U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 11:15 AM

24,757 posts, read 33,863,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
But the same can be said for white americans. Many whites american would not be alive if it were not for African ancestry. There were many black people passing for white (it still goes on today) and they married whites and had children, grandchildren, great-granchildren and so on who may look white and even have pale skin, blonde hair, and blue eyes and not even know (or some might actually know) that they have black ancestry.

Why doesn't white america embrace their african ancestry? Heather Locklear, Carol Channing, Carly Simon, Denise Richards, and Johnny Depp have. Will others follow their lead?
There is an interesting story out there about a white guy named Joe Mozingo who began checking into his origins when some African friends of his told him that his surname came from the Congo. Sure enough, he was descended from a slave of Congolese descent in Virginia who married a white woman back in the 1600s. It's a fascinating story, especially when he tells his relatives back in Appalachia who thought they were Italian or French exactly where that name came from.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:17 AM

24,757 posts, read 33,863,841 times
Quote:
But the same can be said for white americans. Many whites american would not be alive if it were not for African ancestry. There were many black people passing for white (it still goes on today) and they married whites and had children, grandchildren, great-granchildren and so on who may look white and even have pale skin, blonde hair, and blue eyes and not even know (or some might actually know) that they have black ancestry.

Why doesn't white america embrace their african ancestry? Heather Locklear, Carol Channing, Carly Simon, Denise Richards, and Johnny Depp have. Will others follow their lead?
That's interesting about these folks. I knew about Heather, and Johnny Depp who acknowledged their origins even though they didn't have parents who obviously looked mixed. In the case of Carol Channing and Carly Simon, both had parents of obvious partial African origins.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:24 PM

777 posts, read 835,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
There is an interesting story out there about a white guy named Joe Mozingo who began checking into his origins when some African friends of his told him that his surname came from the Congo. Sure enough, he was descended from a slave of Congolese descent in Virginia who married a white woman back in the 1600s. It's a fascinating story, especially when he tells his relatives back in Appalachia who thought they were Italian or French exactly where that name came from.
You're right, Lucario. That is an interesting story. Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That's good. Thanks for the link.

I wonder if more famous whites will embrace their African ancestry as well.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:26 PM

23,272 posts, read 28,076,984 times
Quote:
That's good. Thanks for the link.

I wonder if more famous whites will embrace their African ancestry as well.
I have been researching my family tree for a few years now, and one of the fascinating things about genealogy is that so many people share their information. The more serious researchers, even if they are amateurs, are meticulous about documentation. You can read here in this forum about the difficulty posed by less serious tree builders who are only trying to connect their families to someone famous, even if they have to bend the facts to make their tree fit a preconceived notion.

But the diligent folks take the facts as they find them. We do not have to like what our ancestors did (I have at least one who was a murderer - and hanged for it), but we do have to accept that they were indeed our ancestors.

So I think you will find not only famous people but also ordinary folks who will accept their African ancestors, and perhaps, in time, embrace them

Old 10-22-2013, 08:24 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,314,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I have been researching my family tree for a few years now, and one of the fascinating things about genealogy is that so many people share their information. The more serious researchers, even if they are amateurs, are meticulous about documentation. You can read here in this forum about the difficulty posed by less serious tree builders who are only trying to connect their families to someone famous, even if they have to bend the facts to make their tree fit a preconceived notion.

But the diligent folks take the facts as they find them. We do not have to like what our ancestors did (I have at least one who was a murderer - and hanged for it), but we do have to accept that they were indeed our ancestors.

So I think you will find not only famous people but also ordinary folks who will accept their African ancestors, and perhaps, in time, embrace them
To my knowledge not one person has ever taken issue with having African ancestry at 23andMe. At least not among my DNA relatives and musings around the forums. Most are quite proud to be who they are and they embrace it.

It takes a certain kind of person to even complete this type of testing. You almost have to be opened to anything is possible.

And I have some stories to tell when it comes to discovering my own ancestors and racial mixing. I could probably at least create a successful blog series.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:30 PM

23,272 posts, read 28,076,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
To my knowledge not one person has ever taken issue with having African ancestry at 23andMe. At least not among my DNA relatives and musings around the forums. Most are quite proud to be who they are and they embrace it.

It takes a certain kind of person to even complete this type of testing. You almost have to be opened to anything is possible.

And I have some stories to tell when it comes to discovering my own ancestors and racial mixing. I could probably at least create a successful blog series.
CD has a blog feature, you know!

Old 10-22-2013, 10:13 PM

Maybe they'll recognize it when whites recognize their own African ancestry.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:12 AM

9,807 posts, read 10,045,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
I guess my own thoughts are that who and what I am today is a result of my entire genealogy. This doesnt mean that I approve of everything that has happened in history but I do like me!
Everyone's genetic makeup is often a reflection of good and the terrible in history. Is your ancestry really Scottish or did your family simply take a Scottish surname? Many former slaves simply took the name of one of the founding father's or of their previous owner.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:05 PM

24,060 posts, read 17,467,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
How does this racist "rule" that was unenforceable even in the American South influence anything today, which is what you are claiming? Blacks who were light enough have been "passing" into white society for hundreds of years, and if they could pass for white and nobody knew what their ancestry was, how were they identified as "black" even in the South?

Having 1 black ancestor 5 or 6 generations back doesn't make you black any more than having 1 Jewish or Native American ancestor that far back makes you Jewish or Native American.

If a black person today wants to be proclaim his/her European ancestry, that's his/her business. If he/she doesn't, that's his/her business, too. Not yours. Not mine. Certainly NOT the US government's business.
Agreed. You also have changes because of immigrants from around the world. Many Latinos and Arabs are part Black, but some may not identify as such (and certainly not exclusively). Mind you, there are Latinos and Arabs who do identify as Black. And there's nothing wrong with either way. People can identify with whatever they please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or