Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 11:22 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,534,337 times

Advertisements

Now that you have you're raw data you can plug it into other programs online that will give you a lot more information about disease and ancestry than 23andme does. You can also put it through detox profiles to see if you have unregulated or down regulated versions of genes that rid your body of toxins and carcinogens.

I also have the variant that your husband has. A lot of people actually got upset with 23andme about that one because the people who "do learn from their mistakes" took it as being more timid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 11:23 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
I would bet that though some things cause or TRIGGER a disease, I think our genetics may predispose us to the weakness or tendency to develop that disease. For instance, alcoholism or lung cancer - we all know some people who can drink or not drink whenever they want - and others who can't drink at all, or they slide into active alcoholism. We know some people who smoke all their lives and never develop lung cancer, or who have worked side by side with others around asbestos, and some get mesothelioma and some don't. So I saw the results on the health side with my husband as showing WEAKNESSES or a higher chance of developing some of this stuff - not necessarily as the CAUSE of it.

For instance, gout - he has a higher than average chance. But whether or not he develops it still depends largely on environmental (dietary) factors.

That's probably true. The genetics are the clean slate and can tell us our genetic predispositions. Good thing to know and the sooner the better.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:30 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Now that you have you're raw data you can plug it into other programs online that will give you a lot more information about disease and ancestry than 23andme does. You can also put it through detox profiles to see if you have unregulated or down regulated versions of genes that rid your body of toxins and carcinogens.

I also have the variant that your husband has. A lot of people actually got upset with 23andme about that one because the people who "do learn from their mistakes" took it as being more timid.
Really? I had never even known there was a gene that predisposed people one way or the other.

I bet that people who marry and divorce repeatedly or go from one bizarre combination of personalities back to the same one over and over again often have that genetic trait.

Also, people who try something OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN till they succeed - or in spite of never succeeding - LOL. For instance, my husband, while not the biggest on the football team, was always one of the toughest and the most intense. Pain, injuries, etc - didn't matter. He was there to play football. Period!

His son is very much the same way. It can be a good trait or a bad trait - can go either way. Some people call it hard headed, and some people call it "an indomitable spirit!"

Interesting.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:40 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,942 times
wavaiking, could you post the detox profile? Is it the same as Prometheus?

As for the pain thing 23andMe identified me as having a low tolerance for pain. I had both the low tolerance alleles. Even a paper cut is like being stabbed to me, lol.

ETA, I also have both alleles for long term memory and one for avoiding errors. This is the part of 23andMe that I really like.

Last edited by CMichele; 10-23-2013 at 11:55 AM..

Old 10-23-2013, 11:42 AM

For 5 bucks you can upload your raw data to promethease, which will run a report with a lot more interesting info.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
wavaiking, could you post the detox profile? Is it the same as Prometheus?

As for the pain thing 23andMe identified me as having a low tolerance for pain. I had both the low tolerance alleles. Even a paper cut is like being stabbed to me, lol.

ETA, I also have both alleles for memory and one for avoiding errors. This is the part of 23andMe that I really like.
The detox profile is called genetic genie if I remember correctly. It's free.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:50 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
The detox profile is called genetic genie if I remember correctly. It's free.
Thanks. That name sounds familiar and I think I may have already used this before. Is it the MTHFR detector?

Yep, I did a search. I've already used this before. I'm actually pretty good when it comes to MTHFR. Thanks.

ETA, I don't think I did the detox profile, just the MTHFR. I will do it later on today. Thanks for posting this. I totally missed the detox thing.

I ran the detox tool. Four are positive (red), five are mixed (yellow), one is no call, and the rest are all green. That said, GSTT1 mutation is present.

Last edited by CMichele; 10-23-2013 at 12:10 PM..

Old 10-23-2013, 11:56 AM

There is also the detox profile that is separate from the mthfr profile. It's a different button at the top of the page.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:56 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,470,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK, now that we know more about him, and can clearly SEE his Scandinavian/Nordic bloodline all over his features, before my test results are in, any guesses? I just wonder if I am going to look as much like a stereotypical idea of my ancestral roots as he does.

(Excuse the Santa hats - I just thought this was a good picture of skin tone, hair texture, eye color, etc!) I definitely have a lot of "color" to my skin, I don't burn easily or freckle, a definite yellow/olive undertone, very dark eyes, and dark hair. It's dyed but it's very close to my natural color, or rather, former color - now I have more gray in it - stark white actually - than I want! When I get in the sun, you can see a lot of red in it and when I was younger (teens and early twenties) it was a dark auburn but over the years the red lessened. Actually, when I was a little girl (till I was about 6) my hair was actually strawberry BLONDE if you can believe it - and very curly. Wow, things change with age!
What a good looking couple you are. You must have beautiful children.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:01 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,470,737 times
Is 23andme the best and most detailed to use if you want to know a breakdown of your ancestry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy