Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 12:33 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,892,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
23 & Me consistently underestimates admixture percentages compared to Family Tree Dna Upload your file to Gedmatch.com I guarantee you you will see the North African. It's not a load of crap it has been heavily studied and is verifiable in academic studies that are peer reviewed by scientists and have been repeated many times. Having admixture isn't anything to be ashamed of. But you are correct the Portuguese and Spaniards don't have high percentages of Berber admixture and the sub-Saharan African admixture is entirely from maternal lineages they vast majority a result of the slave trade after the 15th Century.

These are the myorigins results from FTDNA for me and various family members of mine quite typical of what I have seen for Portuguese people we are all 100% Portuguese.

My Result

69% Southern Europe
15% Scandinavia
12% British Isles
05% North Africa

My fathers Results

80% Southern Europe
08% British Isles
06% Scandinavia
05% North Africa

My Mothers Results

67% Southern Europe
23% Western and Central Europe
03% Eastern Europe
05% North Africa
02% East Central Africa

My Daughters Results

55% Southern Europe
29% Western and Central Europe
09% British Isles
05% North Africa
02% Eastern Middle East
01% West Africa

I have seen at least 50 peoples results on Gedmatch.com of people of 100% Portuguese ancestry from Continental Portugal, the Azores Islands and Madeira island and they all have some North African their Myorigins results for the North African component typically range from 4%-7%. Some have also tested with 23 & Me and across the board that company underestimates non-European admixture what I have noticed is that they underestimate the sub-Saharan African and North African by as much as 90% compared to Family Tree Dna and much less than what the various Gedmatch calculators show. Btw My mother has the 2% East African but is significantly lighter complected than my father and my daughter with her 1% West African admixture is green eyed with straight dark blonde hair and is light complected you can't see small percentages of sub-Saharan African admixture or North African. Myorigins doesn't pick up sub-Saharan African for my father and I but after uploading our raw DNA files to Gedmatch I was able to see that it was indeed present however at smaller percentages. Also I was able to very that the 2% East African attributed to my mother wasn't all East African much of it was West African however more was East. Autosomal DNA test results vary from company to company due in part to there being overlap in shared DNA between populations and each company delineates the populations using a different process.
Interesting update I tested my daughters mtDNA(direct maternal line) HVR1 & HVR2 and the result came back L2 an African haplogroup. In addition we have an exact match from an individual whose maternal lineage traces back to the same exact village in the Azores islands luckily this person has tested at the FMS level(which is more in depth) her halplogroup is L2a1c.

The attached link to an academic study indicates in figure 2a that L2a possibly originated in West Africa and is most frequently found it appears in Ghana. My daughter does have 8 matches in Ghana at the HVR1 in Ghana indicating a common ancestor is likely 50% within the last 1,500 years. Out of a total of 273 samples 8 are related to my daughter 2.9%. With the breakdown showing.
(1) Akan
(1)Ashanti
(1)Efutu
(1)Ewe
(1)Fante
(3)Ga

The other West African matches were much more dispersed. However based on my research the two bolded are the most likely communities this maternal ancestor lived in I can trace this line to about 1720 on paper through church marriage records and suspect the African ancestor arrived in the Azores possibly possibly as early as 1506 when the parish was established. I think that this ancestor contributed part of my daughter 1% West African DNA per Family Tree DNA's MyOrigins test but certainly not the entire amount in addition when I utilize the Gedmatch calculators a substantial amount of the DNA being classified West African is East African but the West African is certainly swallowing that up because there is more of it.

(1) Guinea-Bissau, Balanta tribe
(1) Mali

(1) Senegal
(1) Sierra Leone, Mende tribe
(1) Togo
Figure 2: Frequency distribution maps for mtDNA haplogroup L2. : Scientific Reports
60,000 years of interactions between Central and Eastern Africa documented by major African mitochondrial haplogroup L2 : Scientific Reports

Last edited by AFP; 01-09-2016 at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 01:16 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikamoixton View Post
Three percent subsaharan is enough to be a full African due to the strenght of those genes.
So you think someone with three percent sub Saharan African ancestry is enough to be a full African because of the strenght of those genes. What exactly are you basing this opinion on?

Old 01-12-2016, 04:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
I'm 3 percent Neanderthal. I guess I ought to start identifying as such.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:39 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,926,138 times
Quote:
So you think someone with three percent sub Saharan African ancestry is enough to be a full African because of the strenght of those genes. What exactly are you basing this opinion on?
One drop rule moronic nonsense. I just got my ancestry analyzed by AncestryDNA and I'm 5% Senegalese less than 1% Malian. Yet if I start to identify as African everybody would laugh at me. Me being mixed Japanese is far more believable than African since I'm a whooping 15% Native American, far more than the average American who claims to be part "Cherokee"

I'm starting to think most white Americams that claim Native American are actually sub-Saharan but their parents or grandparents were/are in denial about it

Old 01-14-2016, 08:33 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed;42631611 [B
One drop rule moronic nonsense.[/b] I just got my ancestry analyzed by AncestryDNA and I'm 5% Senegalese less than 1% Malian. Yet if I start to identify as African everybody would laugh at me. Me being mixed Japanese is far more believable than African since I'm a whooping 15% Native American, far more than the average American who claims to be part "Cherokee"

I'm starting to think most white Americams that claim Native American are actually sub-Saharan but their parents or grandparents were/are in denial about it
Not only that some want to impose retroactively that stupid moronic nonsense on individuals from other cultures.

I like that AncestryDNA beaks down the West African.

Have you uploaded to Gedmatch.com?

Old 01-14-2016, 10:34 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,926,138 times
Quote:
Not only that some want to impose retroactively that stupid moronic nonsense on individuals from other cultures.

I like that AncestryDNA beaks down the West African.

Have you uploaded to Gedmatch.com?
I haven't. What is Gedmatch? I skim read about it and it further breaks down your ancestry data or something? Because AncestryDNA isn't super exact of where one's genes come from, just a general region. I was very surprised that Ancestry points out I have Portuguese ancestry from all around Portugal except the south coast and the islands, and not so much Galician, in me, among other interesting facts.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:23 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I haven't. What is Gedmatch? I skim read about it and it further breaks down your ancestry data or something? Because AncestryDNA isn't super exact of where one's genes come from, just a general region. I was very surprised that Ancestry points out I have Portuguese ancestry from all around Portugal except the south coast and the islands, and not so much Galician, in me, among other interesting facts.
Gedmatch is a free site with various utilities in which you can upload your raw autosomal DNA data to.

This link gives you some basic data on it.

Gedmatch: a DNA geek

The DNA from the regions that border northern Portugal and southern Galicia is fairly indistinguishable. Portuguese people settled in Puerto Rico during the Iberian Union.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:45 AM

3 posts, read 4,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Small percentages mean more distant ancestry. If we're looking for the ancestor who was "entirely" one race, then yes it can be generalized to, say, a 4 greats grand parent, though it may have been a bit less neat than that.
Most of the time, that small percentage is not concentrated on one ancestor but rather nearly all ancestors have a little bit of it, some more than others

Old 03-03-2023, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 454 times
lol to listen to you, the black blood present in Europe is exclusively due to slavery when not at all. Do not forget that already in Greece there were coins minted with the effigy of blacks. European families such as Morel in France or Diaz in Portugal or Pucci in Italy also have black heads as their family coat of arms

Old 03-03-2023, 12:37 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,303,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibo View Post
lol to listen to you, the black blood present in Europe is exclusively due to slavery when not at all. Do not forget that already in Greece there were coins minted with the effigy of blacks. European families such as Morel in France or Diaz in Portugal or Pucci in Italy also have black heads as their family coat of arms
Those percentages of black blood would not be from ancient sources. Clearly you do not understand DNA inheritance percentages in autosomal DNA.

The quantity of Sub-Saharan African DNA matches with a fully Sub-Saharan African ancestor about 150-350 years ago. So yeah any person of European descent could have distant African ancestry that trickled into Europe (we're all African if you go back far enough too), but this would not show up in segment sizes like this in autosomal DNA.

Now if we're talking individual markers or haplogroups that would signify ancient DNA that could come from an ancient source. This is not the case and clearly you either missed that or don't understand the types of DNA and ages of estimation of sources of those types of DNA.

Last edited by Alandros; 03-03-2023 at 12:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy