U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 01:06 PM

2,432 posts, read 3,265,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASOT View Post
I noticed some mentions about their poor customer service on the web prior to buying a kit, but most of the complaints were from several years ago. I think part of it is the rapid increase in business they've experienced recently, but in any case, it seems to be an area they need to work on.

I received my Countries of Ancestry results today, so hopefully the Ancestry Composition will follow soon...
Based on your post I just checked. My husband and dad have Neanderthal % and I can compare my DNA similarities with them to see how much we match but the countries isn't in yet. I can check all their info. because we shared info. through the web site. It is very informative to compare with people you know. It makes the info. more interesting.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 01:08 PM

8,223 posts, read 12,814,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
--Ancestry: They tie your test results in with your family tree. You automatically get hooked up with strangers who might be related, and you have no choice of being totally anonymous. You can be identified by either your name, or your Ancestry.com ID (which is most of my name).
My understanding is that if your ACOM tree is private, people will still need your permission to view it even through DNA connections. It's not much different from the ACOM "tree hints" - you'll get "hint" connections but they won't be able to see anything more than the fact that there's a match. Also, you can change your ACOM ID anytime so that it's not your real name.

There's also Family Tree DNA - Genetic Genealogy Starts Here - another $99 autosomal test.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:36 PM

40,981 posts, read 32,696,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASOT View Post
I noticed some mentions about their poor customer service on the web prior to buying a kit, but most of the complaints were from several years ago. I think part of it is the rapid increase in business they've experienced recently, but in any case, it seems to be an area they need to work on.

I received my Countries of Ancestry results today, so hopefully the Ancestry Composition will follow soon...
Keep us posted. I received my countries of ancestry about five days ago. No Ancestry Composition yet - and I received my health results at least three weeks ago. My husband received ALL of his stuff a month ago. We mailed ours in on the same day from the same post office.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:42 PM

18,005 posts, read 17,159,915 times
I sent in my test kit a week ago and have been notified that they received it at 23andME.

It could be that they are temporarily overwhelmed by the amount of work coming in and they probably are trying to hire more people to keep up with it. That's my theory. They said my results would be out in 4-6 weeks. (like a Christmas present)

Old 11-11-2013, 01:44 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
714 posts, read 776,166 times
well, 23andme varies in the time it processes the ancestry mix. the more mixed you are, the more time it takes to get processed. I actually took 3 months to get my full results because my first sample was contanimated and the second one took a while to get processed.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:46 PM

Another thing about 23andme - the "countries of origin" section is interesting, but totally speculative. It actually tells you next to nothing about your REAL genetic ancestry, other than people who say their parents or grandparents came from a certain country share some similiar DNA with you. There's nothing truly "genetic" about it when it comes to what race or ethnic group your ancestors may have been, if they did indeed ever live there. For instance, I know for a hard, cold fact that I have German ancestry. I am sure that when the actual ancestral composition results are in, my "German DNA" will show up. And yet, there's not a mention of Germany anywhere in anything from 23andme so far. They do, however, say that one of my probable "countries of origin" is the Philippines. Now THAT strikes me as funny. Of course, the Philippines is a veritable melting pot of ethnicities, so I could have some tenuous connection to the Philippines some sort of way, but it's almost certainly via some European ancestor, probably from Spain.

We'll see...if I ever, ever, ever, ever, ever get my ancestry composition results back. Ever. Ever ever.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:52 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,873,041 times
Maybe they are doing something with Ancestry Composition and that's why your batch is taking so long. Most people get their ancestry composition before their countries of ancestry. I didn't get my COA until 2 weeks after everything else actually. I also agree that countries of ancestry means absolutely nothing for someone with colonial American ancestry.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Maybe they are doing something with Ancestry Composition and that's why your batch is taking so long. Most people get their ancestry composition before their countries of ancestry. I didn't get my COA until 2 weeks after everything else actually
Maybe so. But you'd think they'd at least respond to my question and give me an update.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:54 PM
bjh

26,106 posts, read 22,790,774 times
Our 23andMe results came in quickly with no delays, but that's within the stated time frame. It does take some time for all results. Since 23andMe was smart enough to lower the price their business has boomed. They must be dealing with a heavy volume of work. Good things are: 1. results will come and 2. their lower priced caused their competitors to offer lower priced products, too, and 3. what you get seems more useful and thorough than the other DNA service companies.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:58 PM
bjh

26,106 posts, read 22,790,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Maybe they are doing something with Ancestry Composition and that's why your batch is taking so long. Most people get their ancestry composition before their countries of ancestry. I didn't get my COA until 2 weeks after everything else actually. I also agree that countries of ancestry means absolutely nothing for someone with colonial American ancestry.
Not necessarily. Colonial Americans had many different countries of origin and races. As we've seen, sometimes there are surprises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy