Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 08:24 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I would think what really matters is that Victoria was certainly as culturally English as one could want, and her consort reached the point of being almost more English than the English. The monarchs since Victoria were culturally English as well. Mary of Teck's family had essentially dumped their German cultural heritage and become English. And even the ever-charming Prince Phillip has been as much Brit as anything since his youth, he has been in the British navy since 1939.
This.

Sort of like Germans here in the US. Ancestery was German, somecases from back in the 1700s, but by now as American as can be. Which is interesting since the Germans came to the throne in the 1700s, too, with George I.

The first two Georges (I and II) pretty much culturally German. George III was perhaps a little of both, but indentified with England most. But his son was (the Regent, later George IV) was I think culturally English trhough and through....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 09:01 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Chinese emperor you say? Can you explain that? I find that to be far fetched for some reason.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:00 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
They are getting more British with every generation. Prince George is mostly English.
With the ability to marry non royals I think this will continue. They are being seen more as a national icon over part of an international one.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:33 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
With the ability to marry non royals I think this will continue. They are being seen more as a national icon over part of an international one.
There is no problem with marrying non-royals.

Mary of Teck wasn't, nor the Queen Mother, nor Diana Spencer. Henry VIII only managed two royals among his many spouses, Catherine of Aragon and Anne of Cleves.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:23 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
There is no problem with marrying non-royals.

Mary of Teck wasn't, nor the Queen Mother, nor Diana Spencer. Henry VIII only managed two royals among his many spouses, Catherine of Aragon and Anne of Cleves.
The difference today is the political ties have been severed. There is no Kaiser or Tsar so you don't have to consider the political ties. There was a time when that did matter and tying the royalty of the major nations was considered a good thing. And Princes and Princessess were there to marry who they were told to, as well as those of 'lesser' royalty. That time is past. Realistically, few non-royals married into the very top, and most were of some sort of nobility. Diana had ties of nobility if not royalty. Kate has coal miners as ancestors and in the past would not have been permitted.

And I think perhaps the lesson was learned with Camilla. Charles loved her and wanted to marry her before he was forced to marry Diana. It didn't turn out well. Perhaps they didn't want to make that same mistake again.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:19 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
They are getting more British with every generation. Prince George is mostly English.
You're probably right. His mother is English. His father's mother was an aristocrat, but more English than anything else, most likely. Maybe George is only a quarter or so German.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:55 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
The difference today is the political ties have been severed. There is no Kaiser or Tsar so you don't have to consider the political ties. There was a time when that did matter and tying the royalty of the major nations was considered a good thing. And Princes and Princessess were there to marry who they were told to, as well as those of 'lesser' royalty. That time is past. Realistically, few non-royals married into the very top, and most were of some sort of nobility. Diana had ties of nobility if not royalty. Kate has coal miners as ancestors and in the past would not have been permitted.

And I think perhaps the lesson was learned with Camilla. Charles loved her and wanted to marry her before he was forced to marry Diana. It didn't turn out well. Perhaps they didn't want to make that same mistake again.
I think this was very evident in this latest royal marriage. Kate and William have a much better chance to stay together than William's parents ever had. Charles was essentially an experienced 40-year-old man who was more or less forced to marry an innocent girl of 20 or 21 whose only assets were her virginity and her family background. Charles' interest ran to horses and historic preservation. Diana's to fashion. If it hadn't been a royal marriage, it probably would have lasted six months.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:09 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Charles wasn't forced. He married a hot babe. His relative Lord Mountbatten had recommended he marry someone young and inexperienced to insure a stable marriage. We know the rest is history. As for Camilla, she is obviously the woman he's crazy about. But she married another man while he was at sea because, get this, she wanted to avoid the notoriety of marrying the Prince of Wales.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:38 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Default It is true of almost everyone if you knew enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Chinese emperor you say? Can you explain that? I find that to be far fetched for some reason.
Emperor Suzong of the Tang Dynasty had a daughter that married an Uighur Prince, His daughter married someone from Tabaristan, so in two generations they were south of the Caspian sea and north of present day Tehren,

Within 15 generations descendants were Guy d'Ibelin
 and Alix d'Ibelin married Hugh de Lusignan. This was one of the Crusader Kingdoms in the early 14th century.

Four more generations until a daughter married Peter of Luxembourg, Count of Saint-Pol.

His son Louis and his son Peter and his son Peter II Marie
Antoinette married Claude, Duke of Guise

Claude's daughter Mary of Guise who rejected the offer of marriage from Henry VIII and instead married James V of Scotland
 who son was James VI
 of Scotland and James I of England.

His daughter was Elizabeth who married Frederick V of Bavaria. Their daughter was 
Sophia who married Ernst Augustus, Elector of Hanover and was named the source of all future monarchs of Britain in 1701.

Sophie died only a few weeks before she was due to become Queen, so her oldest son became King George I.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:36 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
In 1701, the Catholic great grandson of King James I, James Francis Edward Stuart, who had been made Prince of Wales at age one month, but grew up in France was age 13. It was apparent that when his cousin Queen Anne died, that he would be in his 20's and old enough to try and reclaim the throne.

So parliament voted in secret when the representatives from Northern England were not available (who were mostly Catholic). They selected the last living grandchild of King James I and her heirs to become the new bloodline for the monarchs. But she had been born 5 years after her grandfather died, and was in her 70's and had been raised as a German.

Elizabeth, Princess of England, daughter of King James I
- Heinrich-Friedrich, 1614 -1629
- Karl I Ludwig, 1617-1680
- Elisabeth, 1618- 1680
- Rupert, 1619-1682
- Maurice, 1620 -1654
- Ludwig, 1623- 1623
- Eduard, 1625- 1663
- Henrietta Maria 1626-1651
- Philipp, 1627-1650
- Charlotte 1628-1631
- Sophie 1630 -8 June 1714
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy