U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 04:13 PM
 
14,529 posts, read 7,186,551 times
Reputation: 7485

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKite View Post
I disagree, My DNA results are that I'm 75% African, and 22% European and I do consider myself European versus Black/African-American since I can trace my lineage to European immigrants. I have no known linage to Africa, my most recent country of origins are European countries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKite View Post
My African percentage doesn't matter, what difference does it make if I'm 40% African or 80% African?Majority percentages don't represent where you come from originally. Also what do African-Americans have to do with me and my results? I come from Portuguese immigrants so that definitely means I'm African-American since that is the lineage that is the most significant. My ancestors came from Portugal, so that's where I come from originally, my family history, and my heritage so I'm Portuguese or Luso-American because Portugal s where I come from (ancestry-wise) being 75%African doesn't change that or represent anything, it say I'm 1.3% Iberian but that doesn't mean that's how much Portuguese ancestry I have, so percentages shouldn't matte neither does physical appearances which I look very similar to Eddie Murphy or Wesley Snipes skin complexion. I'm learning about my Portuguese history and the language of my homeland.
On these - are your parents or were you yourself born in Portugal?

I know that there actually are black people who live in Portugal due to Portugal basically being the first European nation who were heavily involved in the Trans Atlantic Slave Trade and they often brought Africans back to Portugal to be servants/slaves as well.


If your parentage (and great grand-parentage) are from America, then I'm going to be honest and say it's weird of you to say that you are Portuguese and not claim to be a black American.

Note, I'm less African percentage-wise than you are - I am 72% African, and I claim to be a black American, not African American (because I am not culturally an African - I am culturally a black American).

I agree you are a typical black American percentage-wise all of us are multi-ethnic, which is another reason why I don't say I am an African American.

I'd wonder why you have an issue with claiming your African ancestors. If you have a long history in America (like myself - I have ancestors here from the 17th century both European and African and indigenous) then the reason why you don't know the African nations/tribes of origin is because there are no records of it because you have been a black American for such a long amount of time genealogically.

Note not meaning to be snippy or anything, just curious about why you don't want to claim African ancestry. I come across this sometimes (though rarely) in black genealogical forums/social media pages and no one ever really has a clear answer as to why they want to deny their African ancestry when they are majority African.

ETA: I will note that I disagree on the "percentages don't indicate where you come from originally." If the majority of your percentages are from Africa or Europe or Asia, etc., then that means over the past 500 years the majority of your ancestors came from that particular continent - in your case from Africa. I'll also note that everyone is originally from Africa since that is where humanity began.

 
Old Today, 04:18 PM
 
14,529 posts, read 7,186,551 times
Reputation: 7485
Note, just saw your other post where you indicated your mother is where the Portuguese comes in.

Why do you deny the ancestry of your father entirely? And have you done any genealogical research on your father's family history? I'll note from your percentages, I'd also think your mother was half black. It is very strange for someone with a majority of African ancestry to deny their African heritage based on not knowing a country.

I am wondering if you've ever attempted to trace your black side of the family. Initially upon seeing your post, I was wondering if you were connected to some free people of color (FPOC) who claim to be Portuguese and/or Native American. There are specific communities who are descendants of FPOC who do this and if you are a descendant of some of those people then you can probably find more about them than you'd think.

I'll also note that the only ancestors I have that I have traced to another continent were/are English, Irish, and Scottish. One of my great grandmothers actually has a Scottish surname as a maiden name and she is descendant of a man who married a "mullatto" woman in the late 1600s who was stated to have been half African and half indigenous American. None of our family members who still carry the name claim to be Scottish - they claim to be black even though they are, percentage-wise less black than you are (most of them are only 20-30% African - those who have tested). This is primarily due to the fact that they/we are very heavily connected to our cultural background. Our mixed-race ancestors actually lived in a community and were active in the Underground Railroad in Ohio and Indiana. We don't know where the African ancestors came from but it was important to our 18th and 19th century ancestors to advocate for the rights of all black people in this nation. They also founded schools and churches for black people and in many ways, they along with other "free colored" people who identified as black created black American culture in this nation around the same time that the nation itself was founded. So it is always interesting to me, to see other people's reasons for disregarding their black American heritage, since it is such a close and personal story/history for our demographic on the whole.

I'll also note that I have always admired Irish and Scottish culture, language, literature, etc. I am planning on visiting both countries, but I'd never claim to be Irish or Scottish or English (I actually have very recent English ancestry IMO from the 1880s). I also plan on visiting England but I wouldn't claim to be English because of the breadth, depth, and inspirational nature that is very close to me as a black American.

I'm lead to believe that those who chose to not acknowledge their blackness that maybe they just are unaware of our cultural history or don't see any value in it. Same way, that it is often puzzling to me that a lot of white people who find out they are Irish or Scottish or French, they are upset about being "so white." I've seen that a lot in genealogical forums as well - mostly from people of Nordic and English ancestry, which is always odd to me because both of those regions have a long and fascinating culture and history IMO.

Last edited by residinghere2007; Today at 04:33 PM..
 
Old Today, 04:25 PM
 
37 posts, read 84 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On these - are your parents or were you yourself born in Portugal?

I know that there actually are black people who live in Portugal due to Portugal basically being the first European nation who were heavily involved in the Trans Atlantic Slave Trade and they often brought Africans back to Portugal to be servants/slaves as well.


If your parentage (and great grand-parentage) are from America, then I'm going to be honest and say it's weird of you to say that you are Portuguese and not claim to be a black American.

Note, I'm less African percentage-wise than you are - I am 72% African, and I claim to be a black American, not African American (because I am not culturally an African - I am culturally a black American).

I agree you are a typical black American percentage-wise all of us are multi-ethnic, which is another reason why I don't say I am an African American.

I'd wonder why you have an issue with claiming your African ancestors. If you have a long history in America (like myself - I have ancestors here from the 17th century both European and African and indigenous) then the reason why you don't know the African nations/tribes of origin is because there are no records of it because you have been a black American for such a long amount of time genealogically.

Note not meaning to be snippy or anything, just curious about why you don't want to claim African ancestry. I come across this sometimes (though rarely) in black genealogical forums/social media pages and no one ever really has a clear answer as to why they want to deny their African ancestry when they are majority African.

ETA: I will note that I disagree on the "percentages don't indicate where you come from originally." If the majority of your percentages are from Africa or Europe or Asia, etc., then that means over the past 500 years the majority of your ancestors came from that particular continent - in your case from Africa. I'll also note that everyone is originally from Africa since that is where humanity began.

I don't have an issue with African ancestors, I just don't need to claim them. My Portuguese ancestors are the relatives that are the most important and that matter the most and make who i am. Having a majority African percentage doesn't mean that's what i am or that's where i come from over other places.The majority of your ancestors coming from a location doesn't mean they represent where you come from. So having a majority percentage doesn't mean they are what you are more. Also I come from Portuguese immigrants who came way after slavery so they are my history and where I come from. So I'm definitely Portuguese-American versus African-American. Having a majority African percentage doesn't mean it's what I a more than the others or that's where I come from. 75% African doesn't mean that's what I am over my other ancestries. Portugal is where I come from and My Portuguese great-great grandfather is way more important and significant than my paternal African-American grandparents and ancestors. My Portuguese history is what matters versus African-American history so it has nothing to do with anything. Since I'm Portuguese-American and come from immigrants from Portugal then I'm not African-American or the same race/ethnicity as African-Americans. I'm mixed-race but Portugal is definitely my homeland

Last edited by AzureKite; Today at 04:37 PM..
 
Old Today, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,317 posts, read 568,773 times
Reputation: 7148
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKite View Post
I don't have an issue with African ancestors, I just don't need to claim them. My Portuguese ancestors are the relatives that are the most important and that matter the most and make who i am. Having a majority African percentage doesn't mean that's what i am or that's where i come from over other places.The majority of your ancestors coming from a location doesn't mean they represent where you come from. So having a majority percentage doesn't mean they are what you are more. Also I come from Portuguese immigrants who came way after slavery so they are my history and where I come from. So I'm definitely Portuguese-American versus African-American. Having a majority African percentage doesn't mean it's what I a more than the others or that's where I come from. 75% African doesn't mean that's what I am over my other ancestries. Portugal is where I come from and My Portuguese great-great grandfather is way more important and significant than my paternal African-American grandparents and ancestors. My Portuguese history is what matters versus African-American history so it has nothing to do with anything. Since I'm Portuguese-American and come from immigrants from Portugal then I'm not African-American or the same race/ethnicity as African-Americans. I'm mixed-race but Portugal is definitely my homeland
It should be obvious by now that there is no point in arguing with this guy. He's dug in.
 
Old Today, 04:43 PM
 
37 posts, read 84 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
It should be obvious by now that there is no point in arguing with this guy. He's dug in.
I enjoy hearing people's point of view. I already stated my ethnicity, and what I am so you really can't argue about what someone is. But i welcome everyone's point of view
 
Old Today, 04:44 PM
 
14,529 posts, read 7,186,551 times
Reputation: 7485
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKite View Post
The majority of your ancestors coming from a location doesn't mean they represent where you come from. So having a majority percentage doesn't mean they are what you are more. Also I come from Portuguese immigrants who came way after slavery so they are my history and where I come from. So I'm definitely Portuguese-American versus African-American. Having a majority African percentage doesn't mean it's what I a more than the others or that's where I come from. 75% African doesn't mean that's what I am over my other ancestries. Portugal is where I come from and My Portuguese great-great grandfather is way more important and significant than my paternal African-American grandparents and ancestors. My Portuguese history is what matters versus African-American history so it has nothing to do with anything. Since I'm Portuguese-American and come from immigrants from Portugal then I'm not African-American or the same race/ethnicity as African-Americans. I'm mixed-race but Portugal is definitely my homeland
But why does the Portuguese matter more than the black history when you are mostly black?

That is what I'm getting at.

I posted another comment above as I wonder if you actually have looked into your black/African American history or if you just disregard it because you just don't care about it.

As noted above - I've found out a lot about my black/African American ancestry and our culture as a people. I'd personally feel that I am disrespecting the struggle, legacy, and strength of my ancestors - their determination that I have a better life than they did - by ignoring them.

It seems as if you are totally ignoring the African side and I'm just wondering if there is a reason for it or if like you said above, it just doesn't matter to you.

I'll note, that I don't believe in "race" from a biological standpoint. However, you being 75% of African heritage does mean we are of the same ethnic origins - we are primarily African ancestored.

I'd also note that your homeland since you and your parents, grandparents, and great grandparents is technically the USA.

You are a black person with Portuguese ancestry. I'm a black person with English, Irish, Scottish, Norwegian, French, African, and South Asian ancestry. I am all of those things, but I'm still a black American since I'm black (and by all accounts you are even blacker than me from your description!) and I'm from America for many generations back.

95% of black Americans are multi-ethnic in our backgrounds. Again, I'm just curious about the total ignoring of African ancestry and especially of black American culture. I'm wondering if you are aware of anything in regards to your black cultural background considering it seems you have a black father and your mother is half black so you are ignoring 75% of your ancestry (which is interesting being that that is your percentage as well). It seems rather disrespectful of your ancestors.

Even though I know where my Scottish, Irish, and English ancestors were from in those countries, I don't view them as more important in the history of my family than my black ancestors. I'm wondering if you see your Portuguese ancestry as more important. And note, I've heavily researched my European and indigenous American ancestry because I was curious about them and as noted I especially always have loved Irish culture and literature (I was an English major in college and we covered a lot of Irish literature in particular which gave me a fondness for Ireland in my heart). But it just seems like a huge slight to ignore a majority of one's ancestry and totally disregard the fact that without them, you wouldn't be here.
 
Old Today, 04:54 PM
 
37 posts, read 84 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
But why does the Portuguese matter more than the black history when you are mostly black?

That is what I'm getting at.

I posted another comment above as I wonder if you actually have looked into your black/African American history or if you just disregard it because you just don't care about it.

As noted above - I've found out a lot about my black/African American ancestry and our culture as a people. I'd personally feel that I am disrespecting the struggle, legacy, and strength of my ancestors - their determination that I have a better life than they did - by ignoring them.

It seems as if you are totally ignoring the African side and I'm just wondering if there is a reason for it or if like you said above, it just doesn't matter to you.

I'll note, that I don't believe in "race" from a biological standpoint. However, you being 75% of African heritage does mean we are of the same ethnic origins - we are primarily African ancestored.

I'd also note that your homeland since you and your parents, grandparents, and great grandparents is technically the USA.

You are a black person with Portuguese ancestry. I'm a black person with English, Irish, Scottish, Norwegian, French, African, and South Asian ancestry. I am all of those things, but I'm still a black American since I'm black (and by all accounts you are even blacker than me from your description!) and I'm from America for many generations back.

95% of black Americans are multi-ethnic in our backgrounds. Again, I'm just curious about the total ignoring of African ancestry and especially of black American culture. I'm wondering if you are aware of anything in regards to your black cultural background considering it seems you have a black father and your mother is half black so you are ignoring 75% of your ancestry (which is interesting being that that is your percentage as well). It seems rather disrespectful of your ancestors.

Even though I know where my Scottish, Irish, and English ancestors were from in those countries, I don't view them as more important in the history of my family than my black ancestors. I'm wondering if you see your Portuguese ancestry as more important. And note, I've heavily researched my European and indigenous American ancestry because I was curious about them and as noted I especially always have loved Irish culture and literature (I was an English major in college and we covered a lot of Irish literature in particular which gave me a fondness for Ireland in my heart). But it just seems like a huge slight to ignore a majority of one's ancestry and totally disregard the fact that without them, you wouldn't be here.
because majority percentages don't necessarily determine what you are where you come from. Also being 75%African doesn't make me you, and African-Americans of the same ethnic origin because 75% African doesn't represent my main origins or the origins that matter the most. I can trace my ethnic origins to Portugal so were not the same race/ethnicity so since I have Portuguese ancestry so I have a different ethnic origin from you. the 75%African doesn't represent my ethnic origins over Portugal, because DNA percentages don't matter or determine what I am. So I'm Portuguese-American or mixed-race/mulatto versus Black-American because that is the ancestry that matters the most. Also I'm more likely related to Ronaldo than you. Portuguese immigrants who came started their own business, etc matter more than ones who were enslaves, and their is nothing wrong with that. The ancestors that represent me and where I come from our my Portuguese ancestors. Physically I look 100% African but I'm of Portuguese decent(my great-great grandfather,etc), so I'm Portuguese-American, so they are my history
 
Old Today, 05:05 PM
 
14,529 posts, read 7,186,551 times
Reputation: 7485
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
It should be obvious by now that there is no point in arguing with this guy. He's dug in.
LOL, wasn't trying to argue, just was curious.

I have my own theories and didn't want to state them because often people get offended by them (black people who hold these ideas get offended).

But I just wondered (hopefully) if the poster is just going to focus on exploring this part of their ancestry and maybe move on to others in the future. Sometimes that is the case. I did feel very connected to my European ancestry when I focused a lot on those lines.

I feel very connected to my indigenous ancestry as well when I focus on those lines.

But I do have a special affinity for my black ancestry because it makes up the bulk of my ethnic origins (similar to this poster). Because of it being my majority, I've heavily researched black American history and culture from a genealogical and local history perspective based on where my ancestors lived. Every time I focus on a new group of ancestors, I am typically blown away by how inspirational of a story they have and so I feel sorry for this poster for them totally disregarding such an inspiring legacy.

I'll note that I personally feel that people who do this sort of thing (deny their black ancestry) they are heavily invested in a black inferiority mindset whereas they do not view blackness or Africa from any sort of positive perspective. IMO it is a throwback into 19th century style white supremacy worldviews. Non-black people do not realize that this sort of worldview heavily impacted black people in this nation and it still is a pervasive view whereas black people view black people and our history as inferior to Europeans and their history - primarily because they think everything about our people and history is just suffering and enslavement when that is not the case.
 
Old Today, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,317 posts, read 568,773 times
Reputation: 7148
Sorry, "arguing" was the wrong term for me to use. But this looks like the futility of banging one's head against a wall.

I am enjoying reading your posts.
 
Old Today, 05:11 PM
 
14,529 posts, read 7,186,551 times
Reputation: 7485
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKite View Post
because majority percentages don't necessarily determine what you are where you come from. Also being 75%African doesn't make me you, and African-Americans of the same ethnic origin because 75% African doesn't represent my main origins or the origins that matter the most. I can trace my ethnic origins to Portugal so were not the same race/ethnicity so since I have Portuguese ancestry so I have a different ethnic origin from you. the 75%African doesn't represent my ethnic origins over Portugal, because DNA percentages don't matter or determine what I am. So I'm Portuguese-American or mixed-race/mulatto versus Black-American because that is the ancestry that matters the most. Also I'm more likely related to Ronaldo than you. Portuguese immigrants who came started their own business, etc matter more than ones who were enslaves, and their is nothing wrong with that. The ancestors that represent me and where I come from our my Portuguese ancestors. Physically I look 100% African but I'm of Portuguese decent(my great-great grandfather,etc), so I'm Portuguese-American, so they are my history
For CatzPaw see they posted and actually stated exactly what I did after I posted the above - these sorts of people fall into the belief that black American history is only about enslavement and due to that they view black people as inferior to whites/Europeans.

I've noted before on other forums here that the black inferiority complex is actually the biggest problem in black America today. It mostly stems from a lack of knowledge about black American history and this is primarily based upon our educational system in the past especially, teaching and preaching that the only thing that black people have in our history is slavery and the Civil Rights Movement, when that is far from the truth.

I'll note as well that I know a LOT of white Americans who find out they have a small amount of African ancestry and they do like I do with my own trace regions and investigate the history of those ethnic groups and a couple people in some groups I'm a member of they have become obsessed with black American history in their local area lol. They are just amazed at how little they have learned and they are white people. They also don't claim not to be white, they are just very inspired about knowing more about the American story per se.

I'll hope in the future that this poster comes out of that inferiority complex and looks at the majority of their ancestors to see what he/she is missing out on. I also do feel bad for their family since as I noted, I do feel it is disrespectful to one's ancestors to ignore them if you are researching your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top