U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 06:06 PM

23,344 posts, read 16,239,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYisontop View Post
Of course. Everyone should acknowledge his/her heritage, though it is probably more difficult for some than others in matters of identity. This country still has a varied response to "What is Black?", but I think by and large it comes down to that person's identity and appearance, and of mixed ethnicity/race we're coming to be less judgmental and more willing to pause and wait for the person to identify him/herself.

No one will ever be able to map their entire genealogical tree, and I think our heritage via gene testing (which only really traces two branches of one's tree, the father's father's father's father, etc., and the mother's mother's mother's mother, etc. through mitochondrial DNA and the Y-chromosome) leaves much to be discovered. We're made of much, much more than that. Embrace whatever you are, and all the things you'll never know about your family lines.
Actually, current dna test map out genetic markers on all chromosones. They are not restricted to mitochondrial dna and y chromosones. So yes, you can identify MULTIPLE aspects of your family tree.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
This is the biggest issue with regard to most blacks, and their European ancestry. African Americans as a whole are about 1/5 European. It's not just the Halle Berry types who have white ancestry either. People like Muhammed Ali, or Janet Jackson are seen as unquestionably black in the US, but they don't really look like the people who are natives of Africa, because they have European ancestry. Even many dark skinned people have some European ancestry. The problem most blacks have with this, is that most of the mixing occurred under very problematic circumstances. There also tends to be little knowledge of the individuals involved, or what nationality they were, although most can be assumed to have come from the British Isles. Most black people don't have a problem acknowledging white ancestry that came via legitimate circumstances.
I am African American. I'm about 19% white and this was confirmed by genetic testing. Though British was the single biggest European ethnic group in my dna, it was only 6% of my background.

Overall I am.

Benin/Togo, 18% Nigeria, 11% Mali, 10% African Southeastern Bantu, 10% Cameroon, 4% Senegel, and 1% from Ghana, about 1% Indian/Pakistani, 6% British, 3% Eastern European, 3% Spanish, 2% Western European, 2% Northern Russian, 1% Italian, 1% Scandinavian, and 1% Irish.

A friend of mine from Puerto Rico who has a light skinned mixed/near white look jokes that we are brother's (his African side has a lot from Benin/Togo) and he's obviously got a lot of Spanish. So we're similar, just in different portions.

Btw, not all people in Africa look the same or have the same heritage. A friend of mine from Nigeria is at least as light as Obama, because one of her parents is ENGLISH. Europeans, Indians, and Chinese have been in Africa for centuries.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Back n the 60's and still today some Blacks changed their names because they didn't want to use their "slave names'
Muhammad Ali changed his because I assume he is a decedent of the Kentucky Slave owner, Classius Clay. It seems the long held trend was for Black to reject their European heritage unless of course it can be proved that it was acquired legitimately.
ONLY a minority of Blacks changed their last names. And Muhammad Ali changed his name to an Arabic name out of ignorance. You have slavery in Arab countries as well of Black Africans.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
I personall think they shouldn't. Especially because the way they were treated, just because they were Black or had some partial Black ancestry.
Actress Vanessa Williams Explains How DNA Powers Her Family Tree |Ancestry.com Blog

Vanessa Williams talks about how her brother had a rare blood disorder common in Italians. Her mother was asked by the medical staff if there was Italian in the family. The mother said no. But via genetic testing it was confirmed that her family is part Italian.

So basically, your ancestry is a part of your dna and it even has MEDICAL applications. So people should be honest about their ethnic background/family history. It is what it is, and you are who you are.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy88 View Post
No, Black Americans shouldn't. I'm Black, but there is traceable Irish ancestry in my family history. The big questions: was the action that resulted in this admixture consensual? Are there any significant traits in our family that identify us with being distinctly Irish? Could I walk into a pub on St. Patrick's Day and claim brotherhood with the Irishmen who are there celebrating?

The big answer to all those questions: No.
I'm 1% Irish, and I've been in Irish bars during St. Patrick's day where people asked if I had an Irish ancestry and offered brotherhood. And we got wasted/blasted/****ed up drunk.

So you could.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:29 AM

2,242 posts, read 2,552,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Actually, current dna test map out genetic markers on all chromosones. They are not restricted to mitochondrial dna and y chromosones. So yes, you can identify MULTIPLE aspects of your family tree.
It also includes autosomnal tests and testing as well!

Old 12-02-2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
I am African American. I'm about 19% white and this was confirmed by genetic testing. Though British was the single biggest European ethnic group in my dna, it was only 6% of my background.

Overall I am.

Benin/Togo, 18% Nigeria, 11% Mali, 10% African Southeastern Bantu, 10% Cameroon, 4% Senegel, and 1% from Ghana, about 1% Indian/Pakistani, 6% British, 3% Eastern European, 3% Spanish, 2% Western European, 2% Northern Russian, 1% Italian, 1% Scandinavian, and 1% Irish.

A friend of mine from Puerto Rico who has a light skinned mixed/near white look jokes that we are brother's (his African side has a lot from Benin/Togo) and he's obviously got a lot of Spanish. So we're similar, just in different portions.

Btw, not all people in Africa look the same or have the same heritage. A friend of mine from Nigeria is at least as light as Obama, because one of her parents is ENGLISH. Europeans, Indians, and Chinese have been in Africa for centuries.
And Arabs have been in Africa too since ancient times.

Africa is the most diverse intrapopulationally. The greatest genetic diversity and variety in the world is found in Africa.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
ONLY a minority of Blacks changed their last names. And Muhammad Ali changed his name to an Arabic name out of ignorance. You have slavery in Arab countries as well of Black Africans.
Thank you. Many of the Africans that came to the Western Hemisphere had been oppressed ny Arabs or had enslaved and slave names given to them by the Arabs and many were Muslims and were forced to be Islamic or Arabs imposed Islam and Islamics on black Africans.

Arabs began the mass slave trading of black Africans and they were even involved in the later transatlantic slave trade. Ppl overlook the Arab and Islamic slave trades.

The name Muhammad Ali is just as much as a slave name following his and other peoples logic if one wants to go down that route.

Arabs also had many white slaves. They created the divide in racial dynamics and equated whiteness with superiority and blackness with inferiority and this set the blueprint for later white supremacy.

I dont know why ppl don't call out Arabs who were the progenitors and still are behind the mass oppression and enslavement and supremacy of peoples. Many dont know about it or want to talk about it. Sigh. Smh

Old 12-02-2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Agreed. You also have changes because of immigrants from around the world. Many Latinos and Arabs are part Black, but some may not identify as such (and certainly not exclusively). Mind you, there are Latinos and Arabs who do identify as Black. And there's nothing wrong with either way. People can identify with whatever they please.
Well said! Completely agree and this comment is on point.

+1

Old 12-17-2013, 11:38 PM

101 posts, read 81,056 times
I had my genealogy traced and discovered I only have 7% euro ancestry, the rest is west African. no point in me claiming that little bit since I did not inherit any of it physically. mod cut

Last edited by Tallysmom; 12-18-2013 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: Not appropriate for the forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or