U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2013, 03:33 PM

22,539 posts, read 28,454,548 times

Advertisements

OP, does you family have a pedigree-based right to the family crest? You can trace your ancestry back to a person who legitimately had claim to the crest?

If not, I suggest that you hire a graphics art student out of the closet college and have them draw you up a new family crest. Figure out what is important to your family that can be drawn in the 4 quadrants, and pick out your colors, and get one done just for your family.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:18 PM

199 posts, read 354,330 times
Of course. Everyone should acknowledge his/her heritage, though it is probably more difficult for some than others in matters of identity. This country still has a varied response to "What is Black?", but I think by and large it comes down to that person's identity and appearance, and of mixed ethnicity/race we're coming to be less judgmental and more willing to pause and wait for the person to identify him/herself.

No one will ever be able to map their entire genealogical tree, and I think our heritage via gene testing (which only really traces two branches of one's tree, the father's father's father's father, etc., and the mother's mother's mother's mother, etc. through mitochondrial DNA and the Y-chromosome) leaves much to be discovered. We're made of much, much more than that. Embrace whatever you are, and all the things you'll never know about your family lines.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:10 PM
bjh

30,287 posts, read 23,714,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Well yeah, but when my sister tried to contact some other white people in Canada who share our mother's very rare last name, she got no reply. Many people who are contacted by strangers out of the blue on the internet don't respond.
True, and I don't blame them for having concerns. The point this woman was making is other identifiably black relatives responded, but almost no white relatives did. She felt like she was experiencing a bias. I agree. If I had a black relative contact me, I'd be interested in knowing how we're kin because as far as I know, none of my ancestors were ever slave "owners," due no doubt to our Yankee background.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:09 PM

18,589 posts, read 23,140,991 times
Since black genealogy in the US is sometimes fraught with horror - slavery, rape etc., I am not surprised that many AA people do not "count" or aknowlege their white heritage.

If I were the product of ownership or rape? I'd just erase it. In every way that one can think.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:11 PM

3,395 posts, read 3,724,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Ok, first let me say this is my first time in this section and I have never really thought much about this until a few minutes ago when I was thinking about something interesting to put on a 'personal' buisness card besides my name,number, email, etc. You know the type of card I could give out in a first encounter.
Then suddenly, I recalled that during my childhood, my mother once ordered and placed a very stylish and impressive door knocker shaped in the Coat of Arms or family crest of our last name. At the time, We proudly displayed it on the front door of our house. It didnt have any offense that it's genealogy was Scottish but we were African American.
So now I wonder if it would be odd for a black person to have this emblem of scottish genealogy on a buisness card. I will say that it is definitely attractive/impressive symbol and am not personally offended by it but obviously wouldnt want it to be offensive.
I guess my own thoughts are that who and what I am today is a result of my entire genealogy. This doesnt mean that I approve of everything that has happened in history but I do like me!
To be fair, it wasn't black people who created the "one-drop rule," under which no one with any African ancestry could claim any measure of European ancestry.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:06 PM

7,496 posts, read 9,722,901 times
I suppose it depends on the situation. If at some point in history a black relative had willingly married or got together with a white person, then sure. If the situation was forced, through slavery and rape for example, then it might be less likely that the descendant would want to celebrate that.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:19 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,042,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Since black genealogy in the US is sometimes fraught with horror - slavery, rape etc., I am not surprised that many AA people do not "count" or aknowlege their white heritage.

If I were the product of ownership or rape? I'd just erase it. In every way that one can think.

This is the biggest issue with regard to most blacks, and their European ancestry. African Americans as a whole are about 1/5 European. It's not just the Halle Berry types who have white ancestry either. People like Muhammed Ali, or Janet Jackson are seen as unquestionably black in the US, but they don't really look like the people who are natives of Africa, because they have European ancestry. Even many dark skinned people have some European ancestry. The problem most blacks have with this, is that most of the mixing occurred under very problematic circumstances. There also tends to be little knowledge of the individuals involved, or what nationality they were, although most can be assumed to have come from the British Isles. Most black people don't have a problem acknowledging white ancestry that came via legitimate circumstances.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:34 AM

394 posts, read 1,334,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OP, does you family have a pedigree-based right to the family crest? You can trace your ancestry back to a person who legitimately had claim to the crest?

If not, I suggest that you hire a graphics art student out of the closet college and have them draw you up a new family crest. Figure out what is important to your family that can be drawn in the 4 quadrants, and pick out your colors, and get one done just for your family.
I agree with oregonwoodsmoke that if you want to use a crest and don't have legitimate right to use one already in existence, have someone make one for you or make your own. There's no coat of arms bible saying that you must have one given to your family by royalty. If you're using it for your own purposes, it doesn't need to officially accepted by anyone. I wouldn't use one that didn't reflect my own family, though, because it wouldn't mean anything to me. Get creative, find what symbols and motto have meaning for you and make your own. Start a new family tradition.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:44 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,541,046 times
My wife and I (she is AA, and I'm white with strong Dutch heritage) decided that both sides of our future children's ancestry will be something they will be taught about.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:55 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,997 posts, read 5,706,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Influence isn't a given however, and each person has the option to choose if they want it to matter. My dad's family is almost all southern, not with money but from all over the south. I wouldn't be surprised if the family geneology wouldn't bring them up but is someone turned out to be black and a direct cousin I'd be happy to make contact. I'm looking for my first cousins who I lost contact after my uncle died and think I found them on Ancestry and am hoping, so even more recent family can easily get 'lost'.

I know I have Scots ancestors and would LOVE to find out the proper tartan and make something with it as extended family. Its a tie to the past even if there is likely not way I'll ever get to Scotland (which I'd love to see).
i had an uncle look up our ancestry, he ended up in virginia and found some white people with our name who was related to us.. i tried to look for my grandmothers line, and ended up in french documents, i do miss when ancestry was free (circa 2002)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or