Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 02:45 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
Archeologists have told us that our species took form, came from the African continent about 200,000 years ago. Just where on the continent is still a debate. Some relatively recent discoveries have changed the focus to the "Middle East", in present day Israel...
Even if our ancestors somehow became "human" just as their migrations out of east Africa took them to or through what is now Israel, we're still all Africans originally. *All* of the really old fossils, australopithecines and other pre-human ancestors, are found in one fairly small area of eastern central Africa.

Yes I embrace it.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:20 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,304,383 times
A great article by Henry Louis Gates Jr. on this How Many White People Have Hidden Black Ancestry? - The Root

He just cites the different sources that have already been referenced here but I always find Gates puts things in a very powerful and meaningful way. I love the documentaries he hosts and talks in, as well as the genealogy tv shows he has done.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:49 PM

624 posts, read 763,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
Most americans are mixed. Black americans are mixed with European, yet whites having african ancestry is often ignored. Do white americans embrace their African ancestry? Also, I just read something about Heather Locklear, who is blonde and blue eyed, having African ancestry.
Locklear's ancestors are from a tri-racial ethnic group that mostly lived in the hollars of the South

Melungeon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-15-2014, 01:54 PM

624 posts, read 763,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Yes the Lumbee are very interesting. They are more African and European than Native American. A lot of Lumbee don't have any Native American ancestry. There is a lot of controversy about them.

A Report on Research of Lumbee Origins by Robert K. Thomas – Part 15 – Lumbee Identify – Their View of Themselves | Native Heritage Project

GeneaBlogie: Can DNA Solve "The Lumbee Problem"?
My bad, I thought I had read she was Melungeon

Old 07-15-2014, 05:08 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Locklear is a very common Lumbee name here. I just found this on Heather and the Lumbee being recognized by the State of NC, but not by the feds. Heather Locklear - NativeCelebs profiles

Old 07-15-2014, 07:43 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,702 times
Should Europeans embrace their Africaness??? Honestly their are tons of European who do just that, and they go to their country clubs, and get to travel the world, and this and that. Lets be realistic a European is not going to embrace anything unless they have the chance to. Remember how we would get along with each other, remember the melting pot days of the 1990's???? It was like that. To Europeans everything is a gimmick, a LETS PLAY PRETEND, LETS PLAY DRESS UP. It is called a TREND, and they move on to the next trend. Yesterday was Japan, before that was China, and today it was Korea. Even before that was France, Russia, Germany, Turkey. Only today nobody seems to want to get into the Orient. Bottom-line embrassing their Africaness is long gone, and we practice segragation. Everybody is having a good time, just not the people in the middle. By that I mean the races that are the melting pot, like the Latino's, Orientals, and Indians. That is what people would look like if we merged and so forth. People already find ways to rejects everybody, so why care anymore. I mean look at the last ten looney years.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:50 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,304,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
Should Europeans embrace their Africaness??? Honestly their are tons of European who do just that, and they go to their country clubs, and get to travel the world, and this and that. Lets be realistic a European is not going to embrace anything unless they have the chance to. Remember how we would get along with each other, remember the melting pot days of the 1990's???? It was like that. To Europeans everything is a gimmick, a LETS PLAY PRETEND, LETS PLAY DRESS UP. It is called a TREND, and they move on to the next trend. Yesterday was Japan, before that was China, and today it was Korea. Even before that was France, Russia, Germany, Turkey. Only today nobody seems to want to get into the Orient. Bottom-line embrassing their Africaness is long gone, and we practice segragation. Everybody is having a good time, just not the people in the middle. By that I mean the races that are the melting pot, like the Latino's, Orientals, and Indians. That is what people would look like if we merged and so forth. People already find ways to rejects everybody, so why care anymore. I mean look at the last ten looney years.
No offense but (really I don't mean any), but I have no clue what you are saying. Maybe breaking up your paragraphs and sentences might help.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:03 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,060,605 times
White Americans should embrace their European ancestry such as Ireland, Poland, France, Germany, England. Where did your ancestors come from of the old world?

Embrace that

Old 07-23-2014, 02:22 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,905,096 times
Most so called African Americans ARE in fact mixed race!

Old 07-23-2014, 02:26 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,905,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
Most americans are mixed. Black americans are mixed with European, yet whites having african ancestry is often ignored. Do white americans embrace their African ancestry? Also, I just read something about Heather Locklear, who is blonde and blue eyed, having African ancestry.
People be acting so brand new to this information when this is common open public knowledge. People need to get their heads out of the gutter:

Essays on the U.S. Color Line » Blog Archive » Melungeons, Redbones, and other U.S. Maroons (E3)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy