Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 08:38 AM

803 posts, read 1,667,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Is 23andme the best and most detailed to use if you want to know a breakdown of your ancestry?
AncestryDNA has the upper hand with their recent update, for now... they have more populations/regions to compare your data with. Some people that have done both AncestryDNA and 23andMe claimed the former was more accurate, or it explained a portion of their ancestry that 23andMe showed as unknown/unassigned.

http://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2...e-discoveries/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 09:23 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,534,337 times
I wish ancestry would allow a raw data transfer. I'd pay the money I just don't feel like getting a kit and sending it in and waiting

Old 10-24-2013, 10:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
I wish ancestry would allow a raw data transfer. I'd pay the money I just don't feel like getting a kit and sending it in and waiting
Right on.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:17 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,143 times
I just mailed in my test kit so now im waiting.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:40 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
I just mailed in my test kit so now im waiting.
Best of luck to you. Please send and accept requests to share.

Today I have found 2 new "big" ancestors by DNA community standards show up in my RF. One has accepted my request to share but our common DNA is in a strange place for me. He is on need more info status.

I do hope the other relative will accept my request.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Best of luck to you. Please send and accept requests to share.

Today I have found 2 new "big" ancestors by DNA community standards show up in my RF. One has accepted my request to share but our common DNA is in a strange place for me. He is on need more info status.

I do hope the other relative will accept my request.
Thank you.I see....I hope so too I hate it when family don't want anything to do with me.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:05 AM

7 posts, read 11,059 times
I ordered 23andMe kits last Saturday, received them on Thursday and have sent them in for processing (mostly interested in the genetic health results form this test). My husband and I have previously done AncestryDNA and I have done FTDna Family Finder and waiting for mtDNA results. It will be interesting to compare all four tests.

Nancy

Old 10-26-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisenan View Post
I ordered 23andMe kits last Saturday, received them on Thursday and have sent them in for processing (mostly interested in the genetic health results form this test). My husband and I have previously done AncestryDNA and I have done FTDna Family Finder and waiting for mtDNA results. It will be interesting to compare all four tests.

Nancy
good luck.hope all turns out well

Old 10-26-2013, 12:32 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckodeirish View Post
I just sent mine in today! I'm worried that my results will just say "hillbilly" lol.

This reminded me of when I when I was in the forth grade. The teacher told us all to find out "what we had in us" from our parents, and come in the next day to talk about it. I'll never forget my moms face when I asked or her answer: "tell her we're just regular white people". I also never forget how embarrassed I was to give this answer in front of my class. I am a VA. hillbilly raised in CA. and wish she'd just said that's what I was.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:11 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
It would now probably be politically incorrect to ask a question like that. I don't know.

Anyway--My 23andme kit just arrived. I know I'm English on both sides but you never know what else could have sneaked in there. There are stories of native American very early and I have always wondered about some contact with black people somehow in England. (Just from looking at people's features in old photos.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy