U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2013, 11:11 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,155,241 times

Advertisements

Hhmm, OP, what did you list for your 4 grandparents and their place of origins? Also, did you identify as Ashkenazi Jewish?

Also, what is your proposed DNA background as you know it right now?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 11:15 AM

2,422 posts, read 3,263,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
OOOOH. So for my COUNTRIES of ANCESTRY portion it will say American, American, American because they lived here for so long. That's only one portion of it. Another portion will be based upon the DNA--the ancestry composition, and that's what I am interested in.
Actually I think it will list where other people have reported their grandparents are from when they have DNA bits that match your DNA bits.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:41 AM

40,911 posts, read 32,676,353 times
Quote:
OOOOH. So for my COUNTRIES of ANCESTRY portion it will say American, American, American because they lived here for so long. That's only one portion of it. Another portion will be based upon the DNA--the ancestry composition, and that's what I am interested in.
Well, most of my family has been in North America since the early 1700s (even the early 1600s in a few cases) so I didn't know what to expect, but my results under countries of ancestry listed the following:

United Kingdom
1.8%

Ireland
0.2%

Sweden
0.1%

Philippines
0.1%

Netherlands
0.1%

France
0.1%

Denmark
0.1%

Belarus
0.1%

We don't know as much about my mother's side of the family as we do about my dad's side, so who knows?

Old 11-12-2013, 11:41 AM

1,661 posts, read 1,872,149 times
Quote:
Exactly

Old 11-12-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, most of my family has been in North America since the early 1700s (even the early 1600s in a few cases) so I didn't know what to expect, but my results under countries of ancestry listed the following:

United Kingdom
1.8%

Ireland
0.2%

Sweden
0.1%

Philippines
0.1%

Netherlands
0.1%

France
0.1%

Denmark
0.1%

Belarus
0.1%

We don't know as much about my mother's side of the family as we do about my dad's side, so who knows?
If you go into advanced controls on that screen and check the box that says include USA, Canada, etc then what does it show?

Old 11-12-2013, 11:46 AM

40,911 posts, read 32,676,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Actually I think it will list where other people have reported their grandparents are from when they have DNA bits that match your DNA bits.
Right - and it has to be BOTH sets of grandparents from the SAME country.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right - and it has to be BOTH sets of grandparents from the SAME country.
But you can go into advanced controls and change that as well

Old 11-12-2013, 01:57 PM

3,675 posts, read 2,484,076 times
I'm waiting for my results as well at 123andMe but I'm not particularly impatient as I don't expect any surprises and I have work to do on my family tree to keep me busy in the meantime.

From what I've been reading, many people who have taken the test with AncestryDNA or 123andMe decide to download their raw data results and then upload them for further analysis to:

(1) GEDmatch: GEDmatch - Tools for DNA and genealogy research

I believe there are sorts of ancestry analysis you can do there. Unfortunately, GEDmatch is down right now. The uploading and analysis is free and if I remember correctly, they accept donations to keep the site going.

(2) FamilyTree DNA: Family Tree DNA - Genetic Genealogy Starts Here

Instead of paying $99 to have an autosomal DNA test done again there, you can pay $49 (regularly $69, special promotion to Dec 31) to upload your raw data from 123andMe or AncestryDNA.

https://www.familytreedna.com/landin...a-landing.aspx

Family Tree DNA - Products and pricing (scroll down to see the price of $49)

Old 11-12-2013, 02:56 PM

17,994 posts, read 17,150,498 times
Well, I want the DNA so I hope that $49 offer is still good when I get my results back. Like Kathryn, my ancestors on one side have all been here since the 1600s so that means I'll get just about no clue of where they really came from I guess. This is confusing. They came from England as Puritans so any match would say either America or England except for the guy who was Dutch and maybe a native American. arrrggggh. The native American would say American too so I won't know if I have a native American after all.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Well, I want the DNA so I hope that $49 offer is still good when I get my results back. Like Kathryn, my ancestors on one side have all been here since the 1600s so that means I'll get just about no clue of where they really came from I guess. This is confusing. They came from England as Puritans so any match would say either America or England except for the guy who was Dutch and maybe a native American. arrrggggh. The native American would say American too so I won't know if I have a native American after all.
Noooo it's not that complicated. The Native American will be differentiated from the rest. Both of my sides have been here since the revolution or earlier and mine came out perfectly clear. The only thing you are likely to get that isn't helpful is a large junk of non-specific European. The only thing that will say United States is in the countries of ancestry which is just your dna relatives grandparents. Your Ancestry Conposition will not show any American unless you have Native American as in American Indian. Otherwise it will show whatever European dna you have or other such as SSA. Its pretty thorough in my opinion considering what a melting pot this country is and has been.

Also, do what the post two above this one says about gedmatch. I'd skip ftdna and save the money if I could go back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy