U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 04:46 PM

17,985 posts, read 17,140,226 times

Advertisements

I think the more you do genealogy, the more coincidences you find.

Here'a another one: (I may have already told this elsewhere) The night I met my ex, we started talking about our families. I said my mother's family came from Vermont. He said his did too. I said mine came from very northern Vermont on the Canadian border. His did too. I said mine came from X town. He said his did too.

It was a weird feeling as we narrowed it down to the same town and in both cases it was our grandparents. A few months later we took a ride to that town and visited the town hall. My ex freaked out when the marriage records, which were on index cards, turned out to be in the same drawer. They both started with the same letter.

To make matters worse, both sets of grandparents were married the same year in the same church!

When we asked his mother about her family, she mentioned a surname that was the same as my gt grandparents. Upon checking, we were related too.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:07 PM

311 posts, read 355,878 times
I moved from NY to TN about 10 years ago. I had no connection to anyone in TN (at least I thought I didn't) A co-worker of mine and I were talking about family history. Come to find out her 6th GGF was married to my 6th great cousin, and they are buried in TN in the town where I live now. The 6th great cousins son, owned a farm that is less a mile from where I live. Another strange thing is that my son moved to Ohio. I found out that some family members from the late 1800's are buried in the county next to where my son is. One of them share the same birthday as my son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 07:42 PM

7,031 posts, read 3,747,193 times
I love this thread! It's so fun thinking about how our lives may be intersecting with people today who our future descendants will also be connected to in some way. One of the things I love about genealogy is that it really makes you think about not just the past, but also the present and future, and this thread has done that too!

Old 08-23-2015, 06:37 PM

8,093 posts, read 4,448,863 times
during the 60's my family moved to very small town outside nashville, a lot of people in that town had our last name, which is very rare.

jump ahead thirty years, no we not still in that small town but i found my family tree was in that small town in 1850. there was even a corner and a hill with the family name.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:40 AM

1,890 posts, read 1,243,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
As I do more and more family research, I've noticed that certain places, place names, and other things pop up repeatedly in different lines of my family. Have you noticed this?

Examples:

I've found Jefferson Ave or Jefferson St. to be the address of several families in my lineage. Several on my Dad's side, and one way back on my Mom's side. These are different streets, in different towns, in two different states, in two centuries, so it's not like it was one family home on the same street that got passed down. Sure, Jefferson is a common name for a street, but only one of these is a bigger street in a big city. The rest are small Jefferson Aves 2 or 4 blocks long in small towns.

I have a family back on my paternal grandmother's father's line who had a large farm for many years in the 1800s. Even back before they had addresses, the farm was known to be on "New Freedom Rd" outside of what is now Berlin NJ. A hundred years later, a family on my paternal grandfather's line lived in the same New Freedom Rd, outside of Berlin NJ. Around the same time (the 1940s) there is a newspaper article of my mother's great aunt taking her first airplane ride at around age 80, at a small airport on the same New Freedom Rd.

My maternal Grandmother's cousin served in WWII and took part in the bombing of Schweinfurt, Germany. Twenty years later, my Dad joined the Army and was stationed in the same Schweinfurt, West Germany. On my mom's side, her great grandparents came from Bavaria, which was then its own country, from towns very close to the same Schweinfurt.

Since many of my ancestors on both my mother's and father's side lived in southern NJ in the 1800s, 1900s I can't even count how many times this has happened: I find one family I'm looking for on a census record, and when (as usual) I poke ahead on the census pages a few pages forward or back, just to see who their neighbors were, I frequently find another family, from another one of my lines living very close by! These are people who were not related at the time, but would later become connected distantly by marriage, or who wouldn't have any connection at all except for being connected to me.

I've had other small things, like an ancestor's not-so-common last name being the same as the cross-street where I live, another ancestor's odd last name being the name of the person I bought my house from, finding ancestors buried right down the street (walking distance) from the office where I work, and discovering a man with the first name "Annekin" right at the time my nephew was obsessed with Darth Vader, Star Wars, and Annekin Skywalker. I had been visiting my sister and mentioned some family history research, which my nephew labeled "boring" and wanted to watch the Star Trek movies again. That night I got home and discovered my nephew had an ancestor named Annekin, and called him up to tell him (it's wasn't so "boring" after that.)

Please share your weird family history coincidences!
Funny you should mention Schweinfurt, I was born there, but years before the bombings. Like your grandparents I also lived in a village near Schweinfurt. As a GI, I was stationed in North Africa at the same base where my uncle was stationed during WWII. He was with the Afrika Korps and at that time it was a German base. I didn’t know that until I saw picture of him and recognized some of the same buildings and structures that I also had photographed.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:47 PM

226 posts, read 191,584 times
Default Uss aeolus

I did find something interesting/odd - I just happened to notice. My father served on board the USS AEOLUS during WWI. It was a troop transport ship that had been confiscated / seized when war was declared and it was in port in Baltimore, if memory serves. (It was originally a German cruise line GROSSER KURFURST).

Anyway, I just happened to notice an odd coincidence. It had to do with the passenger list not long after it was launched in Germany. There was a passenger with my father's name a year to the day before my father's birth date. I don't believe he was related - just an odd coincidence that about 18 years later my father would be a Seaman in the U.S. Navy aboard the same ship (however renamed).

Old 08-29-2015, 10:16 PM

386 posts, read 382,158 times
My grandfather was killed in a car accident on February 21, 1949. My brother was born 25 years later to the day and, of all the kids, mom said that this one brother had many of her father's mannerisms - which is odd because, of course, my brother had never met/been exposed to him to pattern himself on them. Another mark in the inherited, hardwired behaviors category!

Old 08-31-2015, 03:56 PM

858 posts, read 748,088 times
Both a coincidence in my family tree as well as in my research. I've been heavily researching my father's and mother's paternal lines, going back and forth. I can get both back mid to late 1700s and no interaction between those families I've found so far.

I was looking into my paternal furthest ancestor, an Isham Langley from South Carolina born around 1755. DNA has confirmed relation to various other South Carolina Langleys from that time and some North Carolina Langley's as well. A bunch of SC Langleys went to Georgia and mine went to Arkansas. I had found land lottery records for my Isham Langley in the 1805 Georgia land lottery, but he didn't win any land and then went to Arkansas. Another line very likely related goes to a Noah Langley who went to Georgia and was hired by the Cherokee to operate a mill. He married a Sarah Raines who was possibly mixed cherokee herself and he had 3 known daughters that likely intermarried with Cherokees (or intermixed Cherokees). I Y DNA match some Georgia Langley lines so I think these Langleys are all related.

I switched over to my mother's paternal line, which is the surname Bryant. It leads to Northern Georgia as well. I get up to an Elias Bryant who married a Nancy M Thomas. Nancy's parents were William C Thomas and Amanda Langston. I had a hard time confirming William C Thomas' parents. He was married in Gilmer County in 1854, and in 1850 there's a William Thomas living in Gilmer County, Georgia of the right age in the household of a Charles and Sarah Thomas. I had figured that was the right connection but found no further correlation between the related families so wasn't sure. Recently I made a breakthrough in that regard and discovered that my suspicions were correct, that was the incorrect family. There's a William Thomas of the right age in the neighboring county of Murray with parents Jesse and Rebecca Thomas. This caught my eye since William had two sons, James and Jesse (but no Charles). By 1870 William and his wife were dead and their children were orphaned, their two daughters are living with Amanda's mother (Clarissa Langston), I then was able to locate their two sons. James is living with Rebecca Thomas (Jesse was now dead) and Jesse was living with a "Mary Echols" whose maiden name was Thomas and coincidentally is a daughter of Jesse and Rebecca Thomas. So that confirmed a new set of ancestors.

In trying to find Jesse Thomas' parents I find a Jesse Thomas in Hall County Georgia who is old enough to be his father, in 1827 he married a Delilah Rains (maiden name welch) as his second wife (long after his potential son Jesse was born in 1802). Turns out Delilah is either a sister or cousin of Sarah Rains who married Noah Langley. Noah and Sarah Langley ended up moving to the same counties that my Jesse Thomas went through in fact as well. I suspect my Jesse Thomas' mother might actually be a daughter of Delilah and her first husband Thomas Rains (since I get a lot of Rains DNA matches) and the families seemed to be close... either way it seems the families are connected if not by blood by community... Ironically that Noah Langley was the same one I was researching 3 days previous on my own paternal line. Gave me a laugh or two that I ironically ended up looking into the same person from a line as far removed from eachother as they could be.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:45 AM

697 posts, read 856,285 times
One coincidence I can recall, in my own family history research involved ancestors who lived in my home town 300 years ago!
I had long known most of my family was descended from English colonists in southern New England, who came in the 1600s, but when I looked into these early generations closely some interesting things came to light.
To make a rather long story short, it turned out that the wife of my 8X great-grandfather was born in "Dedham", Mass. in the 1670s. When I dug into this woman's family (name Gould), it turned out that they had settled in my own town of Walpole in the 1690s (which was a part of Dedham, until 1724).
Otherwise, I had no long roots in my hometown, so that in itself was a surprise.
However, when I researched this Gould woman and her family, I noticed several names which I would see around town, namely streets, a few buildings and some people with the surnames like Hartshorn, Fairbanks, Fisher...the Goulds married into the Fishers and Hartshorns a number of times---and I lived on a Fisher Street, which was named for early settlers of that name! The Fishers had in fact owned the land that my house stood on, well into the early 20th century, when the farms were sold and subdivided.
The old town burial ground I would walk by on my way to school had many of these early settlers and residents buried in it---a couple of whom turned out to be related to my Gould ancestor (she herself is buried in Connecticut).

Old 09-07-2015, 05:35 PM

12 posts, read 6,590 times
What a great question. I have run across a coincidence and I'm still trying to puzzle it out.

My great grandmother from B-W, Germany, kept a journal in 1904 of what she did everyday, who she visited, and who visited her. I guess there was no TV and so people visited each other often. Cool.

As I was transcribing her journal, I got chills when she described her Miller boys visiting her. There were five Miller boys, ages 26- 17, and at least one Miller boy visited her everyday.

The coincidence is that two years later her daughter married one of those Miller boys. But why would my grandmother be friends with them? There was an age difference, they didn't live close to each other - but I'm glad that they were all in touch back them. I hope to find out how they met and became such good friends someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or