Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 11:55 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,332,972 times

Advertisements

Well, ethnic Russians live west of the Ural mountains for the most part. That is thousands of miles away from China and Mongolia. Most Russians that live in Siberia today have only been there for the past century or so. Not much time to mix with each other and given the ethnic pride of the two people I don't see why they would want to. The religious divide between the two played a huge part I am sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 12:52 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I don't think that haplogroups are not accurate,
As opposed to what, facial characteristics, guess work, wishful thinking? If it isn't accurate then we need to throw out more than a century worth of genetic research.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:56 PM

26,773 posts, read 22,518,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
As usual, the erudite Ovacatto has nailed it.

I was not sure exactly how many ethnic groups exist in the bi-continental country of Russia, but I knew that there were many. Many more than Asian and Caucasian.
I'd say that such term as "Asian" includes a bigger variety of looks than traditional "Oriental" or "Mongloloid" look. For example Indians ( that is not Native Americans but people who live in India) are considered to be "Asian" as well, as far as I remember. Now Central Asia/Iran are ancient lands, the lands of former Persia, and how did people look there ORIGINALLY, before they were overrun by Arabs and Asian (that is Mongoloid) tribes is hard to say, however a Caucasian streak is very prominent in those areas, ( particularly it's noticeable in Tajikistan and in some other ethnicities living throughout those lands,) and it has little to do with Russians. Another very questionable area is Caucasus and Caucasians themselves ( Russians never used such term as "Caucasians" before, describing the Whites, they've always referred to them as "Europeans." The word "Caucasians" was reserved for... well, Caucasians, and that's a group of people ( there are tonnes of ethnicites living there,) who are really difficult to identify racially speaking, and even their languages are unrelated to any other languages in the world.
So there seems to be a "missing link" to something very ancient and yet unknown to us.
As for the rest of Asia - it's a mix between those unknown people, Mongoloids and Turks.

Quote:
Russian Caucasians have many different appearances. Actually, I think the "blond and blue eyed" stereotype is not the most common.
My comments are purely observational, but I have seen more Russians with light hair and dark eyes, than I have with "blond and blue".
I'd say that ethnic Russians vary from dark blond to light brown color of hair, with ash tint to it ( they even identify this range of colors with one word - "Rusiy" which might or might not refer to "Rus" and "Russians.") Children in villages usually look very blond though, lol, like they are bleached by the sun or something, but even then you see that "ash" tint to their hair. The eye color is ranging anywhere from blue to hazel and grey. I've rarely seen the deep dark brown color. The skin color varies; it can be extremely pale for Northern regions to darker shade in Southern regions.

Quote:
Other former Soviet countries have more racially mixed individuals that do Russia. Kazakhstan, a Central Asian former Soviet country has many racially mixed individuals. In fact, I think there are more Asian or mixed race people there then there are Caucasians.
I think so, but as I've said - it doesn't necessarily has got anything to do with Russians so much as with a fact that these lands have been overrun many times back in history.

Quote:
I am still not certain of what an "admixture" is and I have never, before now; heard of a person referenced thus.
I think that "admixture" refers to the kind of look in people, when you see slight presence of another race in them, although all the features of that race are not all that prominent.
May be Uralic people could be a good example of it?

Old 09-11-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Well, ethnic Russians live west of the Ural mountains
Even the term "ethnic Russians" is problematic since this west of the Urals population isn't any more homogenous than anywhere else, being comprised of two major groups northern and southern Russians who are further divided in to Slavic, Baltic, and those of Finno-Ugric origin.
Being quite distant from the Finno-Ugric group, the Southern Russians consequently differ from the Northern Russians in their closeness to the Germanic group. This difference indicates that the Germanic people played a significant role in the development of the southern, but not the northern segment of the Russian gene pool. In general, the Germanic influence on the formation of the Russians is not as obvious as the impact of the Slavic, Baltic, and Finno-Ugric people. However, strong interactions between the Germanic and Slavic tribes have been found in archaeological materials dating from the mid-first millennium B.C. to the early first millennium A.D. These interactions were the strongest on the northern coast of the Black Sea, in the area of the multi-ethnic Chernyakhov archaeological culture (second to fifth centuries A.D.). In the second half of the first millennium A.D., the descendants of this culture colonized the southern regions of the historical Russian area (Sedov, 1994, 1995). However, there is no evidence in the historical literature of the interaction between the Germanic tribes and the Slavs (and later, the Russians) after the Slavic colonization of the East European Plain. Therefore, the Germanic influence could not have occurred after the early part of the first millennium A.D., which was before the eastward Slavic migration (Sedov, 1994, 1995). Apparently, the impact of the Germanic people on the Chernyakhov Slavs affected the gene pool of modern Southern Russians, consequently differentiating them from the Northern Russians (Fig. 6).
Eurogenes Blog: Russian mtDNA, Goths of the Ukrainian steppe, and a proto-Slavic expansion from present-day Poland

Old 09-11-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
As opposed to what, facial characteristics, guess work, wishful thinking? If it isn't accurate then we need to throw out more than a century worth of genetic research.
I didn't say they were not "accurate," so let me quote what exactly I've said;

"I don't think that haplogroups are not accurate, I'm simply saying that the true meaning of them ( or what exactly they indicate) is not yet understood."

Old 09-11-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I think that "admixture" refers to the kind of look in people, when you see slight presence of another race in them, although all the features of that race are not all that prominent.
Oh, for god's sake stop thinking and take the time to read!

Two distinct genetic populations can mate and produce for all intents and purpose identical appearing offspring but with wildly varying physiology (see Tay-Sachs).

Old 09-11-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Even the term "ethnic Russians" is problematic since this west of the Urals population isn't any more homogenous than anywhere else, being comprised of two major groups northern and southern Russians who are further divided in to Slavic, Baltic, and those of Finno-Ugric origin.
Being quite distant from the Finno-Ugric group, the Southern Russians consequently differ from the Northern Russians in their closeness to the Germanic group. This difference indicates that the Germanic people played a significant role in the development of the southern, but not the northern segment of the Russian gene pool. In general, the Germanic influence on the formation of the Russians is not as obvious as the impact of the Slavic, Baltic, and Finno-Ugric people. However, strong interactions between the Germanic and Slavic tribes have been found in archaeological materials dating from the mid-first millennium B.C. to the early first millennium A.D. These interactions were the strongest on the northern coast of the Black Sea, in the area of the multi-ethnic Chernyakhov archaeological culture (second to fifth centuries A.D.). In the second half of the first millennium A.D., the descendants of this culture colonized the southern regions of the historical Russian area (Sedov, 1994, 1995). However, there is no evidence in the historical literature of the interaction between the Germanic tribes and the Slavs (and later, the Russians) after the Slavic colonization of the East European Plain. Therefore, the Germanic influence could not have occurred after the early part of the first millennium A.D., which was before the eastward Slavic migration (Sedov, 1994, 1995). Apparently, the impact of the Germanic people on the Chernyakhov Slavs affected the gene pool of modern Southern Russians, consequently differentiating them from the Northern Russians (Fig. 6).
Eurogenes Blog: Russian mtDNA, Goths of the Ukrainian steppe, and a proto-Slavic expansion from present-day Poland
No, the term "ethnic Russians" is not all that problematic; no one ever said that Russians were homogeneous group to begin with. If you dig into the origins of other European nations, they are not all that homogeneous groups as well - neither Germans nor French. That doesn't mean, however, that such thing as "ethnic French" or "ethnic Germans" doesn't exist.
Russians are, however, a younger nation than Europeans nations.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Oh, for god's sake stop thinking and take the time to read!

Two distinct genetic populations can mate and produce for all intents and purpose identical appearing offspring but with wildly varying physiology (see Tay-Sachs).
What it has got to do with "admixture" though?

Old 09-11-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I didn't say they were not "accurate," so let me quote what exactly I've said;

"I don't think that haplogroups are not accurate, I'm simply saying that the true meaning of them ( or what exactly they indicate) is not yet understood."
I apologize with a caveat:

That is why Sister Ignatius scolded us for using double negatives.

So, what are we to take from saying that the "true meaning" of haplogroups is not understood? To a point of absolute degree? What in science is? But I would argue that we have come a far, far ways since Luigi Luca Cavalli-Sforza's pioneering work on mapping human migration.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
No, the term "ethnic Russians" is not all that problematic; no one ever said that Russians were homogeneous group to begin with. If you dig into the origins of other European nations, they are not all that homogeneous groups as well - neither Germans nor French. That doesn't mean, however, that such thing as "ethnic French" or "ethnic Germans" doesn't exist.
Russians are, however, a younger nation than Europeans nations.
Alexander Pushkin and General Mikhail Kutuzov were "ethnic" Russians and neither had blond hair or blue eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy