Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2013, 02:05 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times

Advertisements

The article is undated but, from references inside the article, appears to have been written this month:

Inside 23andMe founder Anne Wojcicki's $99 DNA Revolution | Fast Company | Business + Innovation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 06:21 PM

393 posts, read 1,496,646 times
That's a great article, very informative, and I like the way the author interwove it with her own experience with 23andMe. I'm glad I took the test.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
What a fascinating article - thank you so much for sharing it~!

Old 10-27-2013, 07:43 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,646,091 times
Quote:
My husband felt differently. "I go with fate," he said. He felt that what seemed like a forbidden glimpse at elevated risk factors or rare carrier states wouldn't improve the quality of his life, but would instead saddle him with a sense of helpless anxiety. Still, he agreed that we owed our daughter as much information about herself as we could find. In June, a package with our test tubes arrived in the mailbox. "Remember," my husband warned kindly as I opened the envelope, as user-friendly as the Netflix DVD variety. "There's such a thing as having too much information."

This is the part that makes me wary. I don't want that health information because what if, though I'm sure it's an up-and-up business, human error interferes or the tests just reveal the wrong things? I would never consider testing there for the health-related reasons alone. Just tell me from whence I came, and what routes they took. Otherwise, it feels too personally invasive for me.

Also, I know myself, and I would obsess about these findings to the nth degree. But I'm hopeful others are more proactive-thinking than I am.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:17 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
This is the part that makes me wary. I don't want that health information because what if, though I'm sure it's an up-and-up business, human error interferes or the tests just reveal the wrong things? I would never consider testing there for the health-related reasons alone. Just tell me from whence I came, and what routes they took. Otherwise, it feels too personally invasive for me.

Also, I know myself, and I would obsess about these findings to the nth degree. But I'm hopeful others are more proactive-thinking than I am.
The health stuff is very interesting to me. It's not just about diseases and syndromes but also about traits.

Of course, I can say that with ease because my health results came back clean as a whistle and telling me that I have a higher than average chance of living to be 100 years old or older. I might feel differently if something ominous had shown up.

But if I were considering getting married and having kids, I'd strongly consider having myself and my partner tested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy