Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2013, 08:13 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times

Advertisements

Okay. You folks have gotten me excited about this test. I did read the whole thread several days ago and haven't looked at it again until just now. So........

I have my brother (deceased) at FTDNA, Y chrom. But, I want what you guys are doing. What tests do you recommend or that you are having done and which companies are best ? I am a little limited on funds as I am 70 and still working.....groan....but, I could do a couple of tests or same test different companies.

Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 08:25 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Okay. You folks have gotten me excited about this test. I did read the whole thread several days ago and haven't looked at it again until just now. So........

I have my brother (deceased) at FTDNA, Y chrom. But, I want what you guys are doing. What tests do you recommend or that you are having done and which companies are best ? I am a little limited on funds as I am 70 and still working.....groan....but, I could do a couple of tests or same test different companies.

Any help is appreciated.
If you have a spouse, children, or grand kids why not ask for it for as a Christmas present? Between 4-5 people they can easily pitch in $20-$25 each. I'm in the process of getting a brother to complete this for my paternal line and I've only used 23andMe. One day soon I will upload to FamilyTreeDNA but I'm in no hurry since many people upload to Gedmatch and you can make connections there.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
CMichele, that's a good idea! I am thinking about giving a test to my daughter as a gift.

I just sent my file into Dr McDonald to finally put to rest the family lore of Indians and Jews. Also, 23andme only assigned 4 percent of my ancestry to German and French ancestry, and since my maiden name is German and my mother's grandmother was a Boyette from Louisiana, I am looking for a bit more info there. Of course, both those groups may fall into that 29 percent non specified Northern European but I really don't think the Boyettes are NORTHERN European. Not that bunch of Cajuns! LOL

Old 11-19-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
CMichele, that's a good idea! I am thinking about giving a test to my daughter as a gift.

I just sent my file into Dr McDonald to finally put to rest the family lore of Indians and Jews. Also, 23andme only assigned 4 percent of my ancestry to German and French ancestry, and since my maiden name is German and my mother's grandmother was a Boyette from Louisiana, I am looking for a bit more info there. Of course, both those groups may fall into that 29 percent non specified Northern European but I really don't think the Boyettes are NORTHERN European. Not that bunch of Cajuns! LOL
Don't forget that you can now referral test and earn a $10 Amazon.com gift card with each referral.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:19 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,533,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Did he say that he would take a look at your sample? I wanted to send mine into him back in the day, but kept reading that he wouldn't take anymore samples from (presumably) full European descendants. Let us know if he actually gets back to you, because thats something I would like to do as well.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:21 AM

I hadn't heard that he was no longer taking Euro descendants. That's interesting.

My last report from Dr. McDonald:

he following are possible population sets and their fractions,
most likely at the top
Mandenka= 0.822 Mbuti Py= 0.049 Irish= 0.129 or
Mandenka= 0.822 Mbuti Py= 0.049 English= 0.129 or
Mandenka= 0.569 Bantu Ke= 0.316 Lithuani= 0.116 or
Mandenka= 0.820 Mbuti Py= 0.049 Hungary= 0.130 or
Mandenka= 0.651 Bantu So= 0.217 Irish= 0.131 or
Mandenka= 0.822 Mbuti Py= 0.050 Finland= 0.128 or
Yoruba= 0.815 O-Ethiop= 0.070 Lithuani= 0.116 or
Mandenka= 0.818 San= 0.054 Irish= 0.128 or
Yoruba= 0.674 Bantu Ke= 0.194 Belorus= 0.132 or
Mandenka= 0.822 Mbuti Py= 0.049 Belorus= 0.129

Don’t believe the Pygmy or San in the above ... they and the non-Western
African likely imply that the African is from somewhere just east of south
of the Nigeria-Senegal area, but still west/central Africa. It can’t be
pinpointed with out limited set of comparisons. There is also 0.5% each
Native American and East Asian.

__

Further conversation with him revealed that certain Africans trend East European for some odd reason indicating a place of origins in central or east of west African. I believe he is diligently working on correcting this mislabel. So WAViking may be correct in his information because he did mention the lack of available African populations to make a definitve call.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:40 AM

3,126 posts, read 5,051,193 times
This was the msg posted on 23andMe. I didn't send mine for analysis because I'm not really in need of info. Since we have known Native American maybe he would be interested in us.
-----------------------------------

***MESSAGE FROM DOUG MCDONALD***

I am being swamped by requests for BGA analyses. I simply can no longer
accommodate all these requests. I am, at least for a while, going to continue
providing them free, if people will limit themselves to sending only
“important” ones. These include adoptees looking for answers and people
whose commercial analyses provide strange answers to whether they have
Native American, African or Jewish ancestry. Note that the new 23andme “Ancestry
Composition” is, on a “continent” level, essentially as good as my system.
FTDNA and Ancestry are much less accurate and if you tested with them
and they missed expected small bits, I still can take a look. If you are
Afro-(Euro)American and FTDNA said you are part Eastern European, I’ll
check that. Try to describe the question you need answered.

I am still looking for special people to test as comparisons, mostly
people with Native American not from Central America.

In particular, I really can’t keep up with requests from essentially 100% European
people unless they have special questions such as possible Jewish or Roma.
Also, if you have parents their children, please send only parents. Some people
have sent me large numbers of files. If these people send more, I can look at them
only if they have very special needs.

Finally, if you got my address from some Web forum, please copy
the above occasionally, as I do not frequent these.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
This was the msg posted on 23andMe. I didn't send mine for analysis because I'm not really in need of info. Since we have known Native American maybe he would be interested in us.
-----------------------------------

***MESSAGE FROM DOUG MCDONALD***

I am being swamped by requests for BGA analyses. I simply can no longer
accommodate all these requests. I am, at least for a while, going to continue
providing them free, if people will limit themselves to sending only
“important” ones. These include adoptees looking for answers and people
whose commercial analyses provide strange answers to whether they have
Native American, African or Jewish ancestry. Note that the new 23andme “Ancestry
Composition” is, on a “continent” level, essentially as good as my system.
FTDNA and Ancestry are much less accurate and if you tested with them
and they missed expected small bits, I still can take a look. If you are
Afro-(Euro)American and FTDNA said you are part Eastern European, I’ll
check that. Try to describe the question you need answered.

I am still looking for special people to test as comparisons, mostly
people with Native American not from Central America.

In particular, I really can’t keep up with requests from essentially 100% European
people unless they have special questions such as possible Jewish or Roma.
Also, if you have parents their children, please send only parents. Some people
have sent me large numbers of files. If these people send more, I can look at them
only if they have very special needs.

Finally, if you got my address from some Web forum, please copy
the above occasionally, as I do not frequent these.
My last communication with him was along this line, especially the bolded part. He is also correct with the new(er) AC at 23andMe. It basically told me what he shared with me.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:10 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,533,757 times
Have any of you who have been on 23andme for awhile seen any changes to your AC with the most recent update?

Old 11-19-2013, 10:20 AM

803 posts, read 1,667,837 times
Got my results as well... 99.9% European, 0.1% Unassigned in Standard mode. Most of that is nonspecific Northern European (~60%) and nonspecific European (~25%) with lesser amounts of British and Irish, French and German, Eastern Euro, Southern Euro and Ashkenazi (< 0.1%). Speculative mode shows less in the nonspecific Northern category, with most of it transferred to the North European subcategories, and slightly higher amounts in the other regional European categories.

All very interesting, especially the Ashkenazi which may be legit. I personally think the GEDMatch and InterpretToMe utilities do a better job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy