U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 04:16 PM

112 posts, read 27,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
LOL, wasn't trying to argue, just was curious.

I have my own theories and didn't want to state them because often people get offended by them (black people who hold these ideas get offended).

But I just wondered (hopefully) if the poster is just going to focus on exploring this part of their ancestry and maybe move on to others in the future. Sometimes that is the case. I did feel very connected to my European ancestry when I focused a lot on those lines.

I feel very connected to my indigenous ancestry as well when I focus on those lines.

But I do have a special affinity for my black ancestry because it makes up the bulk of my ethnic origins (similar to this poster). Because of it being my majority, I've heavily researched black American history and culture from a genealogical and local history perspective based on where my ancestors lived. Every time I focus on a new group of ancestors, I am typically blown away by how inspirational of a story they have and so I feel sorry for this poster for them totally disregarding such an inspiring legacy.

I'll note that I personally feel that people who do this sort of thing (deny their black ancestry) they are heavily invested in a black inferiority mindset whereas they do not view blackness or Africa from any sort of positive perspective. IMO it is a throwback into 19th century style white supremacy worldviews. Non-black people do not realize that this sort of worldview heavily impacted black people in this nation and it still is a pervasive view whereas black people view black people and our history as inferior to Europeans and their history - primarily because they think everything about our people and history is just suffering and enslavement when that is not the case.
I don't deny my black ancestry. I just choose my Portuguese ancestry over African ancestry more, and there is nothing wrong with that. I don't have a inferior complex towards African ancestry. I never think about African ancestry or Black history in general. There is nothing wrong with choosing other parts of your a heritage and ancestry over others. There are many people a who are majority white who identify with their African-American ancestry and their are people who identify with their Italian roots and they are far less Italian. i have nothing to do with the Black community and what kinds of issues impact them. Thee is nothing wrong with seeing other bloodlines more important than African. Africa isn't special. If I was running for president I would be the first Portuguese-American president

Old 11-18-2018, 04:18 PM

15,303 posts, read 7,819,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKite View Post
because majority percentages don't necessarily determine what you are where you come from. Also being 75%African doesn't make me you, and African-Americans of the same ethnic origin because 75% African doesn't represent my main origins or the origins that matter the most. I can trace my ethnic origins to Portugal so were not the same race/ethnicity so since I have Portuguese ancestry so I have a different ethnic origin from you. the 75%African doesn't represent my ethnic origins over Portugal, because DNA percentages don't matter or determine what I am. So I'm Portuguese-American or mixed-race/mulatto versus Black-American because that is the ancestry that matters the most. Also I'm more likely related to Ronaldo than you. Portuguese immigrants who came started their own business, etc matter more than ones who were enslaves, and their is nothing wrong with that. The ancestors that represent me and where I come from our my Portuguese ancestors. Physically I look 100% African but I'm of Portuguese decent(my great-great grandfather,etc), so I'm Portuguese-American, so they are my history
The 75% does make us the same ethnic origins lol. We also are both Americans so we are both black Americans - sorry to burst your bubble on this.

Once you explore your Portuguese ancestry, you should take a look at the black side and do some research so you can learn more about black American history. It is not all about "enslavement." And slaves were very important to the building of this nation and there is something wrong with you believing that Portuguese were "more important" than black slaves. That means you are basically being a white supremacists and viewing contributions of white people as superior to black people. That is indicative of psychological issues.

Ancestry shows you and I are both black and are both black Americans no matter how you want to spin it. But it is great you want to learn more about your Portuguese ancestry. I'm currently focusing a lot on a line of black ancestors who were "free" people prior to 1870 (though I do believe they were slaves in the 1700s) who have some Norweigian ancestry. I've even communicated with a distant 6th-8th cousin in Norway and we are working on finding the connection - he's excited to be helping me do so because he doesn't think black people don't matter or aren't important lol.

Never said you weren't of Portuguese descent. But you are also of African descent and it is sad you've invested yourself in an inferiority mindset about who you are in the mirror. I don't look 100% African but I'd never deny my blackness/African-ness.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:29 PM

What is blackness? Portuguese-American is the right term versus Black-American. Black is not a culture or identity so you saying I'm black-American over Portuguese i incorrect. Also I don't have psychological issues and what look like also doesn't matter either. I' m mixed-race but I'm definitely Portuguese-American versus Black-American. And no 75%African doesn't represent what I am or what my main ethnic origins are. I have Portuguese ancestry so I have the same ethnic origins as everyone in Portugal has. 75%f African doesn't make us the same ethnicity because my Portuguese ancestry is what my main ethnic origins are.My Portuguese ancestry is what makes me a different ethnicity than you and black Americans because that is the blood line that is me. And my Portuguese history does represent my history and roots. And there is nothing wrong with identifying with my Portuguese ancestry over African ancestry. Portugal is where I come from and they are my people because I have the same ethnic origin as them. i come from Portugal just like them and I'm probably related to them down the line. Now why do you consider me Black American versus Portuguese-American? Curious to hear your point of view

Old 11-18-2018, 04:38 PM

15,303 posts, read 7,819,224 times
Blackness is my African ancestyr and my culture as a black American.

Black American culture was founded upon the start of the Revolutionary War and especially so after the American Revolution. Free black people of that era along with slaves fully pointed out the hypocrisy of the Declaration of Independence and upon the formation of this nation solidifying enslavement of people of African descent in the constitution, black people along with white Americans who were invested in true nature of "liberty" and "freedom" began to advocate for abolition. Black culture is heavily based in activism and what is considered "community uplift." We have a very deep cultural history in these regards and most people who have an in depth knowledge of this cultural legacy, especially those who are black, we very much agree with the mantra "my culture is black."

Black is a culture and an identity. You chose to deny it, but it is a fact. We have a whole museum now dedicated to it in DC lol.

Portuguese are not that far away from the French, we probably have some similar distant cousins. I bet you have some English or Irish/Scottish ancestry as well, most black people do in America. You are probably my cousin lol.

I come from Ohio. Ancestors have lived here since the 1840s, prior to that in Michigan, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, and Virginia. I have deep American roots. My culture is black and I'm a black American. That is close to my heart. You chose not to know and that's fine for you, but if you have children, it is worrying that you are passing on this sort of inferiority mindset. I also worry you are kind of paranoid about this with how many threads you've posted like you want some validation about you not being black. Makes me think you are that black girl on Dr. Phil recently who makes calls with the KKK.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Blackness is my African ancestyr and my culture as a black American.

Black American culture was founded upon the start of the Revolutionary War and especially so after the American Revolution. Free black people of that era along with slaves fully pointed out the hypocrisy of the Declaration of Independence and upon the formation of this nation solidifying enslavement of people of African descent in the constitution, black people along with white Americans who were invested in true nature of "liberty" and "freedom" began to advocate for abolition. Black culture is heavily based in activism and what is considered "community uplift." We have a very deep cultural history in these regards and most people who have an in depth knowledge of this cultural legacy, especially those who are black, we very much agree with the mantra "my culture is black."

Black is a culture and an identity. You chose to deny it, but it is a fact. We have a whole museum now dedicated to it in DC lol.

Portuguese are not that far away from the French, we probably have some similar distant cousins. I bet you have some English or Irish/Scottish ancestry as well, most black people do in America. You are probably my cousin lol.

I come from Ohio. Ancestors have lived here since the 1840s, prior to that in Michigan, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, and Virginia. I have deep American roots. My culture is black and I'm a black American. That is close to my heart. You chose not to know and that's fine for you, but if you have children, it is worrying that you are passing on this sort of inferiority mindset.
Nope, I'm more related to Portuguese people than you. I have Portuguese cousins and I look forward to getting to know them, and yes they are my 4th, and 5th cousins that I talk to more than black 1 st cousins(never seen or me them) and they are my relatives. Also my culture isn't Black-American, so you can't consider me black s you and other Black-Americans because i already told you m main lineage and history is Portuguese. How am I black american versus Portuguese-American? i think I already told you which ancestry is my heritage so you can't debate that. My Portuguese history is what matters the most so I'm focusing on learning about my Portuguese history and where I come from. I'm proud to be Portuguese-American

Old 11-18-2018, 05:19 PM

19,624 posts, read 18,693,933 times
Time to close this old thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or