U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 08:51 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,333,976 times

Advertisements

Do not ignore your African mtDNA.

Not only could it possibly support your SSA ancestry but please remember that L3 is the maternal group to carry African DNA into Asia and Europe on maternal lnies. L3 is also associated with AJ ancestry.

Do you have a family tree? Do you know your 4 great grandparents? I would start there if you have no idea here and desire to pursue it. Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 01:01 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,569,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I feel I threw my money away doing this 23 and me. The results were 21% British and Irish and not broken down any further. What does that mean? British means Scottish, English and Welsh! And then it says Turkish. Really? Don't think so.

They wanted me to get my dad to sign up so he could be tested as well (meaning they want someone else's money). Do they want me to dig him up out of the ground?!

It also said I had a big chance of getting rheumatoid arthritis which I know for a fact is not true. I used to work in a lab and I had an RA factor test done just out of curiousity. Negative. Meaning I'd never get it.
I am especially interested in this, since I'd really like to know what parts of British I am. One family name is of scandanavian origion so I'd like to see this. It doesn't differenchiate at all???? I'm overwhelmingly of British sorts of origion so I wouldn't need a test for that.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I am especially interested in this, since I'd really like to know what parts of British I am. One family name is of scandanavian origion so I'd like to see this. It doesn't differenchiate at all???? I'm overwhelmingly of British sorts of origion so I wouldn't need a test for that.
No, it does not differentiate much. Many Caucasian members at 23andMe are not happy with results for this very reason along with being 100% Euro. Even more horrific is when it is greatly non-specific Euro or unassigned.

From my own results this is how I am grouped:

Sub-Saharan African (no further breakdown here which sucks IMO; it's like being 100% non-specific Euro)
British & Irish
French & German
Non-specific Northern European
Non-specific Southern European
East Asian & Native American
South Asian
Middle Eastern & North African
The rest is non-specific or unassigned.
__

The entire breakdown is:

Sub-Saharan African

East Asian & Native American
Native American %
East Asian%

European

Northern European
British & Irish %
Finnish %
French & German%
Scandinavian %

Southern European
Balkan%
Iberian %
Italian %
Sardinian %

Eastern European
Ashkenazi %

Middle Eastern & North African
Middle Eastern %
North African %

South Asian

Oceanian

Old 08-28-2013, 09:13 AM

Also, another thing that skews results with 23andMe is the 4 grandparent model. Just because 4 grandparents were born in Russia does not mean that they are Russian. Once a member identifies the Russian place of origins it sets the mode for Russian ancestry.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:17 PM

So then, which of the services does break down 'european'? I know I have scots ancestrors and some danes and probably those who lived where the danelaw ruled bedore. I am interested in which is more predominant. Also lots of ulster scots. Not to mention a very significant number of later scots from scotland (a great grandmother)

I can only do this once and don't want to waste my money.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
So then, which of the services does break down 'european'? I know I have scots ancestrors and some danes and probably those who lived where the danelaw ruled bedore. I am interested in which is more predominant. Also lots of ulster scots. Not to mention a very significant number of later scots from scotland (a great grandmother)

I can only do this once and don't want to waste my money.
You have Northern, Southern, and Eastern Euro. I tried to use the % sign to show where different ancestry within Europe will list. But if you look at French & German the two are not easily separated at this time. The same for British & Irish.

I think you will be quite satisfied with 23andMe if you go in knowing that there are some populations where there is no clear divide at this time. I do not think Scots are a current population so you may end up with a lot of "non-specific" European. But your British will show but just know that British and Irish are under the same category at this time.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:41 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,871,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
You have Northern, Southern, and Eastern Euro. I tried to use the % sign to show where different ancestry within Europe will list. But if you look at French & German the two are not easily separated at this time. The same for British & Irish.

I think you will be quite satisfied with 23andMe if you go in knowing that there are some populations where there is no clear divide at this time. I do not think Scots are a current population so you may end up with a lot of "non-specific" European. But your British will show but just know that British and Irish are under the same category at this time.
I agree, and am very happy with my results. Plus 23&me is a well funded startup that will continue to improve over time. As more data is available, the amount of interpretation they can do will be amazing.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:33 PM
bjh

30,849 posts, read 23,815,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post

Scots are included in the term British. Scotland is a part of the island called Great Britain.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Scots are included in the term British. Scotland is a part of the island called Great Britain.
Thanks. My great grand parents wouldn't like much being an 'other'. They might not like being tabbed 'British' either. Given the origion is different I'm surprised. One thing I'd love to find out is if any 'cousins' show up to lead to my other grandfather, if it really was the tall Englishman or Grandma looking English and tall was a fluke. The first husband and other kids were very short and look much different.

Is Ancestry really as bad as some say? I have no interest in the health thing and don't much like the temptation to look. I'd really like to see if any cousin's show up where I'm building my tree.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:45 AM
bjh

30,849 posts, read 23,815,332 times
Quote:
Thanks. My great grand parents wouldn't like much being an 'other'. They might not like being tabbed 'British' either. Given the origion is different I'm surprised. One thing I'd love to find out is if any 'cousins' show up to lead to my other grandfather, if it really was the tall Englishman or Grandma looking English and tall was a fluke. The first husband and other kids were very short and look much different.

Is Ancestry really as bad as some say? I have no interest in the health thing and don't much like the temptation to look. I'd really like to see if any cousin's show up where I'm building my tree.
I've not used Ancestry's DNA service, if that's what you mean, and don't know whether they have health information.

As for 23andMe you can opt out of the health information. I'm not sure how that works, because I didn't opt out. But it may just be unavailable. That would make the most sense anyway, rather than leaving customers with a link they may be tempted to click on.

I understand being reluctant about learning the health stuff, but I wanted to know what they'd say. But telling myself to keep it in perspective because they're saying you have a 2 in 100 chance for something versus a 1 in 100 chance. On the other hand, they also tell you when you have less chance for something.

I'd say, if you're uncomfortable with the health information, just skip it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy