U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 04:06 PM

9,209 posts, read 18,049,326 times

Advertisements

That's the strange part. They were married by the same justice of the peace, but lived in completely different townships in the same county.

I guess it wasn't a very busy justice of the peace, since there were no marriages recorded between the two, which were 3 months apart. The J of P was in Gloucester Twp, where Leonard's parents lived, but Clara's parents both came from Waterford Twp, maybe 10 miles away. I have no evidence that Leonard came over to where Clara lived until he was about 20.

They must have known each other, so it's not that bizarre. I just think the most bizarre part was the two marriages being on the same handwritten page and my not noticing it until now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 04:18 PM

21,498 posts, read 26,102,510 times
Even if the marriages were three months apart, they may have actually been recorded on the same day. Often the person who performed the marriage put it in the record when he got around to it.

It's still a neat finding.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:45 PM

3,748 posts, read 5,815,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I wonder what it all means, if anything.

I have two Puritan ancestors living in MA in 1630. They diverge for 250 years and then two of their descendants get married in Canada and they are my gt grandparents. Probably not so much a coincidence as much as following one of the common migration routes in the early days. Some of them were bound to meet again.
Me too! I actually am the direct decent of 9 Mayflower passengers.
John Alden and Pricilla Mullins were the first two to be married. The offspring of the other families married people who came later. The offspring of those families branch off, but then two come back and tie the 'sides' back together...that side then meets up with the other offspring decendants.
So all 9 of those passengers all get funneled together some 80 years later...in Ohio!

Old 04-14-2015, 01:35 AM

17,994 posts, read 17,150,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Me too! I actually am the direct decent of 9 Mayflower passengers.
John Alden and Pricilla Mullins were the first two to be married. The offspring of the other families married people who came later. The offspring of those families branch off, but then two come back and tie the 'sides' back together...that side then meets up with the other offspring decendants.
So all 9 of those passengers all get funneled together some 80 years later...in Ohio!
Yes, that's weird like mine. A good way of putting it "tie the sides back together".

I thought of another one: One time I was living in an apartment complex and was sorting the mail that was always left on a shelf in the front hall. The return address on my neighbor's mail was the same house my cousin had grown up in, hundreds of miles away in a different state.

Around the same time, someone at work was going to visit her aunt. Turned out her aunt was living in the very same house that my grandparents had lived in when I was growing up. Out of state, far away. (....We are entering The Twilight Zone.....)

Old 04-14-2015, 08:42 AM

2,199 posts, read 2,272,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
When I posted, I'd forgotten about all the repeated birthdays I found!

Of course, there's a 1 in 365.25 chance that two people will share a birthday. But when you see the same birthday coming up multiple times, in multiple lines, I can't imagine the odds-against-chance of that.

I need to go back and keep a list/spreadsheet of all the repeated birthdays, death days, and wedding days.
What you cite is true for 100% certainty. However, you need only 70 randomly chosen people to reach 99.8-99.9% certainty that a birth date will be shared and only 23-24 people for 50% certainty. I used to know that math, but have forgotten it.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:23 PM

9,209 posts, read 18,049,326 times
Default Necroposting in my own thread...

Just found another cute coincidence:

My grandmother was married twice, first to my Dad's biological father, Clarence, who abandoned the family, and then to my Dad's stepfather, Anton, who I always considered my Grandfather.

I always thought it was funny how both of her husbands had mothers named Ida. Clarence's mother Ida came from Sweden, and Anton's mother Ida came from Germany.

But today I found that Clarence married a second time, and his second wife was named Kathryn. Specifically with that spelling. Not Catherine, or Katherine, but Kathryn. But when Anton married my grandmother, this was his third marriage. The first ended in divorce, but his second wife was named Kathryn. Spelled exactly that way.

So Grandmom married two men whose mothers were Ida, and whose second wives were Kathryn.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:32 PM

2,469 posts, read 2,724,033 times
One thing I have noticed with my ancestors who had lived in the 1600-1700s time-frame. The birth and death dates of the husbands and wives are way too close to be coincidences.

I have several pairs of direct ancestors like this (and indirect ones for that matter). I am guessing that the birth and death dates may not be known, so they were possibly "guessed." Sometimes they are listed as being born the same year and die the same year. Since this info is that old, I really do not know how to take time to verify on my own (besides doing extensive online searches).

I plan to work on my genealogy stuff later this year or next year. Right now, I am taking a break from genealogy search.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:59 AM

480 posts, read 335,408 times
My weird coincidence: My father's tree and my mother's tree overlap. For most people this is not too weird, but it's weird for me because these two families live more than 300 miles apart and there's a one-in-million chance of them meeting.

The distant cousin from my mom's family grew up in a small town about 90 miles southwest of St Louis.

The distant cousin from my father's family grew up in a small town about 300 miles away in south-central Iowa.

Around 1968, these two just happened to stumbled into each other in Omaha, Nebraska, fell in love, and were married.

The female cousin had majored in political science and had moved to Omaha to work for a U.S. senator from Nebraska (Roman Hruska). The male cousin had majored in journalism and had moved to Omaha to be the TV news producer for the NBC affiliate in Omaha.

The male cousin died about 6 years ago from cancer. Around 1980, they moved to Atlanta, GA, where he was the head executive producer of CNN morning programing from about 1982 until 2009. When he died, CNN ran video tributes to him that day.

It's a small, small world.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:22 PM

7,031 posts, read 3,747,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
As I do more and more family research, I've noticed that certain places, place names, and other things pop up repeatedly in different lines of my family. Have you noticed this?

Please share your weird family history coincidences!
Yes! The date of November 10 pops up repeatedly in my husband's family tree. I've counted at least 30 instances in the last 200 years where his direct ancestors either were born on November 10 or died on November 10. In a few cases, people were both born AND died on November 10.

Ironically, my husband and I were married on November 10.

I haven't found any other dates that pop up with that same regularity in his tree (or mine), so it is a weird little coincidence.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:25 PM

3,633 posts, read 4,252,313 times
I've found same-names with people who were either not related or related very distantly.

The most surprising coincidence, though, was years before my parents met, each had a brother stationed at Pearl Harbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or