Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 03:29 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times

Advertisements

Most folks don't even really know who their great grandparents were, so what difference does it make?
Nobody had anything to do with what great whatever did with great whatever and what their backgrounds were, so unless you decide to pay for a DNA test to specifically note it, it doesn't matter.

Most Americans are a mix anyway of multiple races, I know for instance my GGGrandfather was very friendly with a lady whose ancestry had a more than passing aquaintence with someone from one of the local Indian tribes, so what?

Does that mean the 1/164th part of me or less that may or may not be American Indian has any relevence to who I am or what I do? Nope.
Just means I am another American.

Why make a fuss over it?

Old 10-22-2013, 04:46 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
You are convinced the TEA party is racist? On what grounds?

Cite your sources.

It gets ridiculous, doesn't it?
You're kidding me, right?

http://www.motherjones.com/slideshow...t-signs/*****r

10 Most Offensive Tea Party Signs And Extensive Photo Coverage From Tax Day Protests (PHOTOS)

Tea Party's Most Offensive & Racist Signs - YouTube

Florida Congressman Compares Tea Party to Ku Klux Klan - ABC News

The Tea Party’s Legacy of Racism | Consortiumnews

Old 10-22-2013, 04:49 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
For the same reasons that we have the NAACP, affirmative action, Black History Month, black pride, and my particular favorite - all the d-bags that refer to themselves as "African American".
African Americans aren't the ones who weren't allowed to be full Americans. We have all of the above because America - white America - held us aside as inferior and different for centuries. We all know who the real d-bags are, don't we?

Old 10-22-2013, 05:09 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,961,723 times
All this is a mute point as the generations coming up today care less and less about the racial makeup of a person. Have people noticed the mixed couple commercials on TV or mixed marriages in the news?

Just as a POI check this out starting tonight on PBS:

The African Americans: Many Rivers to Cross - With Henry Louis Gates, Jr. | PBS

Old 10-22-2013, 07:47 PM

573 posts, read 1,050,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
Most americans are mixed. Black americans are mixed with European, yet whites having african ancestry is often ignored. Do white americans embrace their African ancestry? Also, I just read something about Heather Locklear, who is blonde and blue eyed, having African ancestry.
Why would they want to?

Old 10-22-2013, 08:33 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_TC View Post
Why would they want to?
Why would they not want to?

Old 10-22-2013, 08:36 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,100 times
Quote:
Obama is considered black when he is likely more than 1/2 white? Why don't people embrace that?
This is a good point, and something I've often thought about in many other circumstances. But in this case, "the world" demands that he must decide which 50 percent to acknowledge. Dark skin is dominant, just as brown eyes are dominant over blue. He had to choose how to identify himself because, though I may be wrong, I don't believe our society, customs, etc., have created an exact "half-half" box to tick.

He's a perfect example of why some things just are the way they are -- if Jesus had been born in Finnish-Russia and papyrus biblical scrolls had been found there instead of Israel, that would be a sacred place to Christians, as well as Jews who follow the OT. Everyone has to be born somewhere.

But as someone else posted, we are all one human species. Negro and Caucasian comprise a tiny smidgen of humanity, but we just can't get past that because our forebears erred, in my opinion, when deciding it was okay to buy and sell people based on their skin color. If we look at the wider scope of the universality and common connection among all of us, it wouldn't be much of an issue. But hey, we're still evolving -- I hope!

Old 10-22-2013, 08:48 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times

Wow...a real live dumpster diver. You had to scratch hard for that load of BS. Liberals will pull the race card if popcorn or rice is served white. The funny thing...it is white liberals, usually rich, who fan the flames. Liberalism exists to make liberals feel good. Its all about feel good emotions rather than facts and reality. When they can't think of anything worthwhile they put together videos like this of obscure signs.
If even one sign was 'controversial' does it condemn the whole? Think of the implications of your answer before you type it.

This guy is a trip. Does he want to be taken serious? He looks like an Imperial Grand Wizard from the 50s. Meaning? He would be wearing the red hood. The photo is hilarious as it is pure liberal propaganda.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/alan-grayson-tea-party-kkk-98673.html

Last edited by armory; 10-22-2013 at 09:08 PM..

Old 10-22-2013, 08:52 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,761,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Wow...a real live dumpster diver. You had to scratch hard for that load of BS. Liberals will pull the race card if popcorn or rice is served white. The funny thing...it is white liberals, usually rich, are who fanning the flames. Liberalism exists to make liberals feel good. Its all about feel good emotions rather than facts and reality. When they can't think of anything worthwhile they put together videos like this of obscure signs.
If even one sign was 'controversial' does it condemn the whole? Think of the implications of your answer before you type it.

This guy is a trip. Does he want to be taken serious? He looks like an Imperial Grand Wizard from the 50s. Meaning? He would be wearing the red hood. The photo is hilarious as it is pure liberal propaganda.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/alan-grayson-tea-party-kkk-98673.html

And anyone who cites Alan Grayson as an authority on anything is beyond ignorant . . . both need to grow up

Old 10-22-2013, 09:15 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
The reality is that most white Americans just don't have any recent African ancestry. Many black Americans do because of the way some "owners" behaved with their slaves. But most whites didn't own slaves and many didn't come into contact with blacks, if they lived in areas where blacks hadn't settled yet.
Exactly. Virtually all American blacks have European genes for this reason, but far fewer white Americans have African genes. Even then, there is a difference between the genes of north, west, south and east Africa. Also, a lot of white Americans (i.e. Southern and Eastern Europe, Jews, etc.) immigrated here AFTER slavery had already ended.

I did one of the DNA tests and confirmed that I am 99.8% European, .1% East Asian and .1% unassigned. I suppose there is a chance (however minuscule) that .1% is African, but I don't think I am going to embrace it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy