saharan African on myOrigins my percentage is less than 0.5%. I believe the Fula tribe was also a source of slavery for Cape Verde.
African in Jews is mostly ancient East African and is shared with all Middle Easterners. It is not even known if the people who contributed this ancestry to them looked "black" in the modern sense.

If you want to see mine or my mom's GEDMatch scores or FTDNA or any other and you can try to determine which African region you think it links to, I can send them to you via message. Professor Doug McDonald who analyzes some people's DNA said Mandenka was my best match at 1.6% of my DNA (which puts my mother at over 3%) but not all estimates go that high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy