U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 04:44 AM

8,216 posts, read 12,805,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I'm not happy with them either! It's all just speculation. It says I'm 21% Irish/British when it's a fact my paternal grandmother is 100% Irish which by itself would make me 25% Irish. And along with known English, Scottish, and Welsh ancestry the numbers don't add up.

Oh, and it also says I'm part Turkish. Really?!

The health stuff is also a crock!

Edit: right, reading through some other threads is this saying my maternal line is 21% Irish/British and then the paternal which I know about is at least 25% Irish making me about 50% Irish/British?
That's not the way it works. When it comes to ethnicity, you don't inherit exactly 25% from each grandparent - how much you inherit is totally random. ACOM explains it pretty well here: Why are my AncestryDNA ethnicity results different than I expected?

How DNA inheritance and other factors impact ethnicity

Sometimes ethnicity results may differ from what a person would expect based on their research. There are a few reasons why your ethnicity may not be exactly what you expected:

Your DNA is inherited through the generations

Even though about half of your DNA is inherited from your mother and half from your father, each half is variable and can result in many unique combinations. Since each parent may pass 0 to 50% of an ethnicity down to their children, when you factor that out over a few hundred years and several generations, you may share little or no DNA in common with a specific ancestor.

In the example below, there are four 2nd Great Grandparents who each have DNA that is 50% of a designated ethnicity. You can see that over time, due to the way that DNA inheritance works, your ratio of inherited ethnicity can vary significantly by the time their DNA reaches you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 05:52 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,576,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
That's not the way it works. When it comes to ethnicity, you don't inherit exactly 25% from each grandparent - how much you inherit is totally random. ACOM explains it pretty well here: Why are my AncestryDNA ethnicity results different than I expected?

How DNA inheritance and other factors impact ethnicity

Sometimes ethnicity results may differ from what a person would expect based on their research. There are a few reasons why your ethnicity may not be exactly what you expected:

Your DNA is inherited through the generations

Even though about half of your DNA is inherited from your mother and half from your father, each half is variable and can result in many unique combinations. Since each parent may pass 0 to 50% of an ethnicity down to their children, when you factor that out over a few hundred years and several generations, you may share little or no DNA in common with a specific ancestor.

In the example below, there are four 2nd Great Grandparents who each have DNA that is 50% of a designated ethnicity. You can see that over time, due to the way that DNA inheritance works, your ratio of inherited ethnicity can vary significantly by the time their DNA reaches you.

Complex stuff. Thanks.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:56 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,576,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
So if our family has been in the US for a long time, all we'll get is American? What about all those pieces that make up American? I've done the family history so I know they're mostly from England originally but there was a Dutch man, and I'm hoping there's a native American in very early Canada or Vermont.

Can you only find that kind of thing out with Ancestry? and another $99.00.
Mine came up British/Irish, Dutch, Turkish (?), Norwegian. But I have some ancestors that were in the US since the early 1700's. I don't really understand how we could come up as American? Maybe because we always think of Americans as mutts unless they are native Americans?

Old 11-12-2013, 06:50 AM

40,888 posts, read 32,658,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I'm not happy with them either! It's all just speculation. It says I'm 21% Irish/British when it's a fact my paternal grandmother is 100% Irish which by itself would make me 25% Irish. And along with known English, Scottish, and Welsh ancestry the numbers don't add up.

Oh, and it also says I'm part Turkish. Really?!

The health stuff is also a crock!

Edit: right, reading through some other threads is this saying my maternal line is 21% Irish/British and then the paternal which I know about is at least 25% Irish making me about 50% Irish/British?
I don't know - it beats me. The information is very confusing. Apparently I'm not smart enough genetically to figure out how to parse the information given!

Old 11-12-2013, 07:17 AM

9,064 posts, read 9,221,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hm, I just got a response from 23andme on their FB page. It basically tells me nothing, other than "test times can vary" and "our customer care reps work M-F so response time can vary."
Anastasia's granddaughter! Could it really be you?

Old 11-12-2013, 07:18 AM

40,888 posts, read 32,658,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Anastasia's granddaughter! Could it really be you?
Well, one of my "countries of ancestry" is Belarus, so....you never can tell!

(But I highly doubt it.)

Old 11-12-2013, 08:28 AM

1,661 posts, read 1,871,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
So if our family has been in the US for a long time, all we'll get is American? What about all those pieces that make up American? I've done the family history so I know they're mostly from England originally but there was a Dutch man, and I'm hoping there's a native American in very early Canada or Vermont.

Can you only find that kind of thing out with Ancestry? and another $99.00.
No I was just saying that for the countries of ancestry portion, which is basically just your dna relatives saying where there grandparents were born. Your ancestry composition section is based in your dna compared to their reference samples which will give you you're British/German/SSA, etc.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:30 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,154,040 times
I know that they are further breaking down African and Asian DNA into more specific categories. For about a week I stopped getting new relatives and chalked it up to that. However, in the last week I've gained at least 25 new relatives.

I still think that the more specific populations are the hold up. When they switched from Ancestry Painting to Ancestry Composition results were taking much longer to come in. That coupled with the price drop to $99 really increased processing time.

I am expecting a holiday special since AncestryDNA is now $99, too. Be prepared for an even longer wait if they aren't in by that time.

I'm sorry you have to wait so long. I orderly shortly after Thanksgiving in 2011, received kit by the early second week in Dec, and had results early Jan 2012.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:52 AM

8,124 posts, read 5,697,149 times
Is it correct that the DNA tests can't provide the patrilineal genetic history due to the lack of a Y chromosome in females?

Old 11-12-2013, 11:01 AM

17,985 posts, read 17,140,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
No I was just saying that for the countries of ancestry portion, which is basically just your dna relatives saying where there grandparents were born. Your ancestry composition section is based in your dna compared to their reference samples which will give you you're British/German/SSA, etc.
OOOOH. So for my COUNTRIES of ANCESTRY portion it will say American, American, American because they lived here for so long. That's only one portion of it. Another portion will be based upon the DNA--the ancestry composition, and that's what I am interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy