Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 08:59 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
My picture is on the site and I have never experienced anyone not wanting to communicate with me due to my race. Matter of fact, I sometimes get people reaching out to me to see if we are related or for general genealogy chat.
You're probably really attractive.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:06 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,525,023 times
Actually most of us in this thread probably share a direct ancestor, if we were able to go back far enough in time.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:13 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
What I don't understand is why being related in some way to royalty is such a big thing.
The way I see it, British royal lines have been well-traced and very well documented, written about in books, and researched by countless historians.

Personally, I would love to be related in some way to any famous line; not because it is "cool" to have a famous royal connection, but because you will be able to explore so much more of your bloodline through documented accounts.

Who wouldn't want to be able to read countless historical novel depicting their ancestors in great detail?

Old 10-27-2013, 11:12 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
The way I see it, British royal lines have been well-traced and very well documented, written about in books, and researched by countless historians.

Personally, I would love to be related in some way to any famous line; not because it is "cool" to have a famous royal connection, but because you will be able to explore so much more of your bloodline through documented accounts.

Who wouldn't want to be able to read countless historical novel depicting their ancestors in great detail?
Right. Also, if your ancestors immigrated to North America from Great Britain before about 1750, you have more of a chance of being related to European royalty than someone living IN Great Britain now. That's because many younger sons of noble lineage, who had limited inheritance benefits in GB, migrated to North America for the land opportunities (not to mention other opportunities). So...many wealthy or well connected families in GB were represented in the early settlers of America.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:32 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
Back to the point the OP made, my wife is like 99.9 Northern European with .1% Unknown according to 23andme. She never logged into 23andme again after discovering that the rumors she was part American Indian were possibly untrue.
The absence of Native American DNA as tested by current methods does not exclude native American ancestry. It just means that the alleles in the test bank are not present in your DNA. So while the presence of those alleles is confirmatory, the absence of them is not exclusionary. You may have a Native American in your tree but just did not happen to inherit one of the genes that 23AndMe associates with Native Americans from him. In fact, you may have no contribution to your genome from him at all. it may have completely disappeared from his descendants before your generation.

On Genetics: Genetic Genealogy and the Single Segment

The math in the article made me cross-eyed, but the explanation is clear.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:36 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,162,912 times
@va-lucky

How long ago did she get her results? I have a DNA relative with initial results questioning her NA heritage. At that time 23andMe was still using the Ancestry Painting and X chromosome info did not factor into your breakdown. Once they switched over to Ancestry Composition that included X chromosome painting my relative's NA ancestry was revealed.

Also, her NA segments may be so small that they are just not detected at 23andMe. She could have many small segments that add up. She should either upload to Gedmatch or send her results to Dr. McDonald.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:40 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,439,623 times
I've read that so many royals were sexually active with commoners is why so many have royals in their ancestry.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:07 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,533,513 times
Wow you guys really took this and ran with it lol. I posted it more as a vent from all of the posts on 23andme. Didn't mean any offense. Also not sure what's going on in the post above this one lol

Last edited by waviking24; 10-27-2013 at 12:15 PM..

Old 10-27-2013, 12:15 PM

I think it's a matter of so many generations of so many "white people" DENYING even the most remote possibility that "any other kinda blood" just might have snuck in there. I mean, I am a "white person" with very dark eyes and very dark, coarse, thick, curly hair. As a plain ol' white girl growing up, I actually received Afro Sheen as a gag gift several times in high school. I often heard jokes of "who snuck into the woodpile" or "Did your mama get jumped taking out the trash one night?" - that sort of thing. I mean, it just "wasn't done." Even when it WAS done.

I think people are delving into it with some relish and curiosity now that it's not considered something to be hidden or to be ashamed of now. Personally, I think it's healthy.

The pendulum has swung too far in the other direction for too long - time for some correction and more openness about the histories and lifestyles of the people who ALL contributed to who we each are today.

My 23andme results might be lily white for all I know - but it really won't matter to me one way or the other. I am simply curious, and of COURSE if something previously undiscovered makes it's way to the light, I'll be excited about it - no matter the color of the skin involved.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:18 PM

For instance, who on earth would have thought that my extremely Aryan looking husband would be nearly 2 percent subSaharan African? LOL you can bet I got a kick out of telling his mother that! (Is that bad?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy